1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A new project, the abandoned xj650RJ

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ecologito, Dec 2, 2012.

?

After looking at the picture what would you do?

1. Replace the engine and transmission

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Replace only transmission

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sell the bike

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Take it to a shop and they can do it in no time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mike82mxm

Mike82mxm Member

Are you one of those that if your dared you would do it?
    I DARE YOU

(i just wanna see it too)

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I said 'almost'...........

3. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

Wow, I am impressed with the amount of traffic this for gets once it's riding season. I joined in December and it was pretty slow, other than Dave and master Shifu there were only a few posts here and there. Now I feel lile I really need to get something road ready.

4. ecologito

Well, Dave teased me with one shot of his stable... All I can say is that the place looks like the Budweiser stables with all the 900's

5. ecologito

Just for reference I found a JIS screwdriver in the little tool bag in my Subaru today when getting the jack out to change the oil.

6. ecologito

Today our baby went to bed early so I had a bit of time to work on the parts bike. I was getting ready to check valve shims and as I was loosening up the bolts I heard a bird on the tree next to the bike flipping out, I was curious why this little Carolina Wren was so mad, I found out that she decided to call the airbox home.

There is a nest with 4 little eggs so I finished to loosen up the bolts, looked at the weather forecast and since it is getting pretty dark I have decided to finish up the job tomorrow. I am sure momma Wren will appreciate it.

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You could try to move the nest.

THOROUGHLY rinse (in hot water) a kitchen towel you don't care about and leave it outside for a day or two, then use it to handle the nest. Move it somewhere not too far away and as sheltered as the airbox if possible. She should find it.

I used to get mouse nests. Even in the garage. Mice peed on my Norton's air filter screen and made it rust. I've learned moth balls aren't just for moths.

8. hogfiddles

Looks like you need to get another bike....................

Dave F

9. ecologito

Thanks for the tip Fitz, this is the parts bike airbox that the PG (previous genius) decided to cut off when he switched to pods. Instead of removing the box he hacked the airbox so now is useless. Once I check the valve shims (I would expect a couple out of spec) I will have to mail them to Dave, get them back and install, that may give the little eggs enough time to hatch and fledglings time to move out.

I already have that 750 offsite, what I need is a shed or a bigger driveway and Invisible paint so my HOA won't see the collection :p

10. ecologito

Checking valve clearances does get a lot faster the second time around, the first time took forever so here is what I found:

IN - 0.15 - 0.18 - 0.11 - 0.17

------ 1 ----- 2 ----- 3 -----4

OUT- 0.22 - 0.12 - 0.20 - 0.18

This engine so far is looking a lot better than the other one I checked.

The actual spec is:

Intake: 0.11~0.15mm
    Exhaust: 0.16~0.20mm

Now I know which shims to pull and look for replacement.

11. hogfiddles

Don't forget to check what shim sizes are in there. You MAY get away with just swapping some around............

Also, I don't know as you're accurate on the .16-.20 for both. I believe it's still .11-.15 for intake and .16-.20 for exhaust. So, where did you get the specs of the same for either side?

Dave F

12. ecologito

Thanks for the ring Dave, I still have to pull the shims to figure out what I need but first and foremost is to point out that it seems the Hayes manual info is wrong and this is the right info based on the link below where people refer to the Yamaha sticker (manufacturer spec).

Intake: 0.11~0.15mm
    Exhaust: 0.16~0.20mm

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=7 ... rt=15.html

I will have to double and triple check my sources and will delete de inaccurate information to avoid future confusion.

I wish I could meet you up there for the carb clinic, my doctor would not call me back but Dave called me to let me know that I may be getting inaccurate info. It seems like Dr. Hogfiddle-good (music reference) will have my xj running better than my replaced ACL :)

13. hogfiddles

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3 ... rt=15.html

Here's a link to the forum showing that .11-.15 is correct, NOT .16-.20 and it's probably the same one you just brought up, too.

At any rate, compare your side cover to the one in the pic.

You should be going with the .11-.15 IN and .16-.20 OUT

Dave F

14. ecologito

Thanks Dave, I will go with that. Worse case scenario I need to get another bike :)

15. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

It's not that often we see several valves too loose on the same XJ!

I know it is better to have valves in specs, but I don't know if I would bother changing shims that are too thin like intake #2 and #4 and exhaust #1. The worst that could happen is these valves woudl be more noisy that usual. If you change these shims for thinner ones, you will end up with 0.13 and 0.12 mm for intakes #2 and #4, and 0.17 for exhaust #1, which wouldn't give you much room for eventual wear.

I'd be more concern with intake #3 on the tight side of specs and exhaust #2, definitely too tight.

16. hogfiddles

Well you don't want them too loose, either. If they are TOO loose, then the valve doesn't open enough, or long enough. Too TIGHT does the opposite--they don't close all the way, or long enough.

Now, it is also possible....maybe a long shot.....that a previous owner has already done a shim swap, but had actually used the incorrect measurement range to begin with, thinking he was putting it in spec.... that would explain the odd clearances...

But you're right......shims that are too loose are not common.

I had also already sent him a PM regarding that, too ;)

DAve

17. quebecois59

Yes you're right, but it brings the question about how much "looseness" is tolerable even if out of specs? I don't think it makes any sense going one size thinner when an exhaust valve has a 0.21 mm clearance, because it would bring the clearance down to 0.16 mm, on the tight side of specs.

I'd say 0.18 for an intake and 0.23 for an intake is definitey too loose, but if you'd go down one size on valves with clearance like 0.17 intake and 0.22 exhaust and then end up with 0.12 and 0.17 respectively, be prepared check them again soon.

18. hogfiddles

.12 for an IN and .17 for an OUT are both in spec. In spec is in spec, and won't need to be checked til next check. Next check doesn't mean they're gonna change by then, either. They might, but then again they might not. That's why it is called an valve clearance CHECK. :) I wouldn't worry about it. I would be more concerned with the valves being too far open. On the fat side of spec is fine. Way too loose is not fine.

Dave F

19. quebecois59

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification!

20. ecologito

Ok, for the pat few days we have had afternoon thunderstorms and this waiting is killing me. I can't wait for the birds in the airbox to hatch and move on. I can leave them alone as long as the weather is good so I can get valve shims out and figure out what I need.