1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Aftermarket ignition

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by JPaganel, Apr 16, 2014.

1. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Pretty sure the carmo.nl replacement is working well now. No crazy stalls and after another sync and coloursync... power straight from the lights... almost like a real boy (bike even).
    So far so good.
    I did replace everything else, and I really mean EVERYTHING else, before this so... touch wood, I'm happy with the replacement.

Yammaat likes this.
  2. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

What I sense with this ignition is the direct response on the throttle and the expanded torque in combination with the replacement mufflers.
    Still have to do the sync after the mufflers were changed but it's too cold outside (no garage) now overhere. But runs great anyway so.. no hurry.

3. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Finally got the second 900 fitted with the carmo.nl replacement. Stumble at take off is just a bad memory now.
    Hope they last another 40 years... well actually, just as long as I'm capable would be good too.

4. Mark Wyzgala

Mark Wyzgala Member

Here's a link to Carmo's USA office. THey can test, repair or sell you a new TCI.
    www.carmousa.com

5. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

My OEM TCI is fine but considering getting a Carmo anyway. Is there a tangible improvement and secondly, I have a 4 into 1 exhaust system, is any modification/tune required? Thanks. Adrian

6. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  7. Klassiphyed

Klassiphyed New Member

Can anyone please clarify what it is EXACTLY that they have done to accomplish HEI installation with proper timing, at low cost and mediocre skill sets?! I have been searching forums from XJ, XS, Honda, Kawasaki. Looking at 15yr old post that give me a glimmer of hope that someone has fully, step by step, part by part explained how this is done, only to see that their diagrams are on websites that shut down while Dubbya was in office. I’ve seen the wiring diagrams and understand how to hook it up to my XJ650. But they are immediately followed by comments about possible diodes, capacitors, mechanical advance, vacuums, that may be needed But no one ever states fully what they have done! I get that this should probably be common knowledge but I am no where near the skill level that some of you folks are. I’ve really just recently started riding period. That being said I am the type of person who believes they can do anything that doesn’t require a specialized education or materials and tools that are unobtainable. As long as some one is willing to show me. Be it hands on or diagrams and writing. I may destroy everything else around me, but I will get it done. Please….guide me. I definitely need it