1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 Bobber Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by mnrider, Aug 22, 2014.

1. mnrider

mnrider Member

Thanks! It was fun to make. The fuel tank was bought from lowbrow customs. But just looking on there today to find a link, I don't see it anymore. and did I have to modify anything, yes. I grinded off all the old tank mounts and on the spine of the bike, I had to weld in tabs for the new tank.

Yeah that's why I try to ride the bike on back roads and roads with low traffic to help with that quick response issue. And I've thought about those TC bros forwards controls but with my seat being much lower and further back, I feel my legs would be resting against the motor while riding so that's why I've held off on buying them. The look, yes would be awesome. Maybe I should just buy them, and give it a try.

2. DeanXJ750

DeanXJ750 Member

Slick man. Love love love that wheel paint.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It's trickier when you also have to manually adjust the spark advance, and pump more oil into the top end by hand. Ahhhh...the joys of motorcyles from the 20's.

jayrodoh likes this.
  4. DeanXJ750

DeanXJ750 Member

5. Brandon Amundson

Brandon Amundson New Member

Im trying to lower my bike, is this my only option of lowering it? Or can I order smaller struts?

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The U-joint does not like the bike to be lowered by much.

7. mnrider

mnrider Member

Thank you, I appreciate it! I wanted to go for that classic rat rod black and red look and it came together well.

Oh I could only imagine. I have an older guy that I work with that told me before I started this build that 'you aren't a true motorcycle rider unless you have a footclutch'. He was real old school so he had a big smile when I showed up to work on this guy.

My bike isn't lowered at all. I had to weld the swing arm to the frame but before I did, I made marks where everything was stock with the springs on there. I didn't want to change anything with that shaft, and glad I didn't. It just looks like that because the seat is lower down.