1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'82 xj750j maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by maxim xjj, Jun 16, 2022.

1. maxim xjj

maxim xjj New Member

Hey, good day to ya Yup, I have a couple of things to mention before my question. Had the bike for 3 weeks & have been doing the little things to help with idle issues, dies hit bumps, and throttle cable issues & yet seemed to run well despite only a couple of intake boots with clamps, a couple of cracks on boots, no vacuum hooked to the petcock, open vacuum port at #3, carbon fouled plugs 1 & 2 with 3 & 4 little dark-colored no oil or gas visible.
    Ok, I've attached the vacuum line, capped ports, new plugs, clamps, and filled cracks along with lubed throttle cable. I've adjusted the fuel/air mix screws, and new gas charged the battery, hit the start button fired up & idles at about 1100 with the chock plungers about halfway.
    When I hit the throttle doesn't backfire or no miss issues but it just doesn't seem to respond to 100% It's almost there just seems I have something not quite adjusted properly after all the little things I have fixed.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Have you done any work on the carb internals? (Just asking for reference, you might not need to).

Have you checked valve clearances?
    Have you tried running Seafoam in a tank of gas to see if the jets clean up enough for her to run well?

3. maxim xjj

maxim xjj New Member

Hello, no I have not done anything except run seafoam through the system. I am a little nervous about taking on the task of 4 carbs I used to take the carb off my 78 dt175e & clean it a lot due to poor maintenance from the previous owner without any problems. Not much difference is there ha ha . One thing I don't understand is the choke plungers are to be up or down last question is idle screws between carbs turn down till stop back off 1 1/2-2 turns to start?

4. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

The enrichment plungers need to be down normally and pulled upward for tough starting.
    1.5 - 2.5 turns from bottom, whatever will let the bike start. Then make the adjustments with a colortune or by pulling and inspecting plugs/listening to the engine.

maxim xjj likes this.
  5. maxim xjj

maxim xjj New Member

hey, thank you for the info on my bike. I have it running with the choke plungers so close to being closed & yet when it warms up I push the plungers in & idles goes up fast so If I am not mistaken back the idle screws counter clockwise to decrease the idle?

6. maxim xjj

maxim xjj New Member

K-moe I want to thank you for all the advice you have given me on my bike. Everything you have said has made the bike better.

k-moe likes this.
  7. maxim xjj

maxim xjj New Member

Huntchucks, I also want to thank you for the advice you send me for my bike. I appreciate the help from you & the rest of those who help all of us xjj owners

8. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

screw -one. between carbs 2&3.

9. maxim xjj

maxim xjj New Member

thank you

10. maxim xjj

maxim xjj New Member

I will let all how the advice given goes very soon

11. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

have you tried the 1/4" spark plug wire snip thing?

12. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

twice I experienced stumble at low rpm takeoffs. each time I unscrewed the resistor caps, snipped 1/4" off end of spk.wire. sprayed caps with contact cleaner and applied silicone grease, screw cap back on. it may not be your issue , but it was fix for me.- twice.

13. maxim xjj

maxim xjj New Member

Hey McTavish, what are the 3 screws between the carb's purpose? I adjusted my idle with the middle one & turn the knob below just want to know what the other two are for

14. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

the 3 screws your referring to are the throttle plate "butterfly's" linkage adjustment screws for carbs #1, 2, 4. #3 doesn't have a adjustment screw, the big round knob thing is to adjust the open "distance"[ aka idle ] of # 3 throttle plate, which the other three are link to. to bench sync- is to have the other carbs behave like # 3.- vacuum syncing is adjusting each carb to pull the same equal vacuum as each other.

k-moe likes this.
  15. maxim xjj

maxim xjj New Member

Thank you McTavish, so all 3 screws are very important to the bike idling & running well when riding. I know I am close to setting these carbs up to perform enough to get a few good rides before I tackle rebuilding them. Ive only had the bike barely a month & right now it's not perfect but the bike has great response & sounds good when just cruising along at 45 - 50 along the yellowstone river

16. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

k-moe likes this.
  17. k-moe

Dang. Thank you. I just try to give back what I was given by the long-timers here.

18. maxim xjj

maxim xjj New Member

K-moe well it rained & rained & rained here today so I decided it was time to put my efforts into the carbs, new throttle cable, new boots, etc etc so I can have the bike to ride rest of summer into fall where would you order parts from for my 82 xj750j

19. maxim xjj

maxim xjj New Member

McTavish you are right lots & lots to learn & the one thing I have learned is when to quit doing little fix-it things so I can ride for 20 minutes or tear it down, learn, & put it back together so I can ride for the summer into fall

20. k-moe

Send an email to info@xj4ever.com
    You will get the correct parts the first time, and live customer support over the phone from an XJ expert.