1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Build Progress

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJ650SECATAY, May 20, 2022.

1. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

She runs after putting it all back together and working out the wiring!

A few notes:
    • Installed 2nd oversize pistons on final assembly of cylinders and head. Head and cylinders were rebuilt and bored by a machine shop. Final bore after second oversize is: 63.5mm.
    • HID headlights do not play well with an m-unit. We had to resort to using the stock headlight. Possible LED upgrade in the future, but the stock light works perfect with the stock reflector.
    • Rebuilt carbs and installed 6-sigma jet kit to jet for pods after following Mezzmo Engineering's carb rebuild video
    What is needed:
    1. Finalize brake lines: There was a very small brake fluid leak on the left caliper where the banjo bolt screws in. The powder coat had to be stripped from those surfaces, so I am wondering if I just went a little too heavy and slightly gouged it. The rest of the system turned out fine, but I can't bleed them until that is sorted out.
    2. Custom throttle cable made and just needs to be lubed, along with the rest of the cables.
    3. I am trying out some really aggressive after market pegs, but I may just end up buying new pads for stock pegs. Still looking for passenger pegs! Let me know if someone has a set that they are looking to get rid of.
    4. I have two tanks. Both with tank liner inside. I have fought with myself since day one about the tank liner possibly being an issue in the future, but I don't care about it anymore after pressure testing both and finding no issues. I am clear coating the bare metal tank for now and looking into re-finishing the yellow tank (thanks @Simmy ) in a color that I have been interested in. Let me know what your thoughts are on either though. Open to suggestions.

Question
    We are hearing a chain-like noise with the bike running. It is obvious to assume that it is the timing chain, but I want to make sure it is normal. Is it the timing chain we are hearing? I still have the automatic chain tensioner. Wondering if this is the cause. Videos posted below

I am sure there is still some fine tuning needed in a few areas, but these are all of the remaining (more major) items needed before I will consider it to be running and driving. Once they are done, I will drive it to the local upholsterer to finish up the seat. I realized a while ago that I have put way more money into this bike than I should have, and it has taken me way to long to get to this point. But, all-in-all, super excited to be this close!

I will update this post when these items are completed!

PXL_20220519_021655880.jpg PXL_20220517_025503931.jpg PXL_20220517_025513074.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    chacal likes this.
  2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

It's got two chains cam and starter/alternator.

XJ650SECATAY likes this.
  3. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

I wasn't thinking about that one! Thank you. From the videos, does this sound normal?

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Are the header pipe nuts tight? You have no air filters on. I am wondering if the noise is more to do with induction noise (no air filters) than chains. I don't think it is the chains. Alternator/starter chain guide would need to fail to get noise from that chain. Cam chain would need to be worn and or tensioner not tensioning the chain guide property. Our bikes are air cooled so mechanical noise is louder than water cooled engines. Check with filters on and make sure no exhaust gases are leaking at cylinder head and pipe silencer connections. As far as chains are concerned your engine sounds fine to me.

XJ650SECATAY likes this.
  5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Well, three actually.............everyone forgets the oil pump drive chain.

Franz and XJ650SECATAY like this.
  6. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

I'm sure I'm just over thinking. The filters were off only for a few minutes while we tested starting/running, but I will test with filters on as well. I will also double check tightness on exhaust system to be safe. Thanks for your help!

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I didn't forget it l just didn't think it could make enough noise :p.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    XJ650SECATAY likes this.
  8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

A loose baffle or header pipe can make a rattling noise that people think is from the cam chain etc. That's why you want to make sure you have no loose parts on the engine before considering chains etc.

XJ650SECATAY likes this.