1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'82 Maxim XJ650 Parking Lot Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by thague90, Jan 10, 2012.

1. thague90

thague90 Member

I suppose I should start with the fact that I have no motorcycle modifying experience. All I knew was what I could learn on Google.

I purchased an 82 Maxim XJ 650 about mid July for $1500. It ran great just had a bum battery replaced that quick. Rode it 250 miles home the same day. This is a pic at the last gas stop I made.

[​IMG]

Started by taking small things off then realized i liked the minimalistic/bobber look so everything started coming off. Even the wiring went. I hadn't planned on replacing the electronics but the previous owner left a mess inside of it. Eventually it was a non running skeleton of a bike, and I realized I was way in over my head...

[​IMG]

I ditched the seat, cut the frame, and had to jerry together a wiring harness from almost scratch. I put all of the extra electronics and the battery in a PVC tube under the seat to kind of resemble an old school oil tank.

[​IMG]

2. thague90

thague90 Member

Re: Parking Lot Project

I bought a new cordless sawzall and had a bit of fun with the pipes. I just was having too many problems with the old ones. Then I tried my hand at making a fender and seat pan, but the metal was way too thin... cant remember what gauge I used. I added a tail light and headlight as well. Put the switch under the gas tank. Also put my plate on it so i could ride it a bit (cops in my area are real dicks)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. thague90

thague90 Member

Fresh Coat of paint in the morning was in order (2 cans of DIY powdercoat from Lowes). and an extra headlight after finding out that 1 wasnt bright enough. the little ones were great but there wasnt any hi/lo function.

[​IMG]

I also moved the ignition and key down to the electrical box.

[​IMG]

Painted the engine covers black and sanded the faces to create a front to back grain look in the aluminum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then made a new plate mount from the corner of a 5.56 ammo can that was laying around.

[​IMG]

4. thague90

thague90 Member

I bought a Mac 4 into 1 set of pipes off Amazon to replace the rusted ones that were on there. Of course I was not going to have anything to do with that can on the end so out came the sawzall again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I later got some time at a local high school machine shop and rolled out a fender out of 18 gauge steel. bolted it on with some 3/8" hardware.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. thague90

thague90 Member

New gas cap and new paint

[​IMG]

And I made a seat pan out of fiberglass... sorry no pics of that. it was too messy to pull the phone out. I also got around to putting on a Hi/Lo functioning headlamp on, you can kind of see it here. and I replaced the old bulky twist throttle with a smaller one off of a MX bike.

[​IMG]

The to do list
    -Digital Gauge
    -turn signals (I plan on riding at night and hand signals just don't work to well in the dark)
    -new tail light (old one does not fit under the new fender)
    -clip on handle bars
    -hydro clutch
    -braided steel cables for clutch and break

suggestions are always welcome!

_

6. skillet

skillet Active Member

How is it running with the pods and new exhaust? Like the new gas cap (where'd you get it?)...

skillet
    btw what is wrong with that lady's head in 1 of the pics 8O :lol: ???

7. thague90

thague90 Member

It runs just the same as before, with the exception that it idles a little lower. I just adjusted the idle screw and it was fine. Still has just as snappy of a response on the throttle.

I found the gas cap on eBay for $25. It was under "ducati gas cap". That actually required a lot of work on the tank to get the flange of the cap to sit flush. It was one of those things where I cut the hole for it thinking it would be easy...it wasn't. but at that point I had to make it work because I cut the old bung and cap attachment point completely out. I'm really happy with it though.

as far as the chick's head goes... ex GF got pissed when she saw her face online last night so I had to edit the picture. lol didn't care about her ars, just her face

8. skillet

skillet Active Member

That does sound a bit like one of those "uh-oohh" moments :wink: ! Does look though...

skillet
    btw glad it's running GOOD! Seems like no 2 bikes take to those changes the same (go figure :roll: )...

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It could also be running so lean it holes a piston after 20 minutes on the freeway.

You need to check your valve clearances before you sink too much work into it and then blow the motor up. You won't be able to do any effective carb adjusting either until you do.

And that rear tire is WAY TOO THIN to be safe anymore.

All the cosmetic work is great; but if you want to actually ride the bike you need to worry about things like 30+ year old BRAKES.

You need to re-prioritize a bit, before you get hurt.

10. thague90

thague90 Member

The break pads are all replaced (front pads and rear shoes) and the rear tire was flattened because I was showboating for some friends at a stoplight. Not the brightest Idea I know, but I've been planning on putting a tire with a more aggressive tread on it so I wasn't too concerned with the life of the tire. Im not currently riding it as it is 30 degrees out so the tire can wait.

