1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82' Seca Resurrection

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Icebergh, Apr 5, 2013.

1. GrooveJunkie

GrooveJunkie Member

Thanks for the picture library. I'm getting ready to pull my carbs for cleaning/rebuilding/Stage-1 jetting, and this will be a great help.

given the amount of space opened up, I've decided that there are some peripheral tasks that I'll be doing after the carbs come off (cam tensioner adjustment, etc...).

looking forward to your continued progress.

2. gomk007

gomk007 Member

Yep, gotta say I agree with quebecois59, I skipped doing a complete teardown (breaking the rack apart), but after 2-3 months had leaking fuel rail seals that sidelined the bike yet again.... I did the fuel rails seals and throttle shaft seals and no more problems, plus the bike idles better now. Of course this gives you the opportunity to get the valves in adjustment and a nice carb syncing.... Do it once do it right and you won't have to remove the carbs from the bike for a while. I bet I could pull the rack out blindfolded by now...

PM me if you want help...

3. Icebergh

Icebergh New Member

Here is a first look at my carbs on the bench

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/jgek6/embed"></iframe>

http://imgur.com/a/jgek6#0

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Interesting. That was the primary issue with the heretofore untouched carbs on my 650R. Bike fired right up, but peed gas all over itself almost immediately, and not because of stuck floats.

5. Icebergh

Icebergh New Member

Here is a picture record of "Breaking the Rack"

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/KCsbM/embed"></iframe>

http://imgur.com/a/KCsbM#0

6. Icebergh

Icebergh New Member

I have removed absolutely everything from my carbs (82' 650 seca) except two air jets so that i can dip them and maybe soda blast if they get dark. I got the jets from under the banana plate on top side but have not yet been successful at the two that face the air box. They have huge orifices so they are easy to clean. A thread on this site said i had to remove them for dipping. Why? So ultimately my question is did i need to remove the others and do i need to remove these? I still do not know how to add a pic to this

7. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

I think the 2 supplementary air jets (in each carb throat, facing the airbox) will be fine staying. I have no idea why you'd need to remove them for dipping unless the dip was corrosive to brass (normally it's just rubber you need to worry about).

You need to remove the other jets & the emulsion tubes for cleaning so that you can thoroughly clean any residue and on the e-tubes clean out the tiny air holes.

On the pics, I'll post a picture under here & you hit the "quote" button & study the URL and IMG brackets, add the same brackets to your hosted pic's address & it should show up :)

[​IMG]

8. Icebergh

Icebergh New Member

alrighty then....time to dip then. I think I understand; I do not "attach" a pic directly from my computer file, but rather "redirect" to my cloud pics, in may case, Imgur. I have been doing small albums on there to track my progress. It will be nice to just add a photo or two when asking questions. I'll give it a try.

Also here is the album: http://imgur.com/a/34AEQ#0

[​IMG][/img]

9. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Cool that seems to work :)

See the brass part in the actual centre of the carbs? (the part the main jet screws into when you look in the underside) They need to be tapped out to clean them properly.

Some will just fall out through the top of the carb by themselves, others (the really dirty ones usually) will be stuck & need a gentle tap from underneath. Be careful not to mar the threads for the main jets when you tap them, and when they're out make sure the *tiny*, smaller than a full stop . holes in the sides of the tube are all clear ;)

10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

If you're dis-assembling the carbs to clean, pull the last two airjets and clean them ANYWAY. What's the difference in a couple more turns of a screw driver? Sheesh. The air still goes through the passages, and if you're gonna clean, CLEAN. As in "the Church of CLEAN".

How many times have we had people on here with carb issues that have had just the tiny little speck of dirt be the problem? Too often. That's the way it is.

But......if you want to leave them in, go for it. It's your bike. If it were me doing the carbs, EVERYTHING is taken apart. EVERY piece is cleaned.

YMMV,
    Dave F

11. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

12. Icebergh

Icebergh New Member

Did somebody SHEESH me. I have never ever done carbs and if you see my picture album it is obvious I have taken this further than most already. I wasn't being lazy on the two screws; my best fit of 50 screwdrivers was just a bit thin so I did not want to chew them up. One of the better carb write ups on this site said "IF I absolutely must remove them like when dipping..." This person also attends the church of clean and said "IF". Anyway, when selecting a sacrificial screwdriver to grind down, I gave it another attemp after kroil did its thing and they practically jumped out...so now it is truly naked and the emulsion tube was already out but the picture looked brassy from varnish
    [​IMG][/img]
    I kinda don't want to dip'em cuz they are p r e t t y clean on the outside but...it is Sunday so...church of clean...baptism by chem-dip.

13. Icebergh

Icebergh New Member