1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Aussie XJers

Discussion in 'Other' started by brenton, May 9, 2006.

1. mrblackstock

mrblackstock Member

In reference to my earlier post, I have decided to shorten my trip. only going as far as warnambool, then heading up to halls gap, and returning to geelong from there. same offer applies as above...

I talked to a few other riders and they vouched that warnambool to adelaide is duller than an in-laws slide night.

cheers.

2. railtrolley

railtrolley Member

Hello from Mt Evelyn, near Lilydale, at the foot of the Reefton and Black spurs.

I see many bikes heading past for the traditional Sunday fang over the 2 spurs. Hopefully I will be going too, sometime.

Dismantled the forks today, to renew the leaking seals, and found that the springs are sagged. The PO has put in some 20mm spacers. So I might as well put in some new springs while the forks are apart.

3. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Duller than the inlaws slide night ???? That depends on which way you go .... Nhil, Murrayville, Pinnaroo, take your pick from there. See some of what that dry, low country is like. Take some dirt/gravel roads, my 750 copes with the terrain out there, just take it easy. I know it`s a dry, hard ,slower way to go to Adelaide but i reckon its worth the time. Its beautiful out there.

4. Screamin_TE

Screamin_TE New Member

Hi All,
    Just found this site today.

Bought an 81 XJ750 on the weekend. Needs a bit of work, seems the engine or transmission is locked up. Also needs a new clutch basket(oops).

I'm located in Newcastle, NSW.

Cheers,
    Chris

5. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Gotta love the names of the places in your part of the world. I live in Washington State in the far NW corner of the country. I'll be the first to admit we have some interestingly named places of our own. Mostly Native American names like Humptulips, Puyallup, Sequim(sounds like Skwim), Saanich and the list goes on.

Keep 'em coming guys!

6. mick1098

mick1098 New Member

hi all ,live at Bexhill NNSW ,1980 xj 650 ,anyone close bye with a good tci unit i can buy

7. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Hiya,
    Just picked up a well used XJ750P 1985 (same as rockerto although I don't have the rear paniers :(, so I'm keeping an eye on his progress!) with a few bits and pieces. Hoping to restore it close to police original over the next year or so.
    Perth, Western Australia.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    Now
    [​IMG]

8. non_quotidiun

non_quotidiun Member

Hi all,
    Ive already got stacks of great tips off this site. Brilliant work.
    I'm in SW West Australia, near Pemberton. Karri country! Closest I could find over here to the mountain ash forests over East.
    1984 XJ 900.

9. knuts2a

knuts2a Member

Another 84 XJ900, interested to see some pic's of the bike when you get a chance.

10. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Welcome,... non-quotidiun.....not enough time during the day? I think.
    Mountain ash or Karri, both damn good trees.

11. non_quotidiun

non_quotidiun Member

Hi Bushy, knuts2a and all the other Aussie XJBIkes members
    Working night shift on an offshore oil rig. Depending on operations things out here are either flat stick or stopped.
    A bit like my riding style used to be before I wised up!
    Ploughing an 83 XJ900 into a Ford at 100 odd km wised me up.
    I've now got an '84 XJ900, always loved the handling of the XJs on the open road, doing 10 hrs riding in a day is no problems. The 84s also have that frame mounted fairing, looks sooo nice, (also seems to cancel out the tank slapper the 83 would get at about 180 km/hr!). Just getting her up and running properly again after a little ol lady run into the side of me up in Perth.
    It's taken a while, and I've still got a bit to do, I'll post some piccies when I get back home in a few weeks.

12. knuts2a

knuts2a Member

Gee it's a bugger when work interferes with the riding, and you can't even ride to work! Hmm bike meets car, that'll do it every time. Love the looks of 84, met all the things on the shopping list, full fairing, shaft drive(had enough of messy chains), 4into1, gear rack, resonable nic' and good price ($2500 with 6months rego) over 99,000k's now. Did 2X5hrs last week end, bum was ready for home after 3! Need to eat more Big Mac's to put on some padding.There was a Tassie Far Ride last friday, http://www.farriders.com/ 1,000Km's in 24Hrs that a couple from here (Mildura) went on, too much riding for me at once. Can't wait for the Pic's.

13. non_quotidiun

non_quotidiun Member

Hi knuts2a,
    Is that fairing stock ? Looks like it is from your' avatar photo. I reckon that really rounds out the classy looks of the 84. Mine has no belly pan or side panels to the fairing. I've often considered making some up out of fibreglass. Maybe one of these days...

14. FABFABINC

FABFABINC Member

Nicest fairing xj I've seen so far I like it

15. knuts2a

knuts2a Member

I always assumed it was original but closer looks it may not be, it has some moulded bits where you would have expected the mounting screws to go but these are blank and don't line up with the frame mountings, i also found it has some dark blue underneath red. It fits ok except for cracking around the 4into1 and matches up with the top fairing and looks the same shape as the belly pan fairing only higher. Oh, and it is fibreglass while the top one is plastic. Haven't found any other XJ900's here to compare with. Will get some closeup pic's.

16. SkeetaGrimshaw

SkeetaGrimshaw Member

Hi everyone
    Another late comer.

Live in Grafton, NSW.
    I own a 1984 XJ900 that's been off the road for 2 years, but I'm hoping to get it going again soon. Really miss the old beast.

17. knuts2a

knuts2a Member

Hi Skeeta,
    welcome to the group, i see yours is the same colour scheme as mine, good choice! Anything you need to know the guys here are really helpfull, even when you ask dumb questions like i do..

18. SkeetaGrimshaw

SkeetaGrimshaw Member

Hi Knuts2a
    Thanks for the welcome. I like the colour scheme - only one available from the bike dealer (ha ha). Sadly, no belly pan on mine.
    Had a look at your gallery - good looking machine. I see you've made a few interesting mods.
    I'm currently chasing down a persistent engine misfire. Have found some good bits of info on this site. Lots of clever XJ owners whose brains I can pick.
    Happy riding!

19. ol_750

ol_750 Member

Hi Skeeta
    Welcome aboard
    I had a similar problem with one of my XJ's & I replaced the TDI unit & was all solved.
    Theres a guy in NZ that makes an awesome aftermarket unit & sells them on Ebay.
    Cheers Andrew

20. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

oops deleted