1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Anybody have recommendations for a slip-on exhaust?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by dolgo, Nov 25, 2022.

1. dolgo

dolgo New Member

Hello! I'm new around here as just this week I've purchased a 1982 XJ650J. I'm the second owner, but owner one was a knucklehead and took a Sawzall to the exhaust so it has no mufflers. I don't have a good picture but they're chopped off right around the foot pegs.
    I'm hoping to put an aftermarket exhaust on it with a decent sound to it, but one that's fairly quiet. If anybody has any recommendations I'd greatly appreciate it!

Attached Files:

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

If you’re considering a new exhaust, I would rebuild all the OEM Yamaha stuff from the head to where the silencers are mounted.
    The silencers are what rot out, there are hundreds of discussions on this forum recommending silencers. See which come up used for sale.
    What I like about the Yamaha OEM exhaust system is the big rubber isolated mounting point at the bottom of the motor. This helps to stiffen up the bike. Aftermarket exhausts will eliminate this mount and sometimes foul with the centre stand.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    Fuller56 and dolgo like this.
  3. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Amazon.com: Emgo Turn-out Style Universal Muffler 80-62620 : Automotive

I had an XJ650RJ for about 20 years that something similar (likely the same thing) when I bought it. They lasted well sounding the same 40k miles later, and were not loud, maybe a tiny bit more than stock, but not much at all. They clamped on the pipes in the same position as the factory pipes did. Just my $.02.

DarbyC and dolgo like this.
  4. Antothoro

Antothoro Member

I'll sub

dolgo likes this.
  5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

The 650 Maxim exhaust does not have slip-on mufflers. The four pipes come down to four receivers….. two receivers go to the left side, two go to the right. From that point, each side is a single complete unit from the two receives all the way to the end of the muffler. There is a single slip-joint cross-over pipe.