1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A new project, the abandoned xj650RJ

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ecologito, Dec 2, 2012.

?

After looking at the picture what would you do?

1. Replace the engine and transmission

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Replace only transmission

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sell the bike

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Take it to a shop and they can do it in no time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Well I've said it before, many moons & plenty of pages ago. But this is an AWESOME THREAD!!! 8) And I've just spent until 3.15am reading it from top to tail AGAIN!...

But ecologito, where are you now & what has become of the bikes? Have we any running yet? Hope you & yours are all well and you'll be around with more progress soon. Best, Dan.

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Oh, he's around......just busy with a business trip. He's still working on them, having a tough time with the 750. We're still trying to diagnose a no-spark condition, and we've gone back as far as the stator and pickup coil but still waiting to test and trouble-shoot there. That's where we're stalled at the moment.

I'm still trying to talk him out of a few parts.........LOL:) As he is also trying to talk me out of a few parts! Hah ha!

dave fox

3. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

I am still here, right now the seca has been winterized (in boxes in the shed). Like Dave said the 750 maxim is on the driveway driving me crazy since I rather spend time and money on the seca and this other #$%*& bike won't even start. I just want to throw it away some days but I don't even have time for that.

I am also saving some play money to buy the entire rebuild kit for the seca to replace throttle shaft seals and all the other parts that need to be replaced to make sure that I have a perfect set of carbs for it.

The last order from Len included new steering and swing arm bearings for the seca to make sure that they are sound and solid once I start putting the entire thing together.

4. hogfiddles

Your RJ looks better than mine right now!

Dave Fox

ps: and it probably runs better, too.

5. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Good good, glad you're still plugging away at them :) this business trip thing is what's called "a good thing", since it doesn't give you time to throw away the bike & regret it later, which you would! :D If the shipping wouldn't be a killer I'd be trying to talk mr fox out of some 31A fork legs, personally...

6. ecologito

Well.. I am stil hoping to have time to work on it at some point. Like DAve says, it will get done when it gets done, at this pace I may need to put the bikes on my will so my great grand kids can work on them :p

7. hogfiddles

I found a set of pipes for my 650rj! Now to repair the collector I found, while looking for GOOD one.

8. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

im sure the site will still be here ;)

keep up the work!

9. ecologito

It has been a year since I joined this forum, started my journey to fix the 650 seca. The best part has been to meet so many great people of this forum. The bike now is sitting all apart in my small shed.

Now I need to get the mexim out of the way do I can focus on the Seca. Thank you all for all your messages, support, knowledge and phone calls.

Happy Holidays and looking forward to get something done on year 2.

10. ecologito

After only one day on CL the Maxim sold without any haggling. I guess it helps to know what you are selling. Hopefully the new owner will show up on the forum for help.

In the meantime I have more play money to invest on the Seca, I have contacted Len and hopefully will start working no the carbs as soon as the rebuilt kit gets here.

11. hogfiddles

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

12. ecologito

It has been so long since I looked under the tarp that I had to go back to my now thread to look at what I've done.

So it seems like I already did the shim job on the 650 spare parts bike. Now that the maxim is out of the driveway I can roll the seca out of the shed, pull the 750 engine out, get the 650 in and work on the carbs since I should have the rebuilt kit from Len delivered next week.

Let's get back to work on this project!

Thank you for the advise Dave and Fitz.

13. ecologito

And that was quick,

Len shipped the parts and got them today, that was really fast turnover, makes me wonder if he drove here and deliver them overnight.

Now it's time to get to work on the 650 carbs and put them all back together. I just need to remember what goes where.

Luckily once again Len comes to the rescue:

http://www.xj4ever.com/hitachi%20thrott ... 0seals.pdf

14. ecologito

Today I got a bike jack to move the bike around on the driveway, it seems like a really handy toy to have around, easier to push around and easier on my back when working on the bike.

Today I pulled the 750 carbs and hopefully this weekend I will have time to swap engines to get the 650 seca back in place. I just realized that I have an entire spare bike in boxes in the shed so I will be picking the best parts to make a good looking stock bike.

At this pace I don't know if this will be done this year or it will have to wait until next year. Luckily the riding season is pretty long in North Carolina.

More to come... and btw I would encourage anybody working on a bike to use this forum as a log book for what they do, I read my thread back to realize that the valve shims have ben checked on the spare 650 engine that is going on the frame.

15. ecologito

And the 750 seca engine came out of the frame, now is time to get things cleaned up, and load the 650 engine on the frame.

[​IMG]

16. ecologito

Before getting the engine in I decided to make sure that everything is not just functional but also good looking.

New bearings and seals for the swing arm are here and ready to go so I decided to give some fresh life to the entire thing. It took me a little while today to strip the old paint, sand down some superficial rust and get everything prepared. Here is the arm after three coats of primer. Just waiting to dry and after some 400 sand paper cleaning the black paint will go down.

[​IMG]

17. ecologito

And two coats of black paint later...

[​IMG]

18. hogfiddles

You'll get THIS one done, then you WON'T want to ride it!

LOL

dave

19. ecologito

It's will be no different than right now that have nothing to ride, but I will have a shiny bike on the driveway :p

20. hogfiddles

rotfl