1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A new project, the abandoned xj650RJ

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ecologito, Dec 2, 2012.

?

After looking at the picture what would you do?

1. Replace the engine and transmission

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Replace only transmission

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sell the bike

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Take it to a shop and they can do it in no time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Nice looking parts bike , should be able to make a real nice Seca now. I would still do the 750 motor though.

MN

2. Frosty4232

Frosty4232 Member

Now that's what i need to find Is a maxim with some good parts and no title. How do you find all this just googling it and checking out ebay?

3. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

First I need to figure out how to get this one from Columbus, OH to Charlotte, NC

4. waldo

waldo Member

Road-trip Ill get the beer and chips you drive

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If it RUNS, you can have it delivered to you for about $300. Every vehicle transport company I talked to would only move a vehicle if it runs.

But it's only a little over 400 miles away. I'd borrow or rent a van (or trailer, depending on what you drive) and go get it. You can do it in one (long) day or easily on a weekend.

Nice find. I'd rethink the whole project and use the other bike for parts (including the frame if you have to.) Then after it's up and running, I'd get the 750 motor ready to swap in; and get everything figured out beforehand.

The 750 motor in a 650 Seca idea is just too good.

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

look at that.... the whole exhaust system, the seat, BOTH standing handles.....sheesh. Some guys have all the luck. (guess I better not talk about any of the 900's I have....)

dave

7. ecologito

Thanks, it is all XJKungfu I've been practicing and great masters in the forum.
    Next thing before I even touch it is to run the VIN number since the guy does not have a title.

8. ecologito

That would be a lot of chips and beer if you are driving from CA

9. ecologito

Update:

I have made arrangements for a friend to go pick up the bike and a shipping company (through uship.com) will pick it up and deliver it to me in North Carolina for $200.

I don't think it could get any cheaper than that so, we'll see how it turns out. Yes I am still thinking about using my bike's frame and most of the parts that are off the frame now will be from the donor bike.

Depending on the condition of the donor bike I may try to still add the 750 engine, clean and get new jets for the donor carbs to run the bigger engine. I should be getting my bag of goodies from fleabay, if it turns out to have the TCI box for the 750 I will be set.

After all that the next thing to do would be to get the brakes rebuilt before testing on the road.

Lots of plans and it seems like parts are falling in place (my driveway) :)

10. ecologito

Today I got important things accomplished. I finally met with the previous owner and got the title transfer to my name so I should be getting the new title on the mail soon.

The parts bike will be shipped to me next week and will be home on Wednesday.

A "grab bag" of odds and ends that I found on ebay arrived today.

A bunch of electonic parts, a whole wiring harnes,brand new speedo cable, throttle cables, TCI box for the 750 engine (SCORE!)...

And our course the main reason why I went after this box:

[​IMG]

11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

dang... they're almost as nice as the set i have for my 900rk that are still in the plastic and the staples have NOTeven been opened . :0)

nice stuff there....

dave

12. ecologito

They are brand new, they are so shiny that I don't even want to think about them being on a bike (almost like a collectible comic).

Here's a picture of some of the other stuff that came in the box. At this time I have no idea what is what so I other than the main switch for the key, could you guys help me out identify what is on the picture?

[​IMG]

13. waldo

waldo Member

Thats what I call a score you might want to buy a lotto ticket while lady luck is hanging with you

14. razz1969

razz1969 Active Member

Lets see,,,, starting at the top left and going clock wise. TCI and A rectifier, next is the pick up coil, looks like the reluctor in the bag. Next is the starter solenoid. the black doughnut looking thing looks like a fork dust cover. Then the ignition switch is next. Then the thing with the o ring is the oil level switch. Right above that I THINK is the diode block then above that is you beloved turn signal canceling unit. The last two I am not quite sure about, the black one could be the side stand relay ? and the gold looking one could be the engine cut off relay.

15. bigfitz52

Looks like razz pretty much nailed it on ID'ing the stuff. Yep, yes and sure is. Except I think the black relay is the flasher itself; and the gold one could be sidestand OR cutoff depending. (They're both "gold.")

I have a set of NOS "550 Seca" badges sitting right here on my desk, staples not removed either. SPARES. Here in the house, not out in the cold garage.

Luckily, as trashed as my 650 is, my sidecover badges are like new. But I (we) digress.

The Dragon Warrior has done well. The true treasure here is the TCI unit, for a 750 (or YICS 650.) Obviously the eBay seller was a bit confused (or Canadian.)

And there's a cancelling unit in there too. Plus you got somebody to ship your new Seca for 2 bean$.

I'm in awe.

16. bigfitz52

And the ignition switch still has its DECAL!

I'd switch my lock cylinder into that one.

17. ecologito

The one thing that I have not been able to spot / find is the rear outer fender. That sucker is really hard to find. I have found pretty much every other single part out there ( I just found another almost complete xj650RJ but I have no play dough $$ this time to get it.

The internet is powerful and the wallet is my brake.

18. bigfitz52

Virtually every numbnuts that got his hands on a 650 Seca "trimmed" the rear fender.

That one will just take patience.

19. ecologito

I just found one, the only problem is that it comes with two bikes and it is in California. I just cant justify to buy another project bike with awesome parts just for the fender. I called that seller and he is not willing to part the lot.

Here is the ad: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mc ... 00859.html

May the (YICS) force be with you...

20. bigfitz52

Yeah, finding parts doesn't count if every time you find one it has the whole rest of the motorcycle still attached.