1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A little bit of custom work on 81 XJ650 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by cregoryjames, Jun 30, 2020.

1. cregoryjames

cregoryjames New Member

I recently bought an XJ650 Maxim from down in Ohio. Brought it up to Michigan and rode for a bit before making some adjustments.
    I had to replace the fork seals immediately.
    I put in a new 7" headlight (I believe for a Jeep, actually).
    Ended up chopping the mufflers off and welding on turndowns.
    Bondo over the logo mount for a more smooth looking tank (plus the guy I bought it from had some flaming skull metal decals). I blacked out the engine because I didn't think the original look could be salvaged. He had the bike painted orange (originally red based on my sanding) and I decided on a green.
    I'm happy with how it turned out considering I'm not a professional and I did everything myself (brother helped with welding the turndowns)

Now I'm looking at what my options for storage are. It came with a tour pack and luggage rack, but I didn't like the look of those. Considering swingarm bag/throw over bags/ something else. Any ideas are much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Welcome to the board, I am also from Saginaw Mi. how about that ha ha? Mine is an 1982 750 Maxim, not yet on the road.
    Cheers, 50gary

3. Mobius Williams

Mobius Williams Member

20200604_135200.jpg 20200604_135252.jpg
    Ive just got Med sized slant Saddlemans on my modded Seca. You can kinda see them in my avatar pic. Work great. I have aftermarket turn signals mounted with brackets I fabbed up to move them back and out of the way but that was the worst of it. Still enough room for a passengers legs too. Thats what worked for me. Hope the extra pics help. New to forum still learning to navigate.

4. cregoryjames

cregoryjames New Member

Thank you so much! That's basically exactly what I'm looking for! I didn't want to have to remove my bags to carry a passenger, but I need more storage than just my tool bag. I'll upload a picture when I get it done.

Also, just an update. My bike is now Flat Black until I can pick a color. I can't make up my mind, so any suggestions are welcome!

Mobius Williams likes this.
  5. cregoryjames

cregoryjames New Member

IMG_20200711_122002.jpg IMG_20200711_123252.jpg IMG_20200711_134419.jpg Got bags and paint finished. Mind you, I've never done body work or paint, I know the Bondo is messy.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  6. Zerva5

Zerva5 New Member

How loud is it with the pipes cut off? Need to do any re-jetting?

7. cregoryjames

cregoryjames New Member

I will post a video. I'm getting the carbs rejetted soon because it isles rough with the baffles gone. I had the stuff to rebuild the carbs anyway so the timing kind of worked out
    Won't let me upload the video. Trying to find a way to get it on here. Won't let me post a link either

8. Christopher Raison

Christopher Raison New Member

Great work. Would you mind sharing the details of the head light?