1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A new project, the abandoned xj650RJ

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ecologito, Dec 2, 2012.

?

After looking at the picture what would you do?

1. Replace the engine and transmission

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Replace only transmission

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sell the bike

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Take it to a shop and they can do it in no time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    Eco.
    Those plates are not shown in the parts schematics for the 750 carbs. Only the 650's. It has been discussed that they are a type of airflow control for the air jets. It should be no problem to leave them out.

Ghost

2. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

AWESOME!!!

That is all I needed to know, since I was having a hard time with them and my little one decided to take a 2 hr. nap I could not leave the house so I moved on to cleaning a bit more the carbs on the outside since the inside should be good to go.

This process has been almost therapeutic and I am finding out that I may have XJ-ADD.

I started cleaning the top of the carbs and somehow ended up mounting the 750 engine into the frame. It was a whole lot easier to get the engine back in than it was to take the old one out.

So here is my morning frustration / progress on images.

Finished with the little things inside the carbs:
    [​IMG]

Bringing it to a mirror shine may just take a bit of time:
    [​IMG]

Wait, what happened? I thought I was cleaning doing some minor cleaning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ecologito

While I was waiting for the weekend and have some time to set the floats on my carbs and sync them I though I would start putting some other things back on the frame.

I thought the airbox would be a 2 minute thing just to put it bak in... there is no such thing on this project. I feel like I am trying to fit a square peg on a round hole.

Was I supposed to put the airbox in before the engine? at this time there seems to be no way to fit it back in with the engine in place. There is just not enough room to wiggle it in.

4. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

I *think* the airbox will go back with the engine in, you just have to struggle & I've heard maybe heat it so it doesn't crack if it's cold out.

There was a thread where somebody else was trying to do this as well IIRC, don't know if they managed yet I'll look ;)

EDIT-: wow look at post-whore me, red-liner in 2 weeks where you're on 248 posts & you're doing a full on rebuild! Oops 8O :oops: :oops:

EDIT 2-: this post has a bit of advice from mercuryman a way down page 1 http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=4 ... irbox.html

Foolber was the other member struggling, maybe he's worked out a way round it

5. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

"Yes" <- That is the correct answer.

How did you take it out? (it looks like it's in the frame in the first pics you posted).

There are tales of people getting it in, but it might require removing the intake joints if you haven't already (and CAREFUL, the screws like to snap off and get stuck in the head, requiring professional to remove) and you might need to unmount the engine to allow it to drop forward to give you a "little" more room. I wouldn't try heating or bending the airbox without doing those two things first (you might need all of them to get it in).

Or just pull the engine again, the airbox went in before the engine at the factory.

6. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    As you are going to have to pull the motor back out to put the driveshaft boot on that you forgot. :oops: Go Ahead. Blame it on all that FL sunshine that you soaked up!

Take the opportunity to "put the airbox in first".
    Actually. Pulling the swingarm would be considerably easier to do for the driveshaft boot!

Otherwise. Remove the starter, and front engine mount bolts. Letting the engine pivot forward should give you just enough room to squeeze the airbox in.

Now that you have me thinking about it. I would be curious to find out if the airbox would fit in from the rear. Through the rear fender liner with the swingarm removed? Care to find out?

BTW: Don't let Fitz see those nasty original brake lines :idea: that are still on that bike. :p

Ghost

7. 750E-II_29Rbloke

umm, woops good spot Ghost! That's an interesting point you make about going "in the back door" when the swingarm's off, looks like it would fit 8) like you say, lot easier than pulling the motor again.

And it's OK the bike's not being used yet, and you were replacing them anyway weren't you ecologito... :wink: :lol:

8. ecologito

The bike is not even close to be road ready, once I sync carbs i still have to rebuild maste cylinder, new brake lines, shoes and pads, new tires, the whole 9 yard before I even think about putting it on the road and take it for inspection.

At this pace the bike will be ready for my baby's sweet 16 (she is 6 months old) but I will eventually finish it.

9. ecologito

Well... after a bit of rocking the engine in the cradle, and removing the starter I was not able to get the airbox in so engine will have to come out on Saturday, pop airbox and engine back in.

This is a whole learning process that could test anybody's patience :p

10. 750E-II_29Rbloke

So you're not trying the swingarm technique... Does it not look hopeful in the flesh? I'd have preferred that to lifting an engine around tbh but then I can't really see how it looks. Just don't forget that UJ gaiter while the motor's out or you'll kick your own butt lol

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i took the airbox out of a 750 junker and if i remember i had the starter off the carbs off and the back motor mount off and it still didn't come out.
    then i cut one side of a frame bracket around the seat/tank area and bent it out of the way, then it was no problem. i do remember thinking, that was easy and wouldn't be hard to fix.
    see if something like that would help

12. ecologito

Alright, the airbox is in! It took me 30 minutes to get the engine out far enough to slide the airbox in. This whole engine removal process is not fun but I am sure that will go a lot smoother and quicker next time... Wait no no no more "next" time. I have been infected with the xj bug. Thanks Dave and fitz

13. 750E-II_29Rbloke

Hahaha, bad isn't it!

Glad you managed to get airbox sorted, did you pull the motor all the way out or how far did you have to strip it? 8)

14. ecologito

The engine pretty much came off all the way for about 30 seconds, I had one hand on the frame almost upside down and the engine on the ground, slipped the airbox and I dropped the frame again on the engine. This time it took a lot of wresting for the engine to sit right on the cradle but it finally did. Hopefully I can make some time tomorrow to wet set the carb floats and bench sync them so I can get them in as well.

15. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Glad you got the air box back in, I bet that's the last time you'll do that ;)

Nice work keep it up!

16. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Did he forget to install air box before motor ?? oh damn ... yes thats a b**ch !

17. ecologito

Yes I did, and it was a P.I.T.A. It has been impossible to sync the carbs since I will smell like a gas pump and either the wife is at home or have to feed the baby... agh!!! I just need an hour and can't seem to find it.

18. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

I put my wife on her horse , point her twords the mountain behind me and i got all day !! unless she is elbow deep in grease and oil with me !

19. ecologito

Since I will be working on the floats this weekend I decided to bench sync the carbs so now I know what I am looking for (at least I feel like I do).

This forum provided with a great show-how thread to make this a simple task: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=6366.html

20. osprey1000

osprey1000 Member

Eco. Looking good. That thread that you linked gave me a great idea what to do. If you run into any problems or anything feel free to contact Dave... er, Hogfiddles, He gave me the run down and a few tricks that helped with doing that. I have not done the running sync on the carbs but from hearing her run, I think they are pretty close. Keep up the good work!!!