1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

And so it begins.......

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Captainkirk, May 8, 2013.

1. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

2. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

Between BigFitz and Chacal, they called this one straight up! The O-rings on the OUTSIDE of both needle seats were hard as a rock and allowing fuel to bypass the needles and flood the bowls. Fortunately, I had a couple MS28775 o-rings on hand approximately the same size, and I've been patient enough! I slapped them in, hastily threw the bank back together and put the fuel to 'em. Not only did they NOT leak, but the wet-set levels were damn close...close enough for Mr. Impatience to throw the bank on the engine and roll it over.....SUCCESS!!!! After a bit of coaxing the li'l Banshee howled once again...(but not for long; low on oil so I shut it down). Granted, I'll have to get the right o-rings and replace all four, and then fine-tune the float heights, but hey...the Captain is one happy camper tonight! It won't be long now, folks!

3. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

It runs good!
    Still a tough start, though. Needs a shot of starting fluid to get it rolling, but once on line, it's rarin' to go! (up on the lift, anyway)
    On a more disparaging note, I can't believe that Castrol 4T Motorcycle oil is up to $5.99 a quart..... 8O
    Also, the start button seems to be misbehaving. Never did THAT before.
    But, not having run in (at least) three years, it sure is a good feeling to roll it over and have it light!

4. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

Seca gets new shoes!

THE OLD:

[​IMG]
    IMAG0379 by buellosaurusrex, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMAG0377 by buellosaurusrex, on Flickr

BAREFOOT:

[​IMG]
    IMAG0415 by buellosaurusrex, on Flickr

DOROTHY'S RUBY RED SLIPPERS:

[​IMG]
    IMAG0380 by buellosaurusrex, on Flickr

NEW FRONT:

[​IMG]
    IMAG0420 by buellosaurusrex, on Flickr

NEW REAR:

[​IMG]
    IMAG0419 by buellosaurusrex, on Flickr

"CLICK YOUR HEELS THREE TIMES AND SAY; "THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!"

[​IMG]
    IMAG0422 by buellosaurusrex, on Flickr

Much more aggressive tread and stickier compound...I'm hoping the new Shinko's will improve the handling as I am a fairly aggressive rider.

5. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

Oh yeah....forgot to mention; she lights with a touch of the starter button now! :D

6. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

I just had to.
    I really shouldn't have (how many times have we heard THAT line?) but I just couldn't resist.....
    She's been running so good on the lift, my prissy little bitch. So tonight, with a little time on my hands to kill, I started Putting Things Back On. Things like, Airbox boots; check. Air filter and side covers; check. Front fairing; check. Once around the block, says I....just to scrub in the new tires. It had just sprinkled but the roads were dry, and darkness was soon falling...so, once around the block we went. And then, another, longer circuit. This time I cracked the throttle just a bit more....and then the little bitch showed her claws....rrrrrrrrOOWWW! Sheeeeeeeeeit! The tach jumped right on up to 7 grand...I'd forgotten how fast this brazen little strumpet could rev! I pulled back into the drive with 9/10ths of a mile on the clock and a perma-grin on my face.. :D
    "I kept my promise, didn't I...you sassy little bitch"
    "So did I", she purred, and I thought about that little 7 grand promise of Fun Things to Come and rolled her back up on the lift grinning like the village idiot the whole time.
    I'm far from being finished, but now it's all clear again why I started in the first place!

7. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Member

I shouldn't have yesterday, and I shouldn't have today either, plate being expired and all...but I took her around the block a couple times after dinner despite the gloomy, overcast skies that looked ready to split wide-open any second. Enough to make make me realize the chain was loosy-goosy (which was quickly remedied) and the fact that it's been waaaaaaaay too long since I elbowed this little tramp in the ribs. She wants to run...I can feel it. I'll have to run down to the DMV and get new plates, and soon. I can't tell who wants to ride more; me or the li'l banshee! It won't be long now 'til she's back on the road, all legal-like and etc. I still have a rather large laundry list of Things To Do including replacing those carb o-rings, adjusting the valves and replacing the cam cover gasket, final wet-setting float height, carb sync and Color Tune, oil change and replace filter cover seals, replace shifter and foot peg rubbers, replace clutch lever bearing......whew! If I waited for all that, I'd never get it on the road this year. And I mean to rack up a few miles regardless, because sitting is what brought us to this point in the first place. Ride now; wrench later. That's the payment plan I'm on! :D

8. mcamaj

mcamaj New Member

What size are the wheels you got?