1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

30% of the way there...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Zoot_Suit, Jan 5, 2024.

1. minimuttly

minimuttly Active Member

It sounds rich at idle, but then I think I heard at least two backfires - if this was into the airbox it means it's weak - which possibly means you need to set the idle mixtures, but could be you have some idle jet inconsistencies?
    Did you re-use all the original idle jets?

2. Zoot_Suit

Zoot_Suit Active Member

Yes,I re-used all of the original jets.

That backfiring has cleared up. I suspect it was due to a mixture of 110 octane racing fuel and two stroke fuel. o_O

3. Zoot_Suit

Zoot_Suit Active Member

The day after I finished the bike, I got a mysterious Amazon package at my door.

It was from my sister.

...who is just as much of a smart-ass as me...

Screenshot_20240707_170729_Messages.jpg

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I thought the Duck was a jeep thing, or so I have heard. I think the prop is cool. She should have sent you and angle bell. Those are cool to get from family and friends.

Zoot_Suit likes this.
  5. Zoot_Suit

Zoot_Suit Active Member

Any suggestions?

Or should I just take it to a shop?

Snapchat-460810603.jpg

6. minimuttly

minimuttly Active Member

I have made a suggestion, remove the calliper, stick a lump of metal between the pads (yes its a pain in the butt calliper), and raise it up above the MC, with he nipple uppermost. Then try it all again. Small strokes on the lever, start bleeding at the MC.

7. Zoot_Suit

Zoot_Suit Active Member

I'll try that for a third time and let you know if it magically decides to work.

8. minimuttly

minimuttly Active Member

No magic, just physics - you're trying to move a column of fluid and air down a pipe and out of the bottom. but it's all connected together by a spring (the air) that moves or "gives" more than the MC can shift. So you attack it in stages. MC banjo first, then the slave banjo, then the bleed nipple. It just helps if the air moves in the same direction as you want the fluid to move. I would expect it to work.

9. Roast644

Roast644 Well-Known Member

Stock master cylinder?

Not something crazy like a master piston seal in backwards?

When you are doing the pump and crack, is the lever holding before you crack, and then you feel it squeeze further after you crack?

Or are you never building pressure you can feel at all with the lever?

Timbox likes this.
  10. Zoot_Suit

Zoot_Suit Active Member

The piston moves just fine if I give the caliper a shot of compressed air. There is absolutely zero resistance on the lever.

I'm just going to ride it as is, I'm kinda f#@king done with trying.

I took it for a quick trip up the road and back. Seemed to work fine...ish...

Snapchat-527270504.jpg Snapchat-1064868338.jpg

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Pitot tube muffler :D.

Zoot_Suit likes this.
  12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Front brakes are 75% of your stopping force, so might want to get them fixed at some point. It is easy to get to and just takes time. I would guess the MC is not working as it should. Either swap back to the one the came with the bike and see if it works, or get a rebuild kit for the MC you are currently using. You said you have no resistance at all. Make sure all the holes in the bottom of the MC are clear, small wire to make sure they are. Normally the small hole is plugged and does not allow for pressure to bleed of, but you are having a no hydro pressure issue.

Trust the troubleshooting you are doing, the work you have done, and find the simple answer for it.

Make sure you cover up all the nice new paint job on the bike when you are working with that brake fluid, splatter will do a job on the paint if not removed and cleaned.

If you think your brake bleeding is hard, try doing a Seca that has the MC behind the headlight area.

Franz likes this.
  13. Zoot_Suit

Zoot_Suit Active Member

It is the factory MC, I've rebuilt it twice, and tested it. It works. If I can convince the local shop to work on it, I'll make it their headache. I'm done messing with it. I'm just going to run with the rear brake until then. (I also tried an aftermarket MC that was supposed to be a direct replacement, it wasn't)

Does anyone have a suggestion for a turn signal relay that actually works? I've tried two OEM replays (two, new old stock from fleabay, both were duds, and two aftermarket from the jungle website, neither worked) The OEM that's on there now turns the signal lights on, it just doesn't blink.

14. minimuttly

minimuttly Active Member

Have you tried the forum sponsor?

Timbox likes this.
  15. Zoot_Suit

Zoot_Suit Active Member

I just contacted every shop within a 20 mile radius. And NONE of them will touch it.

16. minimuttly

minimuttly Active Member

Have you tried the forum sponsor for the relay?

Timbox likes this.
  17. Roast644

Roast644 Well-Known Member

If the lever has zero resistance, is the fluid you've ran through it just gravity draining down? Or does anything pump out of the bleeder when you squeeze the lever with the pump and crack?

Or has the quart of fluid you've put in been pumped through with the other methods?

If you are pulling fluid through with the vacuum, but the lever won't build resistance, than either the tiny hole at the bottom of the master cylinder is plugged (not the big hole...there's 2 and the small one is hard to see) or the adjuster screw on the lever is not letting the master cylinder piston return back all the way.

The vacuum can still pull fluid past the lips of the piston seals (the wrong direction, essentially), but the chamber in front of the piston must refill through the tiny hole to make pressure or move fluid.

When the master cylinder is pumping and refilling normally, it won't have a problem pushing the air bubbles down the hoses. They might eventually rise back up, but over minutes or hours. The hose is too small and the fluid too viscous to just let them rise like a fart in the bathtub.

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Since fuel injection has been around for a while now and newer bikes have all the electronic stuff on them, you will be hard-pressed to find a shop that will work on a carb bike. The price they will quote you will be worth more than the bike is. So, the labor of love will have to continue and more troubleshooting and trial and error.

You mentioned you are having issues with the turn signals. Did you stay with OEM or did you change out to LED? If you have OEM them stock relays normally are hard core good and really last well. If you are using an OEM relay and have changed out the LED or newer non filament lights, the relay will not flash.

Do your light stay on all the time? What issue are you having with the turn signal ckt?

I don't know if you have a "Power probe" but them little things are worth the $100 or so on Amazon to get. Can check a ckt, and power one as well. Very nice to have, then you start to have issue with the electrical system.

19. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

HCP25332 Aftermarket solid-state turn signal FLASHER. For all XJ550, XJ650, all XJ750 non-X, all XJ900RK, RL, and N/FN models, and XJ1100 models. These units will work with both incandescent and LED signal bulbs. Plugs directly into the stock wiring harness 3-place flasher connector plug. Your original turn signal canceller unit WILL operate properly with this style flasher, and this unit does not require the use of the HCP16880 adapter plug. Will require the fabrication of a mounting method as the original size grommet will not work.

Zoot_Suit likes this.
  20. Zoot_Suit

Zoot_Suit Active Member

I just wasted another two hours on the worthless hydraulic front brake. I might see if I can get a drum brake for the front. Those are mechanical, and they work, always.

All of the lighting is the factory incandescent OEM lighting, including the bulbs. They all still work.

The turn signal relay issue is, they turn on, but do not blink, I've tried 2 OEM relays off of fleabay, neither worked, at all. And 2 aftermarket from Amazon. Neither worked, at all.

I have checked with a meter, everything is getting the voltage and amperage it should be getting. The relay is just shot.

I'll try the one recommended above.

Screenshot_20240709_184019_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20240709_184040_Amazon Shopping.jpg