1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

750 Maxim Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by streetbrawler750, Feb 14, 2010.

1. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Thanks venlis, I think I am going to make some adapters for the brakes. I have been incredibly busy the bike is a little farther than the pics, just really need to finish up the foot controls, and then spend money on bearings, braided lines, crap like that.
    As for the swing arm, I built a jig for it and then cut the stock one all apart, used the 750 pivot, and 1100 axle peices, also running an 1100 diff. I just built the rest of it inbetween. I used 14 ga. sheet metal bent to shape on the one side completely boxed, and a piece of tube for the shaft side.
    Hows your bike coming, you used ducati rotors or something if I remember right? What calipers did you use

2. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Got a bit done, foot pegs half done, m.c. mounted shifter hooked up. FZ front end.

Attached Files:

3. venlis

venlis Member

nice going mate

i have brembos off a ducati multistrada. same calipers are on many ducs though. i just found some intake valves and im working on my swingarm too. had to order another final drive since my one is making a nasty sound

yours is looking good!

4. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

CRAP! I loved your old bike. I missed that you went and did this now. Do you happen to still have those badass sidecovers? If so, I WANT THEM! :D

5. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

I like the previous form, but decided to just re vamp this one opposed to buying another. I modified the sidecovers to fit again, all they are is expanded metal, pretty easy to make if you have access to a welding shop, or steel supply place.

Couple more shots of exhaust mock up and rear fender mock.

Attached Files:

6. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

You should have just made new ones and sent the old ones to me :D I do have a welder, but I haven't taught myself how to use it yet. I guess that would be a good, small project to start on.

7. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Haha they would cost more to ship than what it would to buy the material- welding on light material is tougher than thick. The only advice I can give is practice on scrap and get good before you try to actually make something. What kind of welder you have?

8. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

I bought a cheapo Harbor Freight one, tried to use it once and got frustrated with. I was practicing on sheet metal, because I wanted to repair the floor boards in my Jeep. Then I fond a Lincoln Mig 120 on CL for pretty cheap that came with a decent cart and bottle of gas, so I grabbed that and sold the other one at a yard sale. I haven't even attempted to use the Lincoln and I've had it over a year, but two of my buddies borrowed it for some small jobs on their jeeps, so at least I know it works.

9. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Ya those little Lincolns do good on sheetmetal, probly .023 wire. Picked up one up for my brother a while back. Don't use flux core wire.

10. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

I know flux core is extremely difficult to use on thin sheet metal, but what would you suggest for thicker stuff like the frame if I end up hardtailing one of my projects?

11. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

The .023 wire will work fine on that Lincoln, the frame isn't that thick on the bike maybe 1/8th wall, just crank it up a little. I was suprise with the versatility really of the Lincoln, supposed to weld up to 1/4 if I remember right. The trick with welding really is setting the wire to your style of welding. If it drops off the end of the welder in little balls, more wire, if it spatters and jumps, less. There is a small window where it will just zing in and it becomes effortless.

12. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

good deal. Thanks for the info. I should be home from Iraq on vacation in the next week, so maybe I'll break it out and play a little bit.

13. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Well, have a good, well deserved, vacation. Stay safe over there.

14. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Updates- paint work is done, polished my slide hole on the carbs and the intake horn part of carbs, and an in depth look at where the starter clutch is found.

Attached Files:

• 066.jpg
      066.jpg
      File size:
      87.8 KB
      Views:
    • 062.jpg
      062.jpg
      File size:
      83.6 KB
      Views:
    • 060.jpg
      060.jpg
      File size:
      89.1 KB
      Views:
    • 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      File size:
      52.5 KB
      Views:
    • 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      66.4 KB
      Views:
    • 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      74 KB
      Views:
    • 028.jpg
      028.jpg
      File size:
      60.7 KB
      Views:
  15. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Another shot of the fenders, the rear attatches to the swing arm and the came off an xs 650, I built the body lines with steel to match the front plastic fender off the fz 600, also couldn't resist painting an old helmet to match.

Attached Files:

• 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      44.9 KB
      Views:
    • 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      48.8 KB
      Views:
  16. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

nice job on the paint - the matching helmet is badass, haha

17. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Ok, I loved the old setup of the bike, but this? THIS is amazing. I still think you should have kept the old one and picked up another to transform like this though. The two versions side by side would kick ass.

FYI.... I am back from Afghanistan and got an apartment in Hagerstown, MD where I'm working now. The wife and kids are still at the NC house along with all my toys. I'll get down there next week, but not sure if I'll have time to play with the XJ.

18. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Haha ya nobody will be able to tell its the same bike, it would take too much money to buy another and do this, and maintain the other, so I just decided to go balls out, and do something different with what I had. I sold my stock xj to a friend in the same town, so people in my town will have a reference. I will get side by side with the stocker when things get together and put it up here. I don't think I have ever posted a pic of my old stocker.

Glad youre back safe.

19. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Looking good, I like the frame mod and the side pieces. Now THE question, Will it have pods? :lol:

20. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

I was planning on it with my trademark velocity pod. However, I kind of opened a can of worms for myself with 818 pistons and a ported and polished head. God I love to make work for myself.... :roll:

I am kinda brainstorming a new pvc intake though, I hope to eventually efi this mug, but I kinda dropped my wad to get this far, so that will have to wait for now.