1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'82 Maxim XJ650 Parking Lot Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by thague90, Jan 10, 2012.

1. boostenlebaron

boostenlebaron Member

Looks good. How do you like the K&N's vs the pods?
    Also how do you like those shocks. Ive got a set but havent put them on yet. I also got the 11" so itll drop the rear abit.

2. Omega650

Omega650 New Member

That gas tank looks great! :!: Was thinking of painting mine flat black with the same type of stripes but with a bright green paint.

3. thague90

thague90 Member

Haven't had the chance to start the engine but I know Im gonna need to colortune again. I did stick my mouth to the pods and K&N's and did the "suck in as hard as you can and notice the resistance" test lol. I've never heard of anyone doing that before. However, I did notice a difference; K&N breathed so much better. They are truly a get what you pay for product ($65 for the set). Also those cheapie pods were actually starting to rust in the mesh covering so they had to go.

As far as the shocks, I have no idea. the bike hasn't even come off of the center stand since I put them on. I'm working on so many things right now. I will have to re work how I have them attached (new pics when I do), because I just don't trust the current mounting situation. ie- I've got the head of the bolts pushed right up against the side of the shocks' mounts, and with the rotation of that point I am certain it will twist the bolt out... I will have to get spacers for the shock to ride on so the bolt can remain tight.

This is my third and hopefully final attempt at paint. The first two times I tried to use a flat black paint on the entire thing. this was no good though because if even a single drop of gas hit that flat black it spidered up and just started a' peelin. I tried flat black with a clear-coat to protect it from the gas but then it wasn't "flat" black anymore. It just looked like a normal high gloss paint. I chose this route because I wanted it to look industrial (hence the attempt at "Flat" paints) and i figured what was more industrial than a striped pitted steel tank. It is exactly what I wanted and I'm happy with how it turned out. I will have a few more pics of the tank up when I get the Yamaha badges.

The moral to my story is Clear-coat that $h!t no matter what. The ethanol in new age gas just likes to eat through regular paint. (Even hardened JB weld didn't stand up to a gas bath)

4. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Just a comment on the tail light...
    The LED truck light is a good idea (I have the same one!) but the way you have it mounted will only cause problems, like-
    The rear wheel will cover it with road debris in a short time and will come less effective.
    Having it tucked into the fender like that will make it harder to be seen at an angle from the back, making it hard to be noticed my vehicles from behind. I suggest moving it back so it can bee seen better. Just my idea.

5. thague90

thague90 Member

lol!!! you forgot the worst problem of all. If I hit a really big bump the rear tire comes up and clips the bottom of the light, rips it off, and crushes it as I drive it over... lota work down the drain on that one.

Im in the process of getting a prefab plate bracket and light combo off of eBay. $12!!! but its economy shipping from somewhere in Asia so who knows when it will ever get here. :/ I plan on mounting it off to the left side like most bobbers on here.

[​IMG]

Also (well into the future and probably the last thing i do) I want to put red LED lighting under the tank and parts of the frame so the bike glows red when I either hit a toggle switch or hit the brakes. I checked and the red is legal in all 50 states as long as no bulbs are facing forward.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Better double check the Secretary of State website; I don't think having your tail/stop light on one side is actually legal here. I'm pretty sure it's gotta be in the middle.

7. thague90

thague90 Member

257.686 Rear lamps; exemption; requirements for implement of husbandry; pickup camper.
    Sec. 686.

(1) A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or vehicle which is being drawn in a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least 1 rear lamp mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required by this act, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.

(2) Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and placed so as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. A tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be wired so as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

A bike is no exception. Just so long as its visible to the rear...directly from the rear, there is no code violation. Most of the country words it this way. They do not specify the location of the rear light just the function of it.

If I am wrong and someone can find where it says so, please tell me! I am just going by the light laws that I can get from google. Theres no saying how current they are.

8. thague90

thague90 Member

The badges came in. i just used adhesive to put them on and glued in some screw heads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. thague90

thague90 Member

UPDATE- With the weather here being absolutely amazing for the middle of winter (55 degrees in February) I decided to just strip the bike down and get it blasted and painted up right. The engine comes out tomorrow when I get some help from a few friends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a method to my madness XD

10. thague90

thague90 Member

Started cleaning up the parts that were to get painted. Still haven't gotten around to getting the engine out of the frame. But I finished up all of the work I wanted to do to the front end aside from the electrical which I will re-wire after everything is back together.

[​IMG]

Chopped up the top of the triple tree. less is more...

[​IMG]

PAINT!!! Ford red and Semi gloss black engine enamels. tough paint for a shaker. I just don't have the cash to get it powder coated...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final Product

[​IMG]

11. commanderdrako

commanderdrako Member

Wow! That is looking nice... keep posting pictures to inspire us! Good job bro.

12. Konoc

Konoc Member

Nice dude! I'm a Michigander too! Well, originally.. lol

Love the build man, I just picked up an '82 650 and am probably gonna steal an idea or two from your thread lol.

13. pdog

pdog New Member

where did you get those rear amber lights that fit inside the frame?

14. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

still looking good, get some new rubber on ther so the overspray looks less ghetto, haha

15. NS_Rider

NS_Rider Member

Just repaint the tires black

16. NS_Rider

NS_Rider Member

great paint job btw. My dad had a screaming eagle Harley which had bare metal in the paint scheme, I thought about doing something similar. It looks much better with the stripes and tank badges.

17. thague90

thague90 Member

Imitation is the best form of flattery

They were for sale at Meijer for $10. I had to rip off the rubber gromet and replace it with a smaller o-ring so it would fit but still be snug.

great idea.

Ive been a little lazy as of late and the project is on standstill until i can get some more of the parts cleaned off. Aaaaaaaand... the engine is still on the frame so that's a big one left for me to do.

18. thague90

thague90 Member

More parts in the bathroom. I decided to add a bit of red to the back end by doing the swingarm in red.

[​IMG]

And repainted the headlight and bar I made to mount it on.

[​IMG]

lol. This is the most finished part of my motorcycle

19. thague90

thague90 Member

So... Im putting the rear end back together and I don't know how much oil to put back in the diff it doesn't have a volume on the label that is on the swing arm, just "20w".

anyone got this info?

20. NS_Rider

NS_Rider Member

I believe it is the same as most other rear ends. When it is on the bike on the center stand, fill until oil starts coming out of the fill hole.