1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

85 Maxim X - On going restoration - Pic & Questions

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by TonyHes, Aug 5, 2012.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

And the winner is..................K-moe.

The idea of a 'prototype frame' is an interesting thought, though! That would have been cool!

dave F

2. RonWagner

RonWagner Member

X2 on the black background on the side rails.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Oooo.......seems that I might "know stuff". Can't wait to tell my son :lol:

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sure. Probably. This is an interesting question; the only variable being we have no idea how many VERY similar models (but with a different model code) were produced for other markets.

Per model code, yes; the extant serial numbers would hopefully give us a good clue. Except we have no way of knowing how many are MIA since produced.

I've driven myself (and Len) crazy on this topic in regard to the 1983 model year 550 Secas (all of which were produced in '82.)

5. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

K-Moe wrote:
    Maybe someday our kids will listen to us...

Fitz, so I want to be clear in what you're saying. For example, Serial #000100 could have been one model, then Serial #000101 may have been another model in the run? Said another way, they didn't use a set run of VIN#'s for a particular model (say 000 through 999). Yamaha just randomly assigned the next number in sequence to what ever model happened to be being built at that point on the production line?

As they say, "The world will never know".

Tony

6. TonyHes

TonyHes Member

Next up... Valve adjustment!

I was hoping to find everything in spec... But NOOoooo!

Would you gentlemen be able to point me in the best direction for replacement shim sizes? Please reference the print screen....

[​IMG]

Thank you,
    Tony

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

What're the specs for the "X" motor; and those are "American" numbers, aren't they?

What are the actual metric specs for the motor?

8. TonyHes

TonyHes Member

Yes my feeler gauges are from my Paw! So they're old... Actually, looky what i found!

[​IMG]

9. xHondaHack

Tony,

Did the conversion for you and set up a chart for you to use.

Make sure you adjust the shims for all your exhaust. You don't want to leave any (intake included) at the minimum spec.

[​IMG]

Being that you have some spares, you probably have most of what you need by swapping them around. Then you'll have to set it back up and recheck all the clearances.

10. xHondaHack

Just noticed on HAP's chart that he specs out the shim needed to give you the maximum clearance for the intake or exhaust. You may want to go that route or do as I recommended, your choice. You just want to make certain that if you're going through all the trouble of setting your clearances, make sure they're above the minimum.

11. TonyHes

TonyHes Member

xHonda Hack

Wow thank you for your efforts. Amazing the good people you run into on the internet!

How can I return the favor? Would you like a powder coated valve cover?

Tony

12. xHondaHack

With my experience in performing several valve adjustments on the 20 valve engine, I'm just looking to payback to the fantastic group we have here.

I also want to make sure we thank you for letting the group know about http://www.bdesigns.ca. They are an invaluable source that has the ability to reproduce the VIN stickers, and other hard to find items.

And thanks for graciously offering up the cover, but I couldn't accept.

I should mention, on the hand written outline that I provided, make sure you note what shim you put in. That way if you have any discrepancies when you recheck the clearances, you'll know the size to swap in (before you have to take it apart again).

BTW, how many miles are on that engine? By the looks of the shim sizes, my guess is that the valve adjustments have never been done.

13. TonyHes

TonyHes Member

X HondaHack - Well... I'm glad I've been able to help! Hope I can help more in the future. :)

Updates!
    Tires... Yes I'm way over budget so don't ask about the brand. And the rims, well I cannot do them this year... As clean as they can be.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Clutch Cover - Pretty Silver Letters
    [​IMG]

Why I'm over budget. Sweet Original Exhaust (After Polish)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cleaning calipers took FoREvEr! And, new seals installed. But a good friend helped! New steel braided brake lines, rebuilt reservoir
    [​IMG]

Original Bike - Looks good but when it came apart oh boy. The exhaust bolt is the only thing holding the cans there.
    [​IMG]

14. TonyHes

TonyHes Member

HondaHack - BTW yes over 60k I'm sure... And judging by the overall condition... Nobody had money for maintenance... Oh man....

15. xHondaHack

"Neglected" should be the term applied, and seems to be the case for most all of the older bikes. I'm glad to see that the budget is taking care of the safety items. Make sure the rear brake shoes are still good.

I repainted my wheels. It didn't cost much for a couple of spray cans of paint, but it sure took forever.

16. TonyHes

TonyHes Member

xHondaHack: Brake shoes are good, I saw the post about brake lines and figured since the brake fluid had changed to P00P and the metal casing around the lines was completely rusted... the writing was on the wall.

SOOO.... Update time...

Controls... I wondered if I could mod something a little more modern to fit, but since these were metal I just went with it.
    [​IMG]

Now, i dunno if this makes any sense to you... I always liked bikes, I'd like a new bike but... NOBODY makes and inline 4 cruiser anymore...

This is a little bit of mixing boy/ricer racer with what I think is a big miss on the part of bike manufactures... I actually wanted a more honda civic red wrinkle.... I know this won't be for everyone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Hey Tony, that textured look is something else man. I'm not partial to red, but the black and silver on the original colour scheme would do it for me, nice thread.

18. xHondaHack

Love the idea of the red wrinkled finish, looks awesome. I know how much goes into refinishing the covers, as I've done three so far.

Depending on the color of the bike, the red may or may not clash? Personally, I think it will really pop on a black or silver bike.

Nice job on the control switch covers too. Some actually polish and clear them.

And, as you noted, nobody makes an inline 4 cruiser, just Harley clones with a V-twin. That's the reason I ended up buying an X, as there's nothing like it out there, new or old.

19. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

looks great. here are before after pics of mine. Spent a lot of time polishing. Looked bad when former owner made it a bobber. lot of time in mine still need to do the carbs

20. TonyHes

TonyHes Member

Hap?: Yes I have some concern with clash... I'll find out in month after I get the motor painted...

XHondaHack: Been enjoying your work... What did you paint your motor with?
    What are those black handlebars?

Cutless: Nice work... Do you have a video of what you did?