1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A new project, the abandoned xj650RJ

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ecologito, Dec 2, 2012.

?

After looking at the picture what would you do?

1. Replace the engine and transmission

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Replace only transmission

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sell the bike

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Take it to a shop and they can do it in no time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Umm...

Hold the phone!

Stop right now and check the shorty VIN on the YICS motor. That's either a Canadian motor or a 750 motor. Unless somebody did the swap before you.

And forget about having to swap the shifter stuff. Those are both Seca configured motors. The question is where/what the YICS motor is.

You might be about to make a big upgrade.

2. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

And the Power ball tonight is.... 5G2 - 1981-83 XJ750 Seca USA correct?

3. bigfitz52

8O

The project has taken a new turn.

What you have there Dragon Warrior, is a 750 Seca motor. Check it out: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14577.html

You'll need a 750 Seca TCI unit. NOT a 750 Seca wiring harness (honest.)

The ecoman is buildin' hisself a hot-rod. You can keep the thread in XJ Chat, you (inadvertent) modifier you.

This will actually be a tad more challenging than using a different harness; but totally do-able. Check with Len for possible plug-n-play options he may have.

If you want 110% confirmation, go look on the front of your cylinder block, just above where it meets the block. You'll see the 3-digit number there (with "CC" after it) begins with a "7."

Congrats. Pull this off and it'll be a screamer. (Plus one hell of a lot more comfortable than a 750 Seca with the "scoopy" seat.) And no goofy anti-dive.

4. ecologito

Isn't that just handy master Shifu, I just won an auction on the bay for stuff I thought I could use:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/300829758011?ss ... 1497.l2648

It sounds like I'm in for a fun ride, luckily I have my master. Hmm I guess one more thing to buy for this thing... this is the downfall or being a newbie, don't even know what I have here... hopefully the surprises are over and the "straight forward" procedures start jumping at me.

[​IMG]

5. bigfitz52

SOME of that stuff you CAN use, and is very valuable. I see a turn signal cancelling unit AND a TCI in the pile. Together, those two alone are worth over $200, even if you need to swap the TCI with one for a 750 Seca.

And I'm sure somebody will want to get their hands on the stuff you can't use.

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  6. ecologito

How much can I expect to "invest" on that TCI box?

7. bigfitz52

Oh golly. I just looked at your "pile of parts" again.

There are two brand new "650 Seca" badges in there.

You just made out like a bandit. This strike rivals my $20 NOS 150-mph speedo.

You have done well, Dragon Warrior. Well indeed. Even Master Fox will be impressed. (And jealous.)

8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Ok, I wasn't thinking about the relation to the footpegs.....I was assuming they were close to the same position. I was basing my recollection on the 750 engine that I pulled out of a 650 frame.....the pedal pads were at just about the same locations.

So Rick, now I made a mistake LOL

Eco...........see just how easy it to come up with a stash of parts? Keep at it and you'll be just like the rest of us in NO time flat.......and you'll hotrod your bike, develop new mods, etc..... all at the same time you're learning the bikes to begin with!

That's impressive.

Keep it up!

DAve F

9. ecologito

I spotted the TCI box and the 650 seca emblems which is what I had my eyes on. Hopefully I can do something with all the parts that I am acquiring lately, I know this restoration project is looking more like a FrankenCycle.

10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Jealous!?!? Nah.........proud.

I can't be jealous. I'm the one that has the xj900rk that has two 1st place trophies and is unrestored...........and is serial # 17.

:) See why I'm not jealous?!?!?! LOL

Dave

11. bigfitz52

Off eBay? Anything less than $100 would be a bargain. (I got my spare for $1.99 but it was mis-listed. For that kind of thing you really have to know what you're after.)

I'd be looking to trade a member; or sell the extra 650 one you just got to bankroll a replacement.

12. ecologito

Like I said I am learning about bikes but even more to search for parts all over.

I think I found a TCI on this bike:

http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/3488414410.html

Just wanna make sure that is the right bike. I am texting the guy right now, he wants $50 + shipping for it.

13. bigfitz52

The parts you can use become "stock." I have some old parts drawers from my typewriter repair days (when those businesses started to fold) and I have a virtual "parts store" to support my 550s and my Norton. Still building my 650 inventory.

