1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A little bit of custom work on 81 XJ650 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by cregoryjames, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:59 AM.

1. cregoryjames

cregoryjames New Member

I recently bought an XJ650 Maxim from down in Ohio. Brought it up to Michigan and rode for a bit before making some adjustments.
    I had to replace the fork seals immediately.
    I put in a new 7" headlight (I believe for a Jeep, actually).
    Ended up chopping the mufflers off and welding on turndowns.
    Bondo over the logo mount for a more smooth looking tank (plus the guy I bought it from had some flaming skull metal decals). I blacked out the engine because I didn't think the original look could be salvaged. He had the bike painted orange (originally red based on my sanding) and I decided on a green.
    I'm happy with how it turned out considering I'm not a professional and I did everything myself (brother helped with welding the turndowns)

Now I'm looking at what my options for storage are. It came with a tour pack and luggage rack, but I didn't like the look of those. Considering swingarm bag/throw over bags/ something else. Any ideas are much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Welcome to the board, I am also from Saginaw Mi. how about that ha ha? Mine is an 1982 750 Maxim, not yet on the road.
    Cheers, 50gary