1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A new project, the abandoned xj650RJ

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ecologito, Dec 2, 2012.

?

After looking at the picture what would you do?

1. Replace the engine and transmission

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Replace only transmission

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sell the bike

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Take it to a shop and they can do it in no time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

oops, that should have read "Kroil", not Krill............that would stink--who in their right mind would soak their bikes with fish food?!?!? LOL

Dave Fox (now back at home so I don't have to type on the tiny little mobile screen)

2. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

Not a good day here, I need a cold one.

I got my shims, I started measuring and somehow everything is off compared to my original measurements. Now it seems like 7 out of 8 valves were within specs with the original valve shims... agh!!! I just walked away and remeasure and figure it out later.

When I came home found a packet, I ordered a center stand from ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/soc/itm/220434061468

I am trying to figure out where it goes and either I am just really mad about the valves and can't think straight or this stand was mis labeled and it is not for the 650RJ.

3. ecologito

I was frustrated between shim valve clearance and baby not giving me a break. I figured out how to mount the center stand so it was all right and is what I needed. The current stand needs a bit of cleaning and maybe a fresh coat of paint. I may keep it off for now until I get the engine back in the frame. I know it should be out of the way but is one less thing that I need to worry about.

I picked some turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover and tried it in the brake pedal. It seems to work great with grime and rust. Where the chrome has been chipped there is no way around it. I will be doing a lot of cleaning later... maybe in 16 years when my baby can drive herself to her own functions :p

4. ecologito

I just need to go to bed, this is what happened when I tried to drill out the broken bolt in the brake pedal

[​IMG]

On top of that while doing this the drill bit was slipping from the chuck so I held it tight with one hand and the brake pedal flung full speed onto my face. Now I have a broken drill bit and a brake pedal with a piece of bolt half drilled and a piece of drill bit inside the hole.

I will call it a day and tomorrow will be a better one.

5. hogfiddles

At least you didn't finish the statement with ".....and a broken nose with half a brake pedal sticking out of it".

Dave F

6. razz1969

razz1969 Active Member

++++1 on that. Also enjoy your family while they are young. Because before you know it they will pretend that you don't exists, and you would be wishing to have all the moments that you have now, back.

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  7. ecologito

I did have a great time with the family today. :D

You should see my chick bone, it looks like a Hollywood actor who is about to OD on botox :cry:

8. hogfiddles

I can imagine.........

Quick update on my 650rj......carb rack is lightly re-assembled now except for the slide assemblies. Everything else is cleaned and back together loosely while waiting til I can order the throttle-shaft seals, and fuel o-rings.
    Boy, it sure looks a far sight better that it did! I'm probably going to order up some nice caps for the rack, too. these are pretty nasty.....some PO sprayed black paint over the rust pitting. But, the nice thing is that under all the goo, stain, old gas, etc..... everything came apart well, and the only thing that I damaged was one bowl drain screw.

Hey, keep me posted on the shims......if you need to swap any sizes back, that's no prob. Suggestion.....make sure that after you put the new shim in, you rotate the cams around a couple times to make sure that the new shim has snapped down into the recess and is fully seated before taking a test measurement.

Dave F

9. ecologito

Glad to hear you had time to work on your carbs, I sorta had the day off but let's forget about today. I am working tomorrow and Sunday so probably not a whole lot of time to work on the carbs or the valve shims.

I am really excited about this bike and really can't wait to hear the engine going to feel like some progress has been done. I am sure take the time to get everything double checked and done right will pay off at the end of the day.

Time to hit the hay and I will take some pictures of the frame when it gets cleaned and the parts that I've got on the mail so far.

10. ecologito

Another full day at work so not much time to work on the bike but yesterday I came home and it was like Christmas all over again.

[​IMG]

I got some good looking turn signal lights and original horns to go it. The gauges are not from a 650RJ but I think they are really cool and will do for now until I can find the original speedometer to restore the cluster I have for it.

11. hogfiddles

All those parts are for the 85/86 xj700/750 airheads. The gauges we've already talked about.

The signals- the stems are different than on your bike, so you'll need to make sure that you check your wiring connections. Also, you'll need to do some fabbing or customizing for mounting them. The originals were on a long chrome stem, and it has a square base that fits into a square opening in the rubber grommet. The lenses, of course, are different. Personally, I like the look of these lenses better than the older lenses. Actually, my PERSONAL preference is for the clear lenses with the amber bulb in them........that's what's going to be on my 700X when it's done.

