1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'82 XJ750 Maxim Calliper Rebuild Issue

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by wcd, May 1, 2019.

1. wcd

wcd New Member

Hey there XJ folks!

So I'm in the process of rebuilding the calipers on my 750 Maxim. Pistons are in with with new seals and all went well there. I'm at the point of reinstalling the caliper slider to the main caliper body, but I can't get the bloody thing to fit in. I got new dust boots for the caliper slide pins as well as a new o-ring/grease wiper for the groove in the end of the smaller slider pin. They just do not seem to be able to slide past one another. I can get the large pin to slide in easy enough, but the smaller pin seems to bind up as soon at it gets started into the bore. Is it supposed to be a veeery tight fit and a hard squeeze to get it in there? I dont wanna push to hard and risk damaging them.

I will try and get supporting photos soon once I've got them home again.

Thanks,
    Cole

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Yes, it almost forms an air-lock in there. Try some silicone lubricant and a small amount of rocking motion to release the captured air.

3. wcd

wcd New Member

I gave that a go and lo and behold, it wasn't working because, yet again, I bought the wrong parts... I should have just bought them straight from you Len. That is the last time I make that mistake!!

Attempt #2 will happen once my new order goes through with you.