1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'82 XJ1100 Maxim in Michigan

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by driverofLYN274, May 21, 2020.

1. driverofLYN274

driverofLYN274 Member

Hello XJBikes,

I am gauging interest in my XJ1100 Maxim. I have owned it for about a year and since having a little girl, I haven't been able to give the bike the time and attention it deserves. That said, I wanted to make sure that it could be taken care of by folks who like these bikes. So I will be as transparent as possible with what I know about it:

The good:
    New Kenda tires right before I bought it.
    29k miles.
    Original black paint in good shape.
    Comes with matching Windjammer fairing, bracket, and soft bags. (Trying to locate the hardware for the fairing)
    Runs great and hasn't let me down yet.
    Brakes rebuilt at the end of last season.
    Fresh oil and filter right before winter.
    Has NOS headlight mount covers to replace the dingy ones.
    Rear shocks were replaced
    Front air assist forks work and hold air
    Original toolkit

The bad:
    May pop out of gear in 1st or 2nd if you are really sending it. 3rd, 4th and 5th seem perfect.
    Starter clutch has started to freewheel on the first try, then engages second time around.
    Might need a battery soon, but it served me well all last year and spent the winter in a warm basement on the trickle charger. (May be the cause of the starter issue?)

The meh:
    Aftermarket mufflers. I like the way they sound, but they are not for everyone.

Again, to be clear, I do not want to misrepresent this bike in any way. If you have questions about it or would like to make an offer, please let me know through a PM. I am currently located in Grosse Pointe Park, MI and will be moving soon to West Bloomfield. Assuming it hasn't been sold, I would not hesitate to ride it to my new home. IMG_20200503_155632074_HDR.jpg IMG_20200503_155606342_HDR.jpg IMG_20200503_155624105_HDR.jpg

2. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

I didn’t see a price listed so as to gauge said interest with anyone. I’d say everyone is interested at 500$

good luck

3. driverofLYN274

driverofLYN274 Member

Thanks Joe! I can see how having a price would help!

I am asking $1000 since looking at the NADA guide pricing. Putting it between good and fair condition.

Like I said above, I want to make sure this bike goes to someone who would be confident riding it or parting it out for their own project. I won't be offended by an offer, the worst I can say is no thanks!

4. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

The problem with xs/xj 1100 bikes with this tranny problem is that they need shims placed
    between one or more pairs of gears. the engine has to be pulled and turned upside down
    to access the tranny by removing the bottom oil pump cover. It can be done by an experienced
    home mechanic but more than the value of the bike if done in a shop. 500 is a fair price. be honest
    with a potential buyer.I researched this when I was considering buying one of these. sellers will often
    tell a noob it's easy to fix

5. driverofLYN274

driverofLYN274 Member

JoeJr2, that's fair. Like they say, you don't know what you don't know. I just figured someone more talented than I could use the good parts on it. I didn't realize the trans issue such an involved process.

I just wanted to be as honest as I could be so that I am not expecting too much when it's not worth it.

6. Bleechmint

Bleechmint New Member

Id be interested in it as a project bike. What would you need to get out of it? I'm also in Mi too so I feel like its kind of meant to be.