1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 xj1100 project

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MPL, Nov 16, 2020.

1. MPL

MPL New Member

I started taking my XJ1100G apart a couple weeks ago. Life, work and other projects happen. Last night I wrestled the motor out. It was quite the chore. There were ropes, ratchet straps, pinch bars and a lot of patience. Now it’s out.
    I still need to remove the kick stands. Then I can start focusing on cleaning all the parts up, painting and getting it looking nice.
    I’ve taken lots of photos and video through out, and I’m thinking of doing it piece by piece opposite of how it got to this point.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on which order to put the bike back together? The motor won’t be going in the way it came out after everything’s painted. There’s lots to do before then.
    Now that the motor is out, what else should I change to get the most life out of the machine? (Gaskets etc...) I’ve attached a photo of the motor.

Attached Files:

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Its always easier to fit a bare frame (with airbox) over the motor instead of fitting the motor into a nearly finished chassis.
    Then fork crowns, forks, front wheel and centre stand. Now you have a 3 legged piece that stands on it's own.

3. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

It's also easier to fit the XJ/XS1100 engine with the oil filter housing off the engine.

4. MPL

MPL New Member

Last day before holidays and I’m really looking forward to taking some of the days off work to really dig into this project.
    I’ve started stripping the frame. Checking the welds and getting it cleaned up for paint. I used kwik strip then orbital sander. Now that I’m getting into some of the harder to reach areas with a dremel tool and wire brushes. I noticed this dimple in the frame. Wondering if it’s normal or not?

Attached Files:

5. MPL

MPL New Member

A correction to the original post this bike is a xj1100J

6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

To refit engine put frame in the grass lay engine with the right side facing down , with the help of another person lower the frame onto the engine. You can put the motor mount bolts on the left side , tilt frame and engine upright and then put right side engine mounts in place . The main reason to do this over grass is you will not scratch or mar the engine side covers and mitigate scratching the freshly painted frame . This is my latest project started with frame and engine.

Attached Files:

7. MPL

MPL New Member

Getting into the block now. Not sure if this is good, bad or ugly? It’s got 60000km on it.

Attached Files:

8. MPL

MPL New Member

Like an onion

Attached Files:

9. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

I meant to reply to this back when posted. There's a similar "dimple" on the XJR frame. I built this XJR1200 12 years ago from parts on the internet and thought it about time to give it a bit of a refurb.
    [​IMG]WP_20210105_14_06_00_Pro_LI[1] by Billy Bananahead, on Flickr

Franz and Jetfixer like this.
  10. MPL

MPL New Member

Thanks. And happy new year. I figured the dent was for the welded mount. This bike was beaten up by the previous owner. Into the motor now and coming to terms with the fact that it might not be back on the road come the spring. It will be worth it to get it right and not rush.

11. MPL

MPL New Member

I’ve just about got the motor disassembled. I’m glad I did a complete tear down. Today I had a little time to inspect the primary chain and noticed a link was broken. This caused some wear to the guide. Looks like more parts to add to the want list.

Attached Files:

Jetfixer likes this.
  12. MPL

MPL New Member

I was doing some work on the lower case the other day and noticed a hole that didn’t look too clean. I’m wondering if it’s worn through, or if it’s supposed to be there?

Attached Files:

13. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Which part of the case is it? Can you take a picture a bit further away so we can see where it is in relation to the rest of it?
    It does look a bit dodgy but maybe not. I've just give some cases to the scrapman so can't check. Doh!

14. MPL

MPL New Member

The hole in question is toward the bottom of the photo.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

15. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

There it is. Easier to find now.

HoleInCase.png

16. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Hard to tell. Could it be the breather orifice for the middle gearbox? The lads over at Forums - XS11.club Forums might be able to help you better. They deal solely in the XS/XJ1100's.