1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1985 Maxim-X 750 Recommission - Putting it back together

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Munxcub, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Munxcub

Munxcub Member

So I noticed while warming it up to go for a rip this evening that there was some arcing between one of the spark plug boots and the cylinder head. I assume I need to replace the boot, but is that possible or do I need to replace the whole coil assembly? Also, how serious an issue is this? Do I need to keep it parked until it's sorted? There are no misfires and it runs great.

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Are you referring to the large/thick orange boot at the base of the hard plastic resistive PLUG CAP, or the small black boot at the top of the hard plastic resistive PLUG CAP, where the spark plug wire (from the coil) enters the PLUG CAP?

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The caps and boots are replaceable, and the man above has them in stock.
    Start her up in a dark room or after sundown and check the state of the wires. They can be replaced too, but it's a bit more work since they are moulded into the coil body.

4. Munxcub

Munxcub Member

It was arcing here, at that round notch in the valve cover.

arc.jpg

But of course when I went to take a little video of it this morning it was not doing it...

5. k-moe

OK order new plug wire caps and the rubber boots. They screw on/off of the plug wires.

6. Munxcub

Munxcub Member

While waiting for the new cap assemblies to come, can it still be driven? What if I give the arcing cap a few wraps of e-tape? I can wait until next week when they come but I just want to ride! But I also don't want to cause a bigger issue by doing so...

7. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam

I've read that it's not good to power the TCI when there are no spark plugs attached (for example, disconnecting all you spark plugs when doing a compression test) but I would think as long as the coil is discharged and the spark has somewhere to go the risk of damaging anything electrical is minimal.

Now depending on how bad the arc is, you'll have the associated performance problems, possible fouled plugs, un burnt fuel entering the exhaust. etc.

That said, I'd patch it up and ride.

8. k-moe

As long as there is an arc to ground the TCI won't be harmed. Vynal electrical tape will not insulate voltage that high. You can wrap the caps with a self-amalgamating tape (often sold as miracle tape), which will insulate that.

9. Munxcub

Munxcub Member

Cool thanks guys. Should hopefully have the new caps this week.

10. Munxcub

Munxcub Member

Can anyone tell me if there is a colant overflow/recovery tank that will work on this bike? Mine is getting brittle and cracking a bit but it doesn't look like there is an OEM or aftermarket replacement available... If there is nothing that can work, I guess I'll just have to try to plastic weld it or something.

ETA: also, how can I go about testing that my fan comes on at the right time? I haven't ever noticed it come on and it's gotten pretty high on the temp gauge a couple times...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015