1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A new project, the abandoned xj650RJ

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ecologito, Dec 2, 2012.

?

After looking at the picture what would you do?

1. Replace the engine and transmission

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Replace only transmission

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sell the bike

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Take it to a shop and they can do it in no time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

I didn't know this was a bug, I thought if it was metal and has no paint it better shine :)

[​IMG]

I will need some more quality time with the bowls.

2. charly45

charly45 Member

theres so many parts you can overhall it all lol.thanx

3. ecologito

Today I finally made it home after 4,600 miles traveled over two weeks. In my mailbox I have a carb repair kit from Chacal as well as a petc0ck rebuilt,kit.

This weekend I will be getting the carbs back together and hopefully enough time for the 750 engine to go back in the frame.

I thought I had enough notes about what jets and carb parts went where but I may need a few more details. If somebody has pictures/diagram of the carb jets for the 750 carbs they will be much appreciated.

4. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Wow what a thread, just had to read it "cover to cover".

On the jets, look at the numbers. Of the two with a "flange" the larger number is the main fuel jet & goes into the emulsion tube (and has the copper washer under it), the smaller is pilot fuel & sits next to main with no washer.

Of the 2 without the flange that look like grub screws, the larger one goes in the middle hole up top and the smaller one goes in the end hole (careful it goes in the right end, engine side, other hole is for the cover plates that are sometimes not fitted). Hope that is some help to you

5. ecologito

That is a lot of reading, I hope you enjoyed all the ups and downs so far. This must be the longest thread by somebody that has never had (and still does not have) a running XJ.

6. 750E-II_29Rbloke

Wonder how many words are in it? lol don't worry you're getting there and doing it right, that takes time and unlike those threads where the bike runs on the first day, once yours fires up it'll stay running! :D

7. ecologito

Ok, I will be putting the carbs together tonight after catching up with the Walking Dead. I actually found a picture of the layout of the jets so hopefully I am getting this right

8. ecologito

750, yo said that on the top the high number goes in the middle but I found a post with the large number on one end and like this image below. Could somebody confirm the right position?

[​IMG]

9. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

The main air jet has the SMALL hole, and goes in the center. The pilot air jet has the LARGE hole, and goes to the engine side.

Yours seem to be all right.

10. ecologito

Has anyone ran into the issue of the plate screw not fitting into the hole?

It seems like the screw is too big for the hole so it is not catching, only one carb will take it so I have no clue happened. It seems like the screws grew overnight and now they won't fit.

[​IMG]

11. 750E-II_29Rbloke

Quite right, I don't know HOW I managed to give that bit of bum advice after the double and triple AND quadruple checking I've been doing. Sorry, glad quebecois was here to correct my rather major tiredness/noobness based oversight 8O

If I'm going to make any excuses, the words "counterintuitive jet sizing" would feature heavily!

Never heard of the cover plate screw issue, are you sure the threads are all clean & undamaged? They can be a bit finicky about starting off sometimes as it's hard to get them perfectly lined up through the plate & down in the carb where you can't hold it steady.
    Nobody seems to know exactly how much these plates DO if anything so if you really can't get them back you could probably leave them out and be just fine, I believe others have done this before (read one last night where they found the covers glued in place and had to bin them!) with the caveat being that the usual advice is if you took it out put it back

12. ecologito

750, no problem. When I was doing research about it it seems like even some manual out there has the information backwards so it's no biggie. Now I am trying to figure out what happened to the screws that attach the top plate and why they won't fit anymore.

13. 750E-II_29Rbloke

Yes even Mr Haynes fell for the "it's the main air jet so it must be bigger" bit 8O

Be interesting to hear what's going on with the "growing" screws, weird *twighlight zone music*

14. quebecois59

It looks like you mixed up some tiny bits...did you disassemble several carb racks at the same time?

15. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Eco, yes....that post goes in that hole. Once you have the brass plate in place, that will help line up the post and it will screw in quite easily. Often the plates are bent, so I lay them on my table saw and lightly hammer them flat again. Then, they lay in nicely and the post screw/anchor screw/whatever you want to call it, goes right in.

Looking good..........

Dave F

16. ecologito

I can't find the screws and plates from the 750 rack so I am using the ones from the 650. The screws seem to fit only one car body out of the entire rack, the other three don't like any of the screws... AGH!!!!

I will keep trying until one of gives up.

17. ecologito

Thanks for the tip Dave. are you still looking for a side stand bar? which side were you looking for? I may have one to spare :)

18. ecologito

Well, this is turning out to be quite annoying and puzzling. I have screws and plates that go over the air jets out of my 650 rack and try to place the onto the 750 rack. The racks seem identical other than jets, the original plates and screws are nowhere to be found (mental not, don't take something apart and go out of town for three weeks).

All the screws seem to fit in only one carb body, the other three carb bodies don't like any screws... I have tried everything I have (even tossing the screws in the freezer and see if they would fit after that. All 4 are identical so I have no idea, they have tested my patience today so I may need to go to Lowes and stain my deck or something :evil:

19. quebecois59

Maybe you will end up not putting the plates back on any carb. That way, they at least will be all the same.

I haven't been able to find any information to what these plates are there for.

20. ecologito

That is what I was thinking, I believe they didn't have them when I bought this rack so I am curious about what would happen if I just don't put them in at all.

My guess is that they restrict air flow to the jets or create a certain path for air to reach the jets, not sure how that will affect the functionality at the end of the day but that is one option.