1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

2002 Aprilia RST Futura 1000

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

This is taking me a little out of my comfort zone, but for the price I could let it go. Here is the new fall project.
    [​IMG]Futura (2) by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    That is the good side and looks really good.
    [​IMG]Futura 2 (2) by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    This is the bad side.

These bike are V twins with 8 valves. This is the touring model that has better seating and bag mounts on the back. I have joined the forum for this bike and have reading up on a lot of the after market mods that need to be done to the electrical system. Like our bikes and a lot of the metric bikes, seems the "three wires" going to the voltage regulator and believe it or not, adding a Ford solenoid in place of the OEM to pull more Amps to the started.

I have it running but need to really take care of some of the safety issues it has and then look at taking care of the road rash. The mirror issues is a little more invasive, they have build in turn signals. I either have to replace them with ZX 10 integrated mirrors or separate the mirror and turn signals completely.

More photos and update to come.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Nice my cousin had one of those before he got his Goldwing.

3. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

The grim reaper is a nice touch. I assume you'll be doing paint. :)

4. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You need to do your signature with bikes owned, fixed, and sold. Seems like you are always getting a new one and it's hard to keep up with :)

Franz likes this.
  5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

@Rooster53, Yes I guess I should, it is a big hobby of mine and I only seem to keep three bikes registered to ride. They other I fix and flip.

Yes will be doing a little body work on that left panel and paint. The problem being it will never match. Same type of paint that was on my ZX-14 in three layers. A base color, a metal flake color and top coat. So the question now come up, do I just paint both side or that faring part the same color so the bike matches? Hmm

Did the first Mod on it yesterday, put a fort solenoid in place of the OME. Allows more amps to pass to the starter and made a huge difference in how fast the engine turns. So it also starts much faster.

6. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    That can't be right. Exchanging an expensive, hard to get, exotic Italian part for an inexpensive, easily acquired, common part AND having it work better. That is just weird.

Timbox and Franz like this.
  7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

That's what l do as much as possible :D

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Filling in the left cowling to get rid of those deep scratches in the abs. Just going to smooth it out the best I can, blend it and paint both sides flat black. Hoping that will make it look good enough not to get laughed as I ride, (not that I would care). Some of the common issues like vacuum hoses have been replace. I need to jack the back end up and run through the gears. Check the back wheel as the bearing is a issue with the model. I home it is good as the replacement bearing set it $400. The speedo sensor is in the rear wheel on this bike.

9. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Is the speedo sensor something integral to the bearings? If they happen to be bad is it possible to take them to a commercial bearing house (Applied Bearings) and see if they have or can get the same size? That would be worth the time and effort I would think. Likely even be a better quality bearing than OEM and way less money.

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

@Fuller56, so far I am lucky and have a good rear end with no bearing issues. I have been reading up on Futura model weak points and that is one of them. I agree with you that just putting other bearings in there would work and then maybe use a GPS speedo instead. I hope it does not come to that.

11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Having some issues finding parts for this bike. Been waiting on clutch slave "O" rings and master diaphragm. Been about a month and the AF1 guys have not even shipped them yet. After sending them a reminder email, I picked up a cheap replacement clutch slave that will be here soon. As for the master diaphragm, will have to see what I can do.

Will order the ZX-10 mirrors today for replacement of the OEM's.

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Parts came in for from AF1. Changed out the slave "O" ring and followed youtube vid, worked great. Clutch was fighting me for a while, didn't want to bleed, finally did. Put the new rear brake reservoir on and flushed system. Put some sir in the tires and grabbed the helmet.

I normally test drive a bike a mile or so and then look for any issues, leaks and strange smells. This bike had none so I kept riding. The 1000cc vtwin is supper smooth, good power but not roll on wheelie power in the stock form. Seat is all day comfortable after 18 miles of riding it. Front brakes are supper responsive and almost aggressive but easy to get used to.

More reading and research will need to be done to see if I can flash the ECU and the exhaust is so quite. This bike is a taller person or someone that has long lets. I am on my toes with both feed down at a stop sign. If you find one of these on the cheap like I did, I would pick it up for something different. Will I add this to my stable, I don't know.

Having a 1984 Honda Sabre v65 and this bike I will have to see what I keep. Having the FI is a really nice feature and the more modern everything. I will need some time to see if one goes or they both stay.

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

ZX-10 turn signals are on, bike is ready to go finally. Put her in the back of the shed and a cover on her for the winter. Hope to have the title in hand this spring to ride her for a yr or so.

Simmy likes this.
  14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Sold this bike this spring. It was just too tall for me and I already had the Bandit. I find myself looking for cruiser bikes now days...I guess time is catching up with me...lol