1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

For Sale 1986 Yamaha FZX 700 Fazer

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by saftie, Oct 7, 2018.

1. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Have a running Fazer for sale, clean title
    Tires in good shape, fairly new.
    High mileage but purrs like a kitten. Will take video next time I take her out of garage.
    Three known issues: Soft fork (haven't looked into it yet), hand control brake switch doesnt trigger brake light and horn not working. Everything else works and lights up.

Not shown in pics, but I have them, are carb side covers. I also have a nose fairing which will come with bike - if price is right. I have a 150 offer on that part but would hate to separate from bike since you can't really find them anymore.

Have it posted for 2300 but can take a little less as long as she goes to a good home.
    I can deliver up to a certain distance, I'm in Queens .

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/mcy/d/1986-yamaha-fzx-700-fazer/6716318971.html

Here some pics in case link expires

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I feel that funny urge.... mussst reesssissssttt.

That sure is sharp.

I may have some extra parts, too, if it does sell. I'll see what they are....

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  3. saftie

I'll make it easy for you:
    I can give you a good price and deliver to your door step this weekend.

jayrodoh likes this.
  4. hogfiddles

Now ya twisted my arm too much--- I guess we gotta talk. I'll call you today when I get home.... traveling at the moment

5. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

I feel a road trip coming on... Shotgun?

Jelly!

p.s. No fair creating a "pre carb clinic" run. We're not even into 2019 yet.

p.p.s. I hear Dave has been going to VYOA Meetings (Vintage Yamaha Owners Anonymous) to break the habit. He's been doing really well with it. I feel like you're encouraging a relapse.

Dave: "No, no... That Fazer is not mine... I'm just holding it for a friend!"

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  6. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Still working on my other projects so have to pass on it.

And, with so many of the Fazers molested, it's good to see it has the original airbox and exhaust.

FYI: Just say "NO" to pods
    001.JPG
    Now if some fool hadn't switched to pods, maybe sitting outside with the mice crawling all over wouldn't have been so bad?
    Adding insult to injury, #4 cylinder is locked up because the valves were open and moisture got in while it was on the kickstand.

BTW, thanks for the FZR1000 engine Gabor. That's what I'm using to revive this one, at a mere 14K miles, into a 911cc.

Tony

7. hogfiddles

"Hi, my name is, um.... uhh---- Dave:(..... and, uh-I'm ummm, I have....uhhh..... contracted ummmmm.... M A S (Motorcycle Acquisition Symdrome)

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  8. xHondaHack

....so you're adding another to the stable?

Tony

9. saftie

That's what he was trying to say, yes.
    Well, I am glad this bike goes to Dave. She'll be in good hands and I do get to see her at least once a year.

And Tony, awesome to hear the engine is put to good use. I have to find time to work on my fzr again. Started to take her apart for carbs, engine overhaul etc. but that was months ago and she's been sitting like that since March. Wish I had more time and space.
    Still have my friend's harley on the table as well.

10. AlexEpiscopalian

AlexEpiscopalian New Member

Any chance you still have any 86 fzr 700 parts?

11. saftie

No, sorry.

AlexEpiscopalian likes this.
  12. AlexEpiscopalian

AlexEpiscopalian New Member

Whoops actually meant to ask you if you still have any of the 86 fzr700 parts?

13. hogfiddles

Nope-- all the parts are on my fazer ;)

14. Avi

Avi Member

Good evening,

I am aware that this is a very old post and I also know it's a little bit off topic but I will give it a try and hopefully I'll get a response.
    I found a 1986 Yamaha Fazer 700cc for sale and this is what I know about the motorcycle.

It's in a non running condition, after sitting for more than 6 years in a garage.
    Its mechanical condition and history is unknown since the seller is not the original owner.
    Cosmetically it's in an okay condition with some expected rust and corrosion. This is an impression I got from seeing pictures and not the bike itself.

The asking price is $800 and I need an advise from an experienced Fazer owner.

Is the asking price okay for the condition mentioned above?
    Also if I can get an expert opinion about the fix/restore project, is it going to be a painful process considering the limited information and parts availability?

Thank you all, stay safe, healthy and have a great weekend!

Avi

15. hogfiddles

1. Does it have a clean good open title?
    2.does it turn over when it has juice to the starter?

If so, $700 or less is where I’d be at. If it’s rough, of course it goes down from there. If it doesn’t have a title, then I’d be hard pressed to go past $250-$300. If you can squirt gas into the cylinders and get it to just fire even a couple plugs, Offer $700, talk up the rust and cosmetic issues and hopefully he’ll take it. Otherwise, give him the $800 and get out of Dodge. It’s not a common bike. You probably won’t have another chance for one

16. xHondaHack

Avi,

This is a great site to ask questions, and see that is your first post. Welcome aboard!

So from my experience on the Fazer 700, and being a model offered only for two years in the US,
    it is becoming more difficult to source parts and you'll have to be prepared for that if you purchase it.

That particular bike came up on CL (yes I monitor postings every few days) and the asking price was $950.
    Then it got dropped to $400 then the posting was deleted (I was considering it as another parts bike).

It then showed up in a different town a couple of days later, with an asking price of $800
    and is currently reduced to $600. (Recheck the listing for yourself)

So, as you mentioned, it's not the original owner, and if it doesn't have a clean title (as hogfiddles asked),
    it may be very difficult to register once a buyer (you) puts the money into getting on the road.
    No doubt it doesn't run, but it has a lot of good parts on it.

I don't know what your mechanical capabilities are, so that may be a factor in determining whether a bike like this makes sense? Just because a bike can be gotten cheap, doesn't mean it a wise purchase.

Tony

P.S. Saftie - hope you don't mind that I hijacked you old posting.

17. Avi

Avi Member

Good morning!

Thank you for the guidance and the support I sure need both.

In short I am 52 years old, I had a long 20 years break from riding motorcycles and I decided this winter that coming spring I will pursue my old addiction again.

I already bought two motorcycles, a daily SV650 and something I never had VS1400 custom chopper conversion. This will be the third one I am looking at...I was serious when I said addiction...

I guess I will have to go and see what's the status of the motorcycle and deicide if I want to take this project upon myself.

Thank you all again and I will update once I have any progress or decision.

Stay safe, healthy and have a great weekend!

Avi

18. Avi

Avi Member

Hi again,

I am aware that the two motorcycles I mentioned are not of the Yamaha brand and some may wonder what am I doing here but I hope that soon I will join the group as a proud Yamaha family member... ;-)

And once again stay safe, healthy and have a great weekend!

Avi

Franz, hogfiddles and jayrodoh like this.
  19. hogfiddles

That’s ok—-I have about 75 motorcycles, most of which are XJ’s.....but there are a couple Honda’s, and a couple Suzuki’s, and a Big Dog.

while I am partial to the Xj’s, I like the others a lot too. While I am partial to returning a bike to factory, I can appreciate someone’s desire to modify. It comes down to this——I respect ANYONE who is nuts enough to sit, straddle, and balance themselves on top of a 500lb block of metal, and ride it down the road at 60 mph with other vehicles coming at them.

dfox

20. xHondaHack

No matter your choice of rides, we don't judge, and welcome any enthusiast with an "addiction".
    I'd say many of us have been "born again" getting back on two wheels, myself included.

Tony