As far as anything to do with the carbs I am clueless. Are there any good tutorials for what you are talking about that you can show me? checking valve clearances and carb adjusting? I am interested id doing it myself

11. thague90

thague90 Member

FYI I've got 12 years in at Michelin so I'm aware what is safe and not in regards to tires. So no worries about me blowing one out while I'm riding.

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

13. thague90

thague90 Member

I went out today and did the valve clearance check. SOOOOOOOO easy with your guide Fitz and Chacal's specs. The local tool shop had everything I needed to make it happen. I was actually surprised by this but all of the valves were well within specs. The previous owner couldn't do wiring worth a damn, but he kept a well tuned engine.

Now...the carbs. I have never done more than 1 at a time. I am predicting...pain in the ass. At least I will be able to move on to the cosmetics with a clean conscience. I will mention though that all the parts for what was on my cosmetic "to do list" are in the mail and should be on in a week or so. Provided the weather is cooperative. I am still doing all of my work in an apartment parking lot, save what I can bring inside.

14. skillet

skillet Active Member

If you've done 1, you can do 4. Just pay close attention, be methodical. Take pics (taking them apart) if you have to. GOOD LUCK with it!!!

skillet

15. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

nice work so far man!!!

16. thague90

thague90 Member

Carbs are all clean... spotless on the inside. The chrome is a little pitted on the outside but the insides are pristine. I emailed the PO at this point. His response made me laugh a bit"

"i didn't care about how it looked. Rust is just like an accent piece to me. I only used it to get to my deer blind in my woods any way. And hell yeah I kept her a runnin good. Replaced the head, shims, chains, and plugs just before I sold it to you. and those carbs should outlast the bike with the way i kept them lookin"

17. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Leave it to us Michiganders.......LOL

Looks like you and I are one of the rare ones that had POs that took care of the motor. They probably both used the book Wiring for Dummies though.

18. thague90

thague90 Member

I cant say much. The deer blind thing... yeah I went and did that too. And Tskaz I think you hit the nail on the head... Michiganders :D we are a peculiar bunch. As far as wiring goes... I think my PO bought the wiring for dummies book and then just stared at it while he cut and duck taped everything together.

I have yet to Colortune it due to my lack of a colortune plug. Working on that (PO said he did it after he did the shims). But It runs fine when I get her started (starting a cold engine in 15degree weather sucks). Low power, high power, idle, everything is good, and I'm not getting any crazy readings off of my headers when I hit them with the thermometer.

Well the Cosmetic aspect has returned now that I have satisfied my curiosity for the maintenance. New shocks came in the mail today. Obviously they have the wrong bottom attachment piece. Not sure how i missed that when I was buying them. Attached them with only a bit of modification. I had to take off the makeshift plate holder to make room for the reservoirs though. New one of those to come soon.

[​IMG]

The left side was simple enough

[​IMG]

Though Im still not sure about the right side.

[​IMG]

Im thinking Im gonna have to go back and try something else. It is solid but it just doesn't look quite right to me. I cant weld, and have no friends who can, so this kind of work is what makes this project a PITA.

19. thague90

thague90 Member

UPDATE: Finished the Colortune... with a small bit of work it is running perfectly... I was only running lean in the 4 cylinder, and not by much. Rich in 1, 2, & 3. Must have been running hella rich when it had the stock air box and pipes on. Its a miracle that the entire engine isn't seized up with carbon!!!

OR!!!

The engine transfers much better than thought to pods. Without having done a colortune before removing the box & pipes well never know. But the engine was clean when i tore it open 2 nights ago so ima guess that it wasn't running that rich. (Props again to my PO)

20. thague90

thague90 Member

Notice how no one wants to comment on how the engine took to the pods so well... :p

Well any how...

I decided to put some real paint on the tank instead of just a primer coat. I went and matched the fender as well. I took the entire tank down to the metal and left most of it bare save for a generous clear-coat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went and cut out most of the old bondo before I clear-coated the tank. Notice the gap that will now cause problems sealing the bolt in bung. I solved that by filling the space with a ethanol/gas resistant epoxy. had to go to a specialty shop to find it. the stuff is used to seal holes in trucker tanks. I also ordered NOS Yamaha tank badges from a guy in india that found a bunch in original Yamaha parts bags. (SCORE!!!) though the shipping is gonna take another week to get here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also re-padded the seat pan with something a little more comfortable (notice the change in thickness). This is how it will sit on the rear fender. Passenger is gonna have to hold on tight.

[​IMG]

AAAAND... while the tank was off the bike I decided to put on some K&N filters.

[​IMG]

Still to come:
    Bolt on handlebars
    hydraulic clutch
    nissen MS + a new front break caliper since the old one went ahead and seized up. I blew a break line before I realized thats what was wrong. Of course that also meant that my lines were worn and it was all bad news at that point