1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ650RJ Seca Cylinder Base Gasket/Piston Ring job

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by JMark, Feb 4, 2023.

1. JMark

JMark Member

I used baby powder to verify that, indeed, I have an oil leak at the cylinder base gasket tight at the location of a broken cooling fin. I suspect I knocked something over in the garage into it breaking the fin and hitting the gasket somehow? It's a pretty significant leak, so since I will have to disassemble this far, I did a compression test showing low compression on #'s 2 and 3, with a significant improvement wet, so I'll be changing rings while at it. my questions:

1 What should I make sure I do while I dig in this far? Chain guide?

2 How much farther would I have to dig to get to the starter clutch? I don't want to mess with crank bearings etc., so I am assuming splitting the cases is more than I want to do, but could I split them and do the starter clutch without that much more work? I rebuilt the starter last year and it has made the starter connect 80% better but sometimes it still just spins.

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Splitting the case is actually pretty easy see my thread on the "Dreaded starter clutch" I have pictures , and directions. Once you remove engine , and flip over it is just a matter of removing bolts, and clutch cover, left side cover ,oil sump , the alternator rotor , I bought an overhaul kit from England very good quality kit .

Attached picture is a stater clutch

I used a wooden palate this worked great to keep from marring the engine cases . I've done two starter clutches now and helped via phone Mr Seca do his xj900 ....On his the starter clutch was cracked . Attached

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    JMark likes this.
  3. JMark

JMark Member

Thank you!

4. JMark

JMark Member

5. JMark

JMark Member

Well I screwed that post up! Here is what I was trying to say:

In your thread there is considerable discussion about the chain guide. Is this referring to the primary chain guide? In some earlier correspondence with my bikes previous to previous owner (I lucked into finding him on Facebook) he says he replaced that in 2016. Or is it the chain guide for the cam chain?

6. JMark

JMark Member

OK, I've been perusing this, and still don't quite understand. Do I have to split the cases to get to the Starter Clutch? Or are you saying I can get to it through where the alternator rotor is?

Last edited: May 2, 2023
  7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

You have to split the cases to get to the starter clutch.

JMark likes this.
  8. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of inside engine the starter clutch is on left and has the large chain on it.

Attached Files:

JMark likes this.
  9. JMark

JMark Member

Thanks!

10. vashtsdaytona

vashtsdaytona Active Member

Not to speak out my butt as I've not worked on 650. The repairs you need to do can be done in frame. The repairs you want to do require removing engine. I wouldn't say it's hard all things are just time. So the question for you is do you want to pull engine or not?

11. JMark

JMark Member

Engine is out, cylinder is honed and ready for new piston rings. Starter clutch works fine most of the time and I am freaked out and worried I'll do more harm than good by splitting the cases, and am leaning towards reassembling and keeping the oil changed and up, as that seems to make a difference on the starter clutch. I had a leak at the cylinder base gasket which is what prompted the whole process.

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Time and money now or possibly more time and money later? You are halfway there. That's the issue. You might not get problems with the parts inside the crankcase. Most important thing is working methodically making bolt templates out of cardboard and numbering them for the case bolts. It's not difficult if you decide to split the cases just post questions as you go and take loads of photographs.

JMark likes this.
  13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Here is @Mezzmo video from his build on engine reassembly.

14. JMark

JMark Member

Ugh, y'all are so supportive where do I find more excuses! I guess, I'll have to do it! Just anxious to get it out and ride. It's a beautiful day!

15. JMark

JMark Member

Just noticed you're in Fargo! I'm in Minneapolis, and my daughter will be starting at NDSU this fall.

16. vashtsdaytona

vashtsdaytona Active Member

I also went to ndsu. Small world

JMark likes this.
  17. JMark

JMark Member

Anyone else have difficulty with the clutch center nut? I bent the tabs out, and have a flat piece of steel with some bolts to hold the drive shaft flange from turning, but when I try to turn the nut, there is a whole lot of give in the transmission (it feels like) and that makes me worried about doing damage with all that torque. That said, I don't think I can match the torque of the engine, but it doesn't normally have the driveshaft immobilized, either.

18. JMark

JMark Member

Neighbor's impact driver to the rescue. Gotta get me one of those!

19. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you can just borrow one then you’re good!!

but the little cordless impacts are really nice to have.

a monster 1/2 drive is nice to have too. Just not needed as frequently

20. JMark

JMark Member

Aren’t there supposed to be a pair of these half moon circlips at each of these four locations in the picture? (please excuse the double line on the one arrow).

I only have them in the upper case, they are in position in the main pic. Second pic is one of them in case my terminology is incorrect.

Attached Files: