1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A new project, the abandoned xj650RJ

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ecologito, Dec 2, 2012.

?

After looking at the picture what would you do?

1. Replace the engine and transmission

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Replace only transmission

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sell the bike

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Take it to a shop and they can do it in no time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

Thank you Len and Dave, it does help having people who know their wiring diagrams.

I will slowly but surely keep working on this project(s). It is quite a task to learn and do it as I go. I am sure after this project(s) I should be able to do it all over in 1/3 of the time (and hopefully half of the money. 8)

2. ecologito

Ok,

So my carbs for the 750 engine should be here on Monday and the carbs on the parts bike seem a lot cleaner (at least on the outside) that the one that I had. Since carbs are on the way I may mount the 750 engine onto the frame and start getting putting things together.

I may just bag carbs I started taking apart and take a look at the one on the parts bike. I am curious if PO messed with the jets since the parts bike has pods. We'll find out as I have time to take it apart.

3. ecologito

Today i got a key on the mail fromkey men. I sent them the code behind the ignition switch. I must be verylucky because the same key opened thehelmet lock and the gas tank.

I may need to use this switch since the other locks already match :)

4. Ejpt

Ejpt Member

gratz on the key eco!

5. ecologito

So... I was wondering if the parts bike would show any signs of life, I filled up with oil, put in a freshly charged battery, turned the ignition switch and... nothing, not lights will come on, nothing, I checked the fuses left in the original box and they are all good, jumped the solenoid and there were sparks but nothing else, nada, zero.

Its time to bring the multimeter out and start testing stuff.

Do you all have a preference or is there a certain order to check things out? I will end up checking everything at some point but I wasn't sure if a certain order may help to troubleshoot things out.

6. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    I would deffinately suspect the starter solenoid if you are not geting even a click out of the starter. The no lights situation leans towards the fuse block being bad. Double check the fuses themselves. The old glass tube fuse can look good but not have continuity through it.

Those would be the first two things that I would check.

Ghost

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Check the right hand controls, and pull the headlight bucket to see if any wires are bare or crossed.

Here's the big question........did you check to make sure that the engine is not seized?

Dave F

8. ecologito

I did get the headlight off but I need to do a little more digging.

Today I got the 750 carbs that I found on ebay. After the experience with the broken post on the current rack I was a little nervous but here is what I found:

[​IMG]

The don't look awfully dirty...
    [​IMG]

And all the posts are there, the floats are good and the are not frozen, the float needles are actually working

[​IMG]

So 15 minutes later they looked like this:

[​IMG]

I guess this is what the original ones were supposed to look like, a lot cleaner, no greenery growing so this is a lot better. I guess this one will only need a bit of cleaning and get new float needles and bowl gaskets.

On the parts bike I did turn the engine and it is not seized. I will remove the headlight and look at everything to make sure everything is connected, the next thing will be testing with the multimeter to figure out where current is not going.

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You have the perfect attitude and admirable motivation.

Carry on, Dragon Warrior.

10. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

And check your ground on the parts bike-the lights should work with voltage, good fuses, and a good ground-unless they are unplugged in the HL bucket.

11. ecologito

Thanks Fitz, the jets seemed a bit stuck so I am waiting on some kroil to get everything loose.

Hopefully this week / weekend will have time to get the 750 engine on the frame and start putting things back together. I will get the kits from Len to service the new carbs.

At time the project is overwhelming and I get excited about having enough parts to get two bikes running.

12. ecologito

I do have two more solenoids to replace and test (trial/error) and see if that takes care of it.

I did check the glass fuses for continuity and all three are ok. I will do more diggin behind the head lamp and see what's there. On the original bike I found a roach living there :(

13. hogfiddles

Good..........when you get REALLY familiar with where things belong in the bucket, let me know. Cuz I'll have to pick your brain about where some of MY wires go. Someone did some 're-wiring' in mine and now some of the wires don't have anywhere to go......and some others that don't belong.

Dave F

14. ecologito

I will sure be doing some labeling in the bucket. I found the diagram on the owners manual that shows wires for the 650. I even found the wires form the kick stand (that is how I realized this diagram is the matching one).

[​IMG]

15. MiGhost

Good score on those carbs. Those will clean up nicely!
    Your gonna have that bike purring in no time.

Don't forget to get those enrichment wells in the bowls clean.

Ghost

16. ecologito

Oh boy, I just want to say: When people give you advise LISTEN.

last week I ordered a couple of cans of kroil and today I stopped by Harbor Freight to pick up a manual impact screw driver.

I spent quite a few hours and sweat trying to break the carbs rack last week, today I sprayed kroil on each screw head and 20 minutes later a few swings with the hammer and here is the result.

When mechanics charge is for their experience and knowledge so people, take advantage of all the experience in the forum and learn. If it wasn't for the advise and experiences that I read about here I would still be fighting the rack and most likely messing up screws and would end up frustrated and throwing away the entire rack.

[​IMG]

17. ecologito

And that was the "donor" rack AKA the spare from now on.

The carbs that will go with the 750 engine are being serviced. Once again I sprayed everything that was coming off with kroil to make sure that it would be loose and that stuff works like magic.

Almost everything is off the bodies, next step get them super duper clean (scientific term for spotless).

[​IMG]

18. hogfiddles

Looking good! As you start putting things back, feel free to ask for reference pics if needed.

Dave Fox

19. ecologito

Thanks Dave,

When I was taking things apart I thought that everything had different sizes and could only fit one way, boy was I wrong. When took everything apart I realized that there were a lot more parts than space on my internal hard drive (bad memory sometimes). I will need some pictures to figure out which jets go where.

I will be out of town for the next two weeks so I will not be putting this back together right away. The only thing that is still in place are the emulsion tubes, they seem very happy where they are and not wanting to come out.

20. MiGhost

All the more reason to make sure they are pulled out, and cleaned. Soak those emulsion tubes with kroil while you are away on your trip.

Ghost