1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

85 IT200 Project

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by slackard, Jun 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. slackard

slackard Member

Hey guys.. Its been a while since I sold my 82XJ650.. Now I have a little project going based on an 85 yamaha IT200 2-stroke.

I have the motor, which is in good order, but no wiring harness, coil, or anything else. I've done some searching around and I can find some used parts on ebay, etc... However I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with this motor, or with making things work with non-standard parts.

What I really want to know is, do I need to use the factory coil? Or, is there an as-equal aftermarket option I could use instead?

Also, my XJ had a TCI module to fire the coil in time with the crank position. Is the IT200 the same way? or does it run on points?

Kind-of basing my re-wire attempt on the minimum xj wiring diagram (attached) & I haven't been able to find the oem wiring diagram for this IT200 as of yet (still searching).

I know there are significant differences between an xj and this IT... Im just getting started though so looking for
    anyone here who could lend some advice, or point me to some good resources.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. slackard

slackard Member

Welp, I did find a wiring diagram.. not much to it!

Looks like I'll need the CDI unit & ignition coil, & not much else :D

Wondering if I can get away with non-oem / non-standard components, or if I will need to source something made for this bike..

Again, any help or advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

3. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

4. slackard

slackard Member

Awesome!

Thanks Kickaha, excellent resources! I have a used OEM CDI unit on the way already, & if it fails, now I know where to look. Thanks again!

5. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

I still have an original CDI and coil on my bike and nothing else except the kill switch[​IMG]