1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1986 Yamaha Maxim XJ750X Opinions/Advice!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by RileyK, Mar 29, 2018.

1. RileyK

RileyK New Member

So tonight I am going to look at 86 Maxim 750x that a buddy is considering buying. I am wondering what I should look for on these liquid cooled beasts and what I should know getting into it. I have some experience working on my 82 XJ750R Seca. How much of that carries over, what is parts availability, do they share parts with the XJ700X/XJ750 maxim, how reliable are they etc.. Any other things you experienced guys think I should know would be greatly appreciated!

Some info on the bike:

• 41000km ... is this lots how many km are these known to last for
    • Carbs say rebuilt.. I know how specifically the carbs need to be cleaned on XJ750's so who knows..
    • Brakes need work.. are these standard parts I can get
    • Listed for $1400 Canadian.. Thats a good price considering what people want for maxim up here I think. What are these worth in the US?
    Overall bike looks in good shape: Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 10.18.08 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 10.18.15 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 10.18.23 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 10.18.08 AM.png

Jetfixer likes this.
  2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Looks good , as far as parts at the top right of this page is xj4ever he has almost all the parts . Replace the brake hoses with braided steel (xj4ever has them) Appears bike has stock airbox KEEP it do not try PODS ( NOT the TIDE kind either) CV carbs do not work very well with these. Good luck .

3. RileyK

RileyK New Member

Ahaha posted ten hours ago and she is sold! Thanks though.