1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'82 Maxim XJ650 Parking Lot Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by thague90, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Lewis

Lewis Member

Nice job man!

I'd like to know what are those K&N filters? Can you tell me the part number or something?

I'm also curious about those clip-ons handlebars... They look alot like one I saw on evil-bay... Do they hit the tank the way you've installed them?

2. thague90

thague90 Member

the Filters are K&N part number (# RC-2362)

I will say that they were a pain in the ass to put on because of the routing of the clutch cable. I had to bend and adjust the cable and mount quite a great deal to keep everything working. I ended up routing the cable around the outside of the carb intake... long route but it still worked. I am happy with it all though. the filters are absolutely worth the work they breathe amazing. Only took me a few minutes to tune it in after the filter was in place.

I ended up welding in shorter stops on the frame. It stops the bars from hitting and it doesn't effect the handling. AND!!! I love them!!!

3. Lincolnoodle

Lincolnoodle New Member

Love your tank. Where did you find that gas cap? Also does the electronic gauge show turn signals?

4. thague90

thague90 Member

I talked about the gas cap on page 1. Beware!!! It was a pain in the ass. Lol. And yes the gauge does everything!!! My one big problem now is I can't figure out which wire coming from the engine is the N gear indicator. I know it's not necessary but it would be a nice touch.

5. warchol2

warchol2 Member

wow looks great. hows your 4 to 1 with no muffler? i have one and was planning to run th muffler

and id say ditch the whole passenger foot peg triangle, it will clean it up a lot and what i did is used some washers to keep the rear engine mount functional and some bmx pegs drilled out with grip tape around them

6. thague90

thague90 Member

The 4-1 is great. Oil changes are tricky though... I have to take the pipes off to keep oil off of the heat wrap. If you do it make sure to tune it though as it will run hella lean.

I like the idea about the pegs... Because I HATE the aftermarket ones I have on right now. But I need the passenger triangle cuz I carry a passenger. Lol yes she fits on the back of that seat

7. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Nice build.... I really dig the paint. I have my tank in my apartment right now getting ready to do something similar.

8. thague90

thague90 Member

Financial troubles have hit hard... I cant afford to have it insured or keep the registration up to date. It is basically trapped in my parking unit in Ann Arbor, MI. Is there anyone who would be interested in buying this off of me?

9. FrankBlack

FrankBlack Member

Really sorry to hear that. I just read through this entire thread, inspired by your hard work and getting a few ideas for my own bike. To not being able to keep it must suck hard. :(

Is there nobody that has a few square feet of vacant space in a garage or storage shed where you can at least store it? So that when times get better you can insure and such it again?

10. thague90

thague90 Member

Its not the storage that is the problem. I am just in need of the money that this will bring. I've sold other things and this bike is at almost the bottom of the list... And I'm at the bottom now. :( Honestly I would rather have my creation be used by someone, than stay in storage by my hand.

11. XJLee

XJLee Member

dude that sucks, If I was closer I'd buy it, treat it like GOLD...
    Do you know anyone local/buddies that could buy it from you to keep it for you for later? Sorry to hear it, dude....

12. Buffalony

Buffalony Member

yeah, that sucks man. I'd buy it if could. too long of a ride for me from corning. It'd be a happy ending if what XJLee suggested could happen. Good Luck.

13. burton160w

burton160w New Member

Man :( actually came to this thread from the post you have up on Ebay. This is by far one of my favorite builds and has inspired me a lot for the path I'm taking with my own bike. If I had the extra money I'd definitely take it off your hands.

14. thague90

thague90 Member

The bike is gone. It was a sad day but it had to happen. My creation is all grown up and will make a life of its own. or the 18 year old kid I sold it to will crash it and kill himself in the process because he will likely be riding it like an idiot. Until the next build, THague90 out!

15. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Don't be shy, when things start looking up find another xj to rescue and come back and say hey :)

Hope the best for you in the future!