1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Amal monobloc question

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by adrian1, Mar 3, 2013.

1. XJPilot

XJPilot Member

Fitz, you never cease to make me jealous! Makes me want to get started on my Dommie but I just don't have the time or money right now :(

2. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Exactly 8) Glad to see someone else that can use a 15 thou feeler gauge as God intended haha

Best thing about points is, if/when you do ever get an ignition problem they're so easy to diagnose & cheap to repair. Worst that can really happen if you keep on top of adjustment is either blown condenser or slipped backplate and neither of those will leave you stranded, if you have a screwdriver and a points file you can at least get home 8) (heck if you've only got a key that fits the screw slot & an old bit of stone from beside the road you can get home, done that before on an MZ!)

Everybody in Brit bike circles raves about how good the boyer/lucas systems are but as you say, I've seen them fail w/o warning too and really if you set your original points up correctly in the first place then they offer no real improvement to starting or running.