1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

750 to 650 guage swap

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by xyxj650, Mar 28, 2010.

1. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

I am looking at switching the guages on the 750 I have to the guages from a 650. Both have the electronic tach. But the problem I see is how to rewire it to make it work. The headlight is run off a group of wires that come from the qauge pack. Has anyone else done this if so what am I getting myself into? I will post a pic to show what it looks like. I like it!!!
    [​IMG]
    I want to get away from the square look the 750 has.

2. 82XJ

82XJ Member

I'm doing exactly the same thing myself (smashed up my original dash when I dropped the bike last year).

For the headlight rewiring, I'm using cturek's excellent write-up:
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=2 ... ments.html
    Not done yet, but it looks like it should work.

For the rest of the connections, you'll need to get a copy of the wiring diagrams for both the 650 and 750 to figure out which connections match up to where. For a lot of them, you'll just have to hook up the matching-colored wires, but there a a few exceptions. I think the tach lead is the only one you can just plug in without modifications, but I don't have my wiring diagrams with me, so don't take my word for it.

The turn signal indicator is a single light on the 650, so you'll have to merge the signal lines to the single bulb. You'll need a diode on each line for that.

You'll also lose the fuel gauge, but there are a few ideas for replacing it in this thread:
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=23721.html

I'll post the progress as I get everything working again...