1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

85 Maxim X - On going restoration - Pic & Questions

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by TonyHes, Aug 5, 2012.

1. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Wish I had a tumbler....

FYI: Looks like the rods are too small in diameter compared to the springs, and are they brass? You'll want to make sure they don't jam up inside the inner part of the spring when you assemble the caps.

2. TonyHes

TonyHes Member

Well your right about the rods... I ended up using chopped copper nails.

The bike ran poor, I received a shock through the wires, right through the rubber as far as I can tell. Ouch, but not too bad.

I've ordered new coils and wires from Z1enterprises. $adne$$, my wallet.

Took this photo for fun... It's from the spare bike.
    [​IMG]

3. xHondaHack

Copper nails? Never thought of that....

So you're getting a new set of original style coils? Not cheap are they?
    When you add those to the upgraded caps, that should help with all of your spark issues. Once you have all that sorted out, hopefully it will run well.

If you still have issues, we'll have to go back to looking at the carbs again.

4. TonyHes

TonyHes Member

New dyna coils it is.... Shipping was better than recent experience ;)

Now... How do I know which spark plug is #1,2,3,4?
    Based on Haps pictures I believe I got the power wires to the right place?
    (Red with white stripe to the outside of each coil, orange on drivers side inner, grey passengers side inner).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Maxim-X coil upgrade, hummm, been there done that! As far as I remember, driver's side coil fires #1 and #4 and the other coil fires #2 and #3. On driver's side coil, for example, it doesn't really matter which coil outlet you use for #1 or #4 cylinder, the coil fires them at the same time, but one spark is "wasted" because that cylinder is not ready to fire.

6. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Don't forget to put a dab of dielectric grease on all contacts and connections to help protect against moisture, good time to do it while it's still out.

7. TonyHes

TonyHes Member

1st the good news you all will enjoy.

I can confirm the new ignition has significantly more power than the old one. I can confirm this because I have now been shocked by both!
    OUCH!

2nd the bad news.

Still cold pipes! Very sad. Should I be adjusting the idle jet?

Oh and I used liquid electrical tape to cover the terminal connections :)

Tony.

8. TonyHes

TonyHes Member

Well I ignored the cold pipes and went for 1st run. Wonder what it means.

Maxim-X Observations:

If your a sporty rider like me, it's strange to sit up straight and ride around after many years of the tuck.
    Nice low exhaust note, why the heck doesn't yamaha make a new version of this?
    Peppy! No Wooooosh like my old ZX-11 but you get around!
    Brakes are wood! Gotta try working on them... Maybe the pads need breaking in.

Here's some sounds on my return.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j2581Af ... load_owner

9. TonyHes

TonyHes Member

Almost done :)

Things left to do:
    Low rpm carberation: POOP
    Passenger side horn: No horning
    Drivers side air box cover: Need one
    Tach: Toast
    Rad Cover: Need to foam it tight.
    Rad Overflow pipe: Need one.
    Choke Cable: Where did I lose it!
    Handlebars: Need straight bar, they're too high.

[​IMG]

10. xHondaHack

After looking at your video, I'm curious to know if you've adjusted your idle mixture screws? One or two of your cylinders is lean and it sounds like you still need to do a vacuum sync and a color-tune. If you still have trouble, you may have to re-clean the pilot and idle fuel circuits.

Had the same issue with my horns and it should be a simple fix as the horn has an adjustment screw on the back. Make sure you have power to one of the horn leads with the key on. The horn button, when depressed completes the ground for the other lead. With that in mind, keep the leads hooked up and loosen the screw. Then back the screw out while hitting the horn button until you get sound. Also, you should probably aim the horn openings down so they don't take on water if you get caught in a rainstorm.

The air-box covers are the same as the air-cooled models. Keep searching, good ones do turn up for sale on occasion.

Make sure you get a tach for the X as the red-lines are different.

Foam for rad cover is a good idea. Did the same on my bikes.

Overflow tubing is similar to vacuum hose and probably available through you local auto parts store. Make sure you route it properly around the left down-tube and down near the oil filter so it clears the exhaust.

Keep looking, the choke cables gotta be somewhere around. I'm sure Chacal could get you one if you can't find it.

I put Renthal "Street Fighters" on my bike but had to use 15mm Tusk brand risers so the controls cleared the tank at full lock. Some of the other guys on the site use the Euro Bend bars and like them. I don't think they require any risers?

While the X isn't a sport bike, I decided to help it in that department as I also lowered mine (raised the fork tubes) 1" for a more forward lean and slightly quicker steering. I did however trim the lower edge of the Rad cover for extra fender clearance, and I also run progressive springs with 15W fork oil for less brake dive.

Glad to see it's coming along, and hope to see a new video when you get it all dialed in.

11. TonyHes

TonyHes Member

HEY!

Been very busy, have an 85 xv1000 virago project gobbling time.

Have recently purchased carbtune sync and color tune tools and hopefully in the next month or so I'll be able to get some pictures up with the results!

I did do a sync already and things did improve, I'll redo while doing the color tune.

Horn:
    I was able to adjust the virago horn (same as x) with the little screw on the back to get it to work. Not so with the x. I tried making new gaskets out of cardboard but I think I used not quite thick enough cardboard as I still have no luck. I have another horn on the way... Hopefully, I can put something together.

Airbox Cover: Thanks to Hap I have bought one from ebay, hopefully it will arrive this lifetime.
    Tach: Got one, yay!
    Petcock leaking: Rebuild kit purchased. Repair=better but bubbly.
    Choke Cable: Found!
    Handle bars: Put off till winter/next year. Maybe I'm getting use to it.

A funny for you.......

F*&K Oil: Notes for persons changing fork oil. Relieve pressure before opening drain screw. Do not ask how I know. (My X was bobbing up and down like a boat, had to stop it). Used 15 instead of 10, the oil change has made a big improvement.

Anyone care to guess the mileage on this oil? It was super dirty and I believe under filled. (Now that I look at it the pic is so bad, it makes the new oil look darker and the old oil look cleaner, go figure).
    [​IMG]

Thank you XJ types!
    Tony.

12. xHondaHack

Good to see you're still picking away at the list. However, I would get the color-tune done before moving on to other things so it'll help make sure you don't have cylinder or two running too lean.

13. granitize

granitize Member

Canada - East Coast - Prince Edward Island
    How firm is your seat?

I just purchased a new to me 1986 750X ... (only in Canada eh?)
    What an awesome machine! But I find the seat too soft...

I am not a big guy - 5'7" and 160lbs... But I find it "compresses" in the front and causes me to lean onto the handle bars too hard.
    I'm used to riding a 1982 Seca 550... and find that comfortable enough. Big guy's must be uncomfortable on the X.
    Hurts an old guys hands eh?!?

I am thinking about firming the seat with some new foam his winter and "cutting back" the back to give my legs a little more room.
    Any comments?