The other parts are for trading or selling.

It's not a Frankencycle (well, ok, it is) but it's a "best of both worlds" upgrade. You get a 750 Seca motor in an easier-to-deal with (no Atari cluster, no Anti-dive, no square headlights, no adjustable cast handlebars, no "remote" cable-op master cylinder) package. Just a nice sensible bike with a much zootier motor.

A whole lot easier than de-Atari-ing a 750 Seca.

14. bigfitz52

BINGO!

Damn, Dragon Warrior, you're on a roll! That is indeed a 750 Seca, and if you can get the TCI for $50 you are truly making great strides.

I don't know what your plans are, exhaust-wise, but you might want to see what he wants for the exhaust system. You would need those headpipes and you can sell the collector box if it doesn't fit (the collector is different between the 650 and 750 Secas but I'm not sure exactly in what dimensions.) The mufflers on that bike are trash (rusted out, aftermarket.) You can point out the rust holes in the mufflers to get the price down; the headpipes are the actual prize here. And they look really clean.

15. ecologito

I would like to get the head pipes but I am gonna run out of my fun cash with all this "great finds" and need to either get another job, slow down with the XJ-Kungfu, or start selling stuff (like my restored 1930 Emerson fan).

We'll see how much he wants but the shipping might be the killer

16. youssarian

youssarian New Member

Eco, This is a good thread for me to follow. I have just acquired an XJ750 seca 3 days ago and in the same boat as you. I have been taking things slowly and reading as much as I can.

One other thing, even though I am not the one directly asking the questions, I really appreciate you guys. Hog and Big have been helping Eco throughout the whole thread (Went through the whole thread while waiting to pick up a friend lol). Thank you guys for being who you guys are!

17. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    Finally got a chance to get caught up.

So your building a sleeper.
    Actually, You are in the process of building a pseudo XJ750A. It was a 650R frame with the 750 engine. Only availabe in the Oceana Market (japan, New Zeland, OZ). You can see pics in this post. http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... rt=45.html

Here are a few bits that you will need to watch out for.

Engine:
    Both engines are solid mount. Your good to go there. No problems with bolting the replacement engine in the frame. You will want to use the engine covers from the original motor (prior noted shifter issue).

Carbs: The 750 carbs are jetted differently that the 650 carbs. You will need to rejet the carbs to work correctly with the new motor. If you can grab the carbs from that reno bike, or any other 750. All the better.

Exhaust:
    You can use the 750 headpipes, and collector. The problem will be the mufflers. Due to the mounting points on the mufflers. You will be limited to using the 650 mufflers. Otherwise the stock 650 exhaust will bolt to the 750 engine.

Major Note: Do not try to use 750 headpipes with a 650 collector. It will not work. There are slight differences in the head pipes, and collectors that require the headpipes, and collector to be used together.

Electrical:
    TCI: You will need to use a 750 TCI unit. This should start with the 5G2 prefix.
    Wiring Harness: With your choice of using the 700 gauges. Try to locate a wiring harness from a 85-86 XJ700 Maxim. This will simplify the issue of the fuse block being built into the guages, and directly step past the need to replace the original fuse block.

Turn Signals: Locate the front turn signal mounting bracket from one of the following.
    85-86 XJ700 Maxim/Maxim X
    84-88 XV700 Virago
    89-97 XV750 Virago
    84-99 XV1100 Virago

This will allow you to attach the turnsignals under the gauge cluster, and not have to rework the light bodies to mount onto the forks. The rear turn signals should replace the originals without any problems.

Your doing good. Keep up the good work.

Ghost

18. Frosty4232

Frosty4232 Member

Dude... Kick a**. I'm actually super pumped to see how this 650 to 750 swap goes. Hopefully my project goes as awesome as yours is right now. Mine will probably take a lot longer though.

19. youssarian

youssarian New Member

MiGhost, is there some guide out there that I can look up to see an interchangeability list for the XJ 750 Seca?

20. ecologito

Oh man... now TCI, and carbs... like I said this "simple" engine swapping is turning into "extreme makeover" xj edition.