1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

? about the factory paint on my Maxim wheels

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by streetmaster, Dec 20, 2009.

  1. streetmaster

    streetmaster Member

    Messages:
    228
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Anyone ever tried to remove the factory black paint thats on the wheels of the Maxim bikes.

    Would like to have an all aluminum looking wheel for my project, just dont want to try somthing thats going to mess up the wheel.
     
  2. kcoop99

    kcoop99 Member

    Messages:
    260
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    BFE, Nebraska
    I am curious about that myself. I dont see why it couldnt be done. Guess we will wait for someone to reply....
     
  3. streetmaster

    streetmaster Member

    Messages:
    228
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Yeah a lot of guys just paint them a different color to match the paint on the bike, but want the all aluminum look. :idea:
     
  4. wizard

    wizard Active Member

    Messages:
    5,282
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    DEVON ENGLAND
    Yam' polished the edges of the rims, but the rest of the ally might be a bit rough.
     
  5. TIMEtoRIDE

    TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

    Messages:
    4,686
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Clermont FL near Orlando
    Do NOT sand blast them. That will leave a bad finish and mess up the machined surfaces. Glass bead or some other media would work.
     
  6. streetmaster

    streetmaster Member

    Messages:
    228
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Yeah its probly not worth the effort.
     
  7. vintagerice

    vintagerice Member

    Messages:
    356
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    I just finished working on my rear rim. Spent countless hours on it. I sanded and sanded and sanded and polished the outer rim. Sanded over the old black paint. ( did not remove it all) the when it was smooth painted them gloss black. Lastly, I sanded off the black on the fins.

    I am pretty happy with the results. Will try to post a pic if I can ever find our camera. Damn thing keeps disappearing.

    Rob
     

Share This Page