1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Anyone use Emgo shocks?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Uxbridge Brule, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

I'm starting to gather parts for a refresh and need shocks Progressive are a bit rich has anyone used these
    https://fortnine.ca/en/emgo-classic-shocks
    I'm 220lbs take the wife on the back 50% of the time and cruse more than drag knee. The bike is an 83 750.
    Any help with suggestions
    Thanks
    Ian

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I have these on my yellow seca, seem just fine and price was not to bad either .

3. Uxbridge Brule

Thanks for the reply I will put an order in next payday. On to the next problem now bought a led tail lamp thought I bought an incandescent and have to figure out how to wire it. The search for info continues.

4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Be aware the led has a different the watt load is different and if you still have the atari your tail light may show on the idicator .

5. Uxbridge Brule

Mine is an 83 750 no Atari but original tail light had 5 wires 2 blue 2 yellow and a ground the led only has 3.

6. Xj550newbie

Xj550newbie New Member

I put take offs from a 2014 Harley Street Glide, found them on facebook for $60, only had 3k miles on them. I had to drill the holes slightly bigger but they fit just fine and added half an inch to the ride height. I'm about 250 pounds, I run them at 5 psi and they feel amazing. I've done 4k miles so far this year with no issues. If your wife is going to be riding with you maybe look into air shocks like these. That way you can adjust when she's riding with you and when you ride alone. 20210607_004442_0111.jpg

Dave in Ireland likes this.
  7. Uxbridge Brule

Xj550newbie your bike looks nice do those shocks need an on board compressor or just a tire pump? And did you have to drill out top and bottom holes?

8. Xj550newbie

Xj550newbie New Member

I use just a handheld bike pump that fits in my back pack. I can't remember if I had to drill out the top and bottom but I definitely had to take some meat off one of them. I only drilled the metal part of the bushing though, I didn't need to get down to the rubber part. 20210628_093839.jpg

9. Uxbridge Brule

Nice, now I have to actually think something to think about. Buy the emgo and be done with it or track down and fit harley shocks at half the price.... man I hate decisions

10. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Thoroughly seconded, that idea.
    Harley take-off air shocks are the bee's knees.
    Those pirates don't know what they've got and they throw them away, because aftermarket is always better / more expensive / glitzier and more of a pose, innit.
    I've been using Showa air shocks (for that's what they are) for decades (my first set came off a Kwak GT750) but unfortunately a vicious pothole killed one of them. The replacements came from an HD, and I've got another set to fit to my XS650 soon.
    They last for many many thousands of miles (literally hundreds of thousands) and at the merest simple adjustment of air pressure you can dial in for the day what you want to bike to handle like. Anything from mushy tourer to sharp bend carver.

Rodney Watson likes this.