1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A little XJ confusion

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by wbaize, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

wbaize,

Stay safe in the storm. I can make the assumption you are near brownsville.
    Dont forget to add your bike's info into your signature, and add you icon on the XJBikes map. Theres a link to the map in my signature.

Welcome aboard, and shout if you need some help.

2. bluepotpie

bluepotpie Member

WOW!!! That is some powerful information. I have an 82 but never knew my VIN cause the sticker is gone. Now I know what it should be based on my 'shorty' code. Thanks man!

15R008447
    JYA15R008CA008447
    1982 XJ750J “Maxim”

Of course, I have no idea what number they started at for my serial number so I'm not sure which number I am. If i had to guess, I'd say I'm #8346 (based on that 82 was the first year of the xj750j and assuming they started at 000101 and 100101 for '83.... just a guess).

3. Wannaride

Wannaride Member

What awesome info.! My bike was sold to me as a 750...paperwork said only XJC (I assumed the C was "Canada." Everything else screamed 650 (pix, parts, etc.) Confirmation was the 15U business...leaves me with an '82 650 RJC Seca #741!
    THANKS!

4. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

Len, seriously... you need to write a book :-D

although between all your posts, you pretty much already have. But... if it was in print format, with that beyoootiful 650 engine cutaway on the front cover... I'd pay big bucks.

5. bluepotpie

bluepotpie Member

I second that. I'd be happy to buy a book written by our (not just) parts genius!

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Gee guys, you're making me blush............

But I'll get to work on the book right after I get a darned website up!!

7. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

I cant wait for the xj4ever.com site.
    It will make spending money so much easier ;)

8. bill

bill Active Member

I don't know - I don't seem to be having any problem spending plenty with Len so far :lol: Easier could be disastrous for my budget not to mention my marriage. :)

I would buy your book too Len - I'm sure it would be a valuable resource!

9. bluepotpie

bluepotpie Member

true, i'm sure an even easier way to spend money would prove dangerous but i'm willing to risk it. lol

and even if the book was full of crap, i'm sure it would be entertaining as all hell.

10. krayzeesmoke

krayzeesmoke Member

I just got a Seca 750 in a trade for a old boat that I had,VIN# is JYA5G2002CA110443

It needs carb work as most of them do, the front fork seals are leaking, the whole headlight assembly is missing, rear turn signal is missing and tail light is cracked :cry: .
    But my question is, could you send me a list of parts for the bike and a compatible bike/model list? I find alot of 1982 650's, 1981 750's, xj750 maxims, etc and do not know what parts will fit. :?
    Thanks in advance.

11. chacal

Hi Krayzeesmoke......unfortunately I do not have a list such as the one you are asking for!

However, if you want to send me a list of the SPECIFIC item that you are seeking, I'll be glad to let you know what I have, pricing, etc.

Thanks!

12. cnelson

cnelson New Member

Krayzeesmoke - trust Chacal.....he has it and the prices are as good as you will find.

13. bluepotpie

bluepotpie Member

I second that.

14. wbaize

wbaize Member

ditto

15. Robert

Robert Active Member

Welcome Krayzee,
    I will recommend you make an investment in the XJCD for that information. For $10 you get the parts cross-over list, the maintenance manual for a slew of the XJ models and other useful information/links.
    Worth the money.
    Sounds like you need to start trolling the For Sale forum and Flea-Bay. That is a list of parts but it looks like fairly common stuff.

16. lemur

lemur New Member

Wow....great info but....My bike was manufactured 11\81...the serial # is
    5N9 001478 the 5N9 means 83 and 001478 tells me it is an 82....what model year do I use for ordering parts? My gut tells me 82 but i would like to be sure....local yamaha dealer here has very bad reputation. anyone suggest a reputable online parts supplier?

tanks
    rob

17. chacal

Hey Rob!

Actually, 5N9 is the model ID code for any 1982-84 XJ650 Maxim (canadian) moldel, and the 11/81 build date makes it a 1982 model, as well as the 001478 serial number (the 1982 5N9 models began with serial number 000101, and the 1983 5N9 models began with serial number 050101, so your serial number definitely falls into the 1982 range of numbers).

Some people (but can you really trust them? :D ) say I'm a pretty good supplier.....

18. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Um, Rob--Chacal has everything you will ever need and a lot of stuff you can't get from Yamaha any more. I know we all sound like he's paying us to say it, but the guy really is a wealth of knowledge as well as having about every XJ part imaginable IN STOCK. He's helped me greatly...

19. nikoteen

nikoteen Member

WOW! That was some article Chacal.
    I've tried my VIN (short number 5V2003261) in one of the online VIN checks but couldn't get it to work I used JYA5V2003BA003261. I used the letter 'B' in the 9th position as my logbook says it was registered in Feb 1981. AND it also says that it's an XJ650J but in your notes it says:-

1981 XJ650 models

MODEL NAME: XJ650
    MODEL ID CODE: 4K0

But the code in my VIN matches the following US engine code:-

1982 XJ650 models

MODEL NAME: XJ650RJ Seca
    MODEL ID CODE: 5V2

Now i'm not too concerned (as my bike may well be made up of different ones as it's was chopped before i got it) I'm just ingtrigued by the history. So it looks like it may have had a 1982 US model engine dropped in at some time, looking at my engine code?

20. chacal

Hey Niko..............well, the 5V2 model code indicates that it is indeed a 1982 XJ650RJ (Seca) model, the 3160th one built in that year.

I'm unclear from your statement as to where you are getting your "short VIN = 5V2003261) from---is that what is on the engine case, or stamped onto the frame steering neck? Obviously, if the engine in the bike has been replaced, those two numbers will not match.

If that shorty VIN you provided came from the ENGINE CASE, then you are correct in saying that the ENGINE in the bike came from a 1982 XJ650RJ Seca model with a full VIN of JYA5V200?BA003261 (not sure about the check digit, which I changed to a "?", because I'm simply too lazy to calculate it right now!).

If that shorty VIN came from the bike FRAME, then that is what your bike actually is.......a 1982 XJ650RJ Seca model.

If the frame (steering tube) and engine case shorty VIN's do NOT match each other, then an engine swap has occurred somewhere in time.

In your post, you say that your bike is a 1981 XJ650J, which, unfortunately, is not correct.....an "XJ650J" is a 1982 model, that's what the "J" suffix indicates (remember, VIN model-year letter "codes" and Yamaha model name year-codes are NOT the same lettering system).

A 1981 XJ650 would be a model year-code = H, and thus would be called an XJ650H. A "registration date" may or may not be meaningful, as the owner may not have "registered" the bike immediately after purchase, although, if that Feb. '81 date is accurate, puts an "upper limit" as to when a bike was produced (i.e. a bike cannot be "registered" by an owner until after it has been produced by Yamaha).

I don't know if the above explanation clarifies or confuses, but I would recommend that you provide us with both the frame VIN (on the steering tube) and the engine case VIN (on the flat pad behind/beside the clutch cover) and then we can get deeper into the devil's details about your bike.