1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Aftermarket Flashers

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Kevin Skorski, May 13, 2021.

1. Kevin Skorski

Kevin Skorski New Member

Hi,

I have an 82 yamaha maxim xj650 that is somewhat of a cafe racer. I just ordered some blinkers to set up and I'm curious what kind of issues may encounter.

I just ordered a cafe racer loop frame so that it can fit a cafe racer seat. The loop has an Led brake light and flashers installed. I've hear LEDs don't produce enough voltage for the flasher relay to work. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Also, the original flashers have 1 wire, whereas the aftermarket ones I just order for the front, have 2 wires. Is one a ground?

Any insight into hooking these up would be greatly appreciated since I am useless when it comes to electrical work.

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Welcome to XJbikes,

The OEM flasher requires two 27W bulbs to operate, so yes you will need to update to an electronic flasher. When you update to the electronic flasher you will lose the self cancelling feature unless you purchase the flasher unit from our supporting vendor, which is modified to work with the cancel unit, or add another relay as suggested in the thread below. If you choose to abandon the self cancelling feature you can get a two prong plug and play relay or a three prong relay, which requires modifying the harness by adding a return to make it work.

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/how-to-convert-to-leds-and-still-have-everything-work.14068/

Yes, some flasher assemblies used the metal mounting to pick up ground. If you have a close by black wire bullet connector you can tie in there, or just attach one of the wires to ground. Most LED's these days are bidirectional, but keep that in mind just in case you happen to purchase a polarized version then you need to pay attention to wiring polarity.

One other issue is once you change to LED flashers and you have the single turn signal indicator on the instrument cluster you must modify that wiring or you will have a hazard warning setup. To do that you can purchase a premade assembly in the link below and wiring instructions are included:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/metric-bike-diode-kit/1190/2805/

Kevin Skorski likes this.
  3. Kevin Skorski

Kevin Skorski New Member

Thank you for the info!

Also, do all four flashers need to be hooked up in order for them to function properly. In other words, could I plan on just setting up the front blinkers and expect them to work when the rear have not been set up yet?

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

left side work together so both should be installed for the oem style and proper wattage

led should work as both are feed from 1 wire on control but flash rate may change when you install second set a rear. the lights are hooked up in paralell to ground

5. Jonathan30193

Jonathan30193 New Member

So where does this get resistor get cut in at

6. XJ550H

if using oem relay the resistor gets put in on the load side of the relay.
    doing this makes for a 28 watt draw which defeats the basic reason of going leds which is to reduce load on alternator.
    you will want to find a led relay.

if you need the metric diode it goes in at the cluster connection super bright has an instruction for instalation on the web site
    [​IMG]

Jonathan30193 likes this.
  7. XJ550H

metric diode is used on clusters with single turn indicator light because the cluster light grounds through the unused blinker bulb
    so when turming right the indicator grounds through the left bulb filiment.

Jonathan30193 likes this.
  8. Jonathan30193

Jonathan30193 New Member

This is done on every signal correct...
    Also am I getting rid of oem relay and replacing it with 2 led relays in parallel with left and right sides ?