1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

9/11 All Veterans Report for Muster

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by JohnStonePhoto, Sep 11, 2012.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

While I unfortunately missed the audition cut-off by3 points in 1983 and was not able to serve, I now 'serve' in my capacity as Band Director for the New York State American Legion's Boys' State program. I am accepted as a member of the Sons of the American Legion. One grandfather served in WWII in Italy and was a member of the Blue Devils. My other grandfather served (but I'm not sure of the branch at this time) and his job was to stay in his home town,stop the traffic, and make sure all houses within a given area were all dark when blackouts were called.

One of my uncles was a Marine in Vietnam, his job was helicopter repair.

All of them served honorably. I have my grandfather's discharge papers, all of his medals and badges, his uniform, and his flag from his funeral when he was buried in the mid 1990's. My other grandfather never talked much about his experiences at the traffic stops. My uncle retired from the TVA, and now works in a government EPA capacity.

Granted, I never had the opportunity to really serve, but in my capacity in the Boys' State program, I am able to encourage others to be able to do so.

Thank you to all who have served, and to all those who still do.

Dave Fox