The horns-- they should bolt right on, but the covers are a little different. Otherwise, they'll be fine.

The brake pedal-- You may have an issue with the pedal,you may have interference issues. The 650 pedal is longer and a flatter curve. The airhead pedal is shorter and has a much more acute bend. I'll try to compare the two when I go back out to the shop later this evening.

dave F

Keep up the fun!

12. ecologito

You are correct, I looked at the pedals and this one is different (shape and size). This is just not fun, I wish parts were interchangeable and stuff would fit multiple bikes. I am just learning that this is not like replacing speakers on my car :(

This may take forever if I have to wait for the right parts to show up on ebay.

13. hogfiddles

Well....there's a lot of parts that will interchange between many of the bikes, but you and I have just been able to acquire one of a handful of the rare ones, so we have to just pull up our big boy's diapers and deal with it. It's easier for me, only because I've been playing around with these xj's of different sorts for about a dozen years (others have been on them much longer) and I have learned that there are parts that are easy to get, and there are others that aren't...........just gonna hafta wait sometimes.

Now, to the pedal----

I went and did a side-by-side comparo. Here's what I find. Interestingly, the overall curve isn't the issue. Those are relatively close. the pedal 'pad' is about an inch more forward on the xj700 pedal. That's not the issue either. the ISSUE is that the 650 seca pedal has a small, flat landing welded to it, and there is a threaded hole that a bolt and locking nut get mounted on. That bolt is adjustable to allow pedal adjustment. that bolt bumps up against the footrest mount. The xj700 pedal does not have that boss on it, and will then only stop when it bumps up all the way against the footrest mount. In that case, the pedal 'pad' is waaaay to high to comfortably reach, and could even be a problem as your toe would probably end up under the pad when you're riding. If you modify the pedal by welding a flat boss onto it, that would solve the problem. Just make sure to copy the position of that in relation to the center of the pivot hole. It sounds like a lot, but it's not a difficult mod in this instance.....

Hope that helps you some........

Dave F

14. ecologito

Thanks Dave,

I guess I didn't realize when you said that the XJ650RJ was a "rare" bike that it was going to be that hard to find the parts that we are looking for.

Thanks for the details about the pedal and the mounts for the turn lights, I guess I will figure it all out once I start putting the bike all together.

I will post pictures with more details about this process.

Have a great week and Happy 2013, it seems like the New Year will bring at least 2 RJs back to life

Pepe

15. hogfiddles

Yep, when someone says 'that xj is 'rare' ' , you need to read it as "that's a nice xj you got there....it's one of the more rare ones.....you're gonna have a hard time finding certain pieces......could be just a couple, or it could be just a bout everything..........have fun!".

It could be a 1-model bike, or it could be low availability bike, or it could be unobtainium......any which way you look at it, you're gonna hafta search.

Examples:

my 650 Maxim- parts galore, I have two others that are going to NJ, along with a whole "boatload" of parts. I'm not worried about losing parts.....I'll find more of them. Easily. Heck, I'll probably have a new 'boatload' by the time these go, and he's probably gonna end up with more parts that we originally talked about, simply cuz they're going to keep coming in.

My 700 airhead and my MaximX - not as many made as the maximX, though the X is more difficult to find parts for. Go figure. I only have one parts bike for the airhead, and actually once I find a replacement frame, I'll rebuild that one. The X--well, I've been collecting parts for a few years so that I can build one from scratch. Yup, started with a bare nekkid frame.

the 900's.....only about 1000 or so came to the states to begin with, as they were shut out quickly with the "Harley Tariff". MANY parts are turning into unobtainium, I have several of the bikes, a couple other guys have several parts bikes, still...there's only about 60 or so registered on the XJ900RK Seca Database for USA-Delivered bikes. One of mine happens to be the lowest registered number to date.

Now the 650rj seca non-turbo--basically a European bike that 'fell off the ship', as someone else said (awesome line, LOL). Available here for only 1 year, available in Canada for 2 years, I believe. Many of the parts were model-specific, except for the engine and related parts......and some of the other parts that you and I have already talked about.

Then.......there are the anomalies, like the carbs on mine.......bowls only have one drain port, the other side that most have as a blanked out port (can be drilled and tapped if needed)is not part of my bowls. There are a few others that have turned up with the same thing, but most have the two-port bowls (one to use, and the other for'just in case it's needed'). Then there's the question of why do these carbs have the FINE mixture screws instead of the COARSE mixture screws?.....etc......

Then there was a discussion awhile back on the 700's that were not California models, but the carbs had the bosses for where the other ports would be, while others didn't have them........

It's all part of the fun. Don't let the lack of availability get to you. What I do is simple: I try to find a part, and if I need to wait it out then I come up with some reasonable mod or substitute that will work and look good until the correct part does come along. I have waited sometimes 2 or 3 years for a part to show up. It's all good.

IN the meantime, whenever you find that you need a part, PM me and I'll see what I've got. I tend to hold onto parts that I replaced, rather then toss them. I'd rather see a part be able to be repaired and used than thrown away.

I just came across a baggie of parts, and found the missing seat hinge....now both are on, and I just need to find the pins. the worst thing for me is going to be finding original exhaust parts. The po threw away the original pipes and mufflers because 'they were getting a little rusty and one of the mufflers was going bad', and he put on a 4-into-1 exhaust (yuck). Hey, anyone got a decent exhaust for an 82 XJ650rj that they'd want to trade for a nice 4/1?

Have a great day tomorrow!

Dave Fox

16. osprey1000

osprey1000 Member

Eco, Dave isn't kidding when he says that he has a "collection" of parts. I was at his workshop and was simply in awe of all the parts that he had collected and some of the repair work to them, WOW. Amazing results. That 700-x that he built from a frame. Yup it is as awe-inspiring as it sounds. There have been parts for my 650H Maxim that I have no idea if I will ever see come across e-bay or CL. Dave not only knows the part, but in some cases he has 2-3. May have to start bribing him myself. But like he says, don't be discuraged, the parts will show up.

Happy New Year to both of Ya!

17. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The thing to keep in mind in regard to 650R is that it was a completely different bike than the USA-market Maxims or even other Secas for that matter.

The 650 Seca is a Euro-spec bike that they brought here for one year (two in Canada.) NOT A LOT interchanges with anything else (although the front fender is the same as the 550 Secas, if you want a chrome front fender...)

I think you're also going to find that your "new" tach is electronic; the 650R has a mechanical tach.

What you're learning the hard way is the "Yamaha family resemblance" issue. A LOT of the parts on the XJ series (and in fact all '80s Yamahas, regardless of number of cylinders/displacement) LOOK the same; but upon closer inspection, they only resemble each other but are actually quite different.

There were no less than FIVE different front brake calipers used on the XJ series; all either slightly or drastically different.

Turn signals may LOOK the same, but often mount differently.

If you're not sure; check the fiche http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/c/yamaha/parts or post a question. (Or do what Dave does, have me run out in the garage and look at my stock 650R.)

18. hogfiddles

Yes, the 700 tach is electronic.

Osprey.......you ain't seen nuthin'..........I didn't show you the rest of them. They're all asleep somewhere else. I didn't want to wake them up, so we didn't drive over there. They get pretty mean if I disturb them in the winter. One tried to bite me one time.

Dave F

19. ecologito

Thanks osprey,

By obviously Dave knows what he's talking about and when he talks about boatloads of parts tells me that he has quite a collection of parts not just bikes. Look at his signature, that is bigger than my will.

Obviously that collection of parts did not show up overnight so I will have to be patient and follow Dave's example; modify and work with what I have until the right part shows up (and hope that Dave does not scoop it out before I do) :lol:

20. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I need a set of 650R head pipes that aren't completely rusted. Riigght. And so do both of you plus a couple dozen other guys, some of whom aren't even members.

I also need a rear brake pedal, one that hasn't been bent and straightened a half dozen times.

Other than the 900, and the Turbo, the naturally-aspirated 650 Seca is one of the most difficult to find certain parts for. The only reason there's any hope at all for any of us is that they sold way more of them than the aforementioned bikes.

Be glad you're not trying to restore an XJ900R. Or find a set of 550 Seca mufflers.