1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Be The Bunny! Safe riding and motorcycle survival thread

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by bigfitz52, Jul 25, 2008.

1. greggvickrey

greggvickrey Member

Re: Be The Bunny! Safe riding and motorcycle survival threa

Excellent bump Fitz, thanks. There was a post about the center of the lane being oily & slick when it rains, well take my word for it it aint jsut when it rains. The other night I was out for a ride, alittle dark out, stopped at a stop light, put my left foot down right in the middle of a small puddle of anti freeze I think. I like to busted my ash. It was all I could do to get that foot to stop sliding & keep the bike up. Just a tip, it is slick sometimes with no rain.

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Hey guys, WHOA! I was just trying to make a point about certain issues relating to non-alcohol causes of accidents (which are probably far more common than alcohol-related):

Also, although the wording is a bit vague, "alcohol involvement" may have IMPAIRED THE RIDER'S: judgement, vision, reflexes, abilities, etc., the alcohol itself (unless they pickeled their livers) was not the "cause" of the fatality. It's what the alcohol did (maybe) to the person that makes is a contributing factor; the primary cause of an alcohol-related accident can still be a low-side, high-side, locking the rear wheel, running a red light, other-driver-negligence, rear-ending a vehicle or being rear-ended, etc.

Just like when alcohol is not involved.

Although I hope it never happens to anyone, just imagine that you're driving down the road, and come across an accident scene involving a motorcycle fatality: was alcohol involved? Might a well toss a coin to make a guess, because 50% of the fatalities are NON-alcohol related.

Again, my point isn't to down-play the risks of impairment due to alcohol consumption before doing ANYTHING dangerous or risky, it's to rather point out that the RISKS associated with an inherently dangerous activity----like riding a motorcycle, especially in populated areas----can be vastly under-estimated by most people, and the statement that "50% of fatalities are alcohol-related" allows a certain sense of FALSE SECURITY to creep in amongst people.

I think that the false sense of security is the greater/greatest danger to most riders.........that's my point, sorry if I was un-clear!

And Artie, not to be argumentative, and again-----don't drink and drive!----but in the game of chance (will I die in a motorcycle accident?), the statistics say that whether you drink or don't drink MAKES NO DIFFERENCE as to whether you will become a fatality----that's what the raw numbers say. I realize that "common sense" (misnomer?) says "don't drink and drive, you'll be safer". THE NUMBERS TELL A DIFFERENT STORY, and I believe one of the main reasons is because people under-estimate, by a huge degree, the inherent risks in certain activities (biking, in this case) by a whopping margin, and that under-estimation can be a killer, too.

3. Galamb

Galamb Member

Everybody should read this thread before taking their bike out the first week, after that long winter break. Starting with page 1 till the end. It takes a few days to feel good and safe back in the saddle again. Started riding at 15 but after 53 yrs still take that first week cautiously.

4. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

chacal

Well, maybe I just can't hold my alcohol (which makes sense since I barely was ever a drinker and quit completely more years ago than I can remember) but I know I would be at much greater risk of an accident if I drove with any alcohol impairment whether in a vehicle or a motorcycle. So it would make a great difference for me.

I understand your points, and the math behind statistics, and agree generally with what you say. But statistics are funny things. You can show a statistical correlation between the use of air conditioners and hot days, but those statistics don't say if hot days cause the use of air conditioners or the use of air conditioners causes hot days. You apply judgement to determine cause and effect.

And for me, there would be a definite increase in my vunerability to an accident and probably a fatal one because I would be impaired in judgement, reaction time, skills, and probably would push envelopes or ignore envelopes I otherwise wouldn't.

Think of my comments as less of a counterpoint and more of a "friendly addition" to the debate.

I don't want to hijack this thread or distract from other good points so I'll halt my discussion on this particular sub-thread with this post.

Oh, and I know you weren't trying to promote drinking and driving...I never had that impression.

5. hurst01

hurst01 Member

I am going to throw my 2 cents in here. Probably before I was born, my Dad told me that he used to ride motorcycles. I remember him telling me that one of the quickest ways you could sober up was get on a motorcycle with the wind blowing in your face.
    This is the aptitude of someone justifying drinking and driving. It may make you THINK that you are sobering up, but in reality you are possibly causing an undue mishap or fatality. If the statistics show that 50% of all motorcycle fatalities are alcohol related, then that means to me that 50% of fatalities MAY NOT have happened if they had been sober in stead of intoxicated. By being intoxicated the rider has a false sense of his skill or abilities, when in reality he has his reflexes and judgment impaired to a degree that he feels he is as safe as anyone else.
    Do people think that motorcycling is dangerous? Yes it is. There are enough dangers facing the motorcycle rider when they are sober. Another way to look at it is that by not drinking while riding INCREASES your chances of NOT being in a fatal accident by 50%.
    We have all heard the saying that friends don't let friends drive drunk. I hate being around a drunk. I used to drink a big time. My wife told me that she would never marry a person that drank. I told her that I would quit and I did. She meant more to me than a drink. It amazes me that some really nice guys want to fight when drunk. Rather than argue with an intoxicated rider, there is a simple solution.
    I am sure that every one on here has seen a carpenters pencil. They are flat and about 1/2" wide. You can take the spark plug boot off and with a carpenters pencil, draw a line from the metal tip of the plug to the base of the plug and reinstall the spark plug wire boot. The lead in a carpenters pencil is a much softer graphite than in a typical lead pencil. It will ground the spark for the plug and the bike will not start. It is a simple matter to take your thumb and wipe the graphite from the plug and the bike will then start. This will not hurt the ignition system, but it could save a life.
    We can all quote statistics all day. The fact is that by driving alcohol impaired, you are putting us all at risk.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thank you. Exactly why I "bumped" it back onto everyone's radar. I've been riding on the street ever since I got my license at 16, but still feel "rusty" for a week or two every spring.

I recommend at least one or two "shakedown runs" (if possible) before tackling heavy (freeway) traffic again. Got to get all the senses back on line before pushing them to 110%.

7. Metmop

Metmop Member

Just to throw my 2 cents in... As far as statistics are concerned I would probably agree with those.... the one thing that those statistics don't really show is the % of people who drive while under the influence... since none of the other risks change. It all averages out in other words... I would hazard to guess (WAG TIME... or wild a#Q guess) that at any given time 90% of the motorcycle riders are sober, at certain times of day this changes (like at closing time for the local bars) but statistically if you average it out through out the days and weeks and even the hours of the day. 90% of the drivers are sober, but that 10% is involved in 50% of the fatal accidents. I think that puts that in proper perspective. Or if you don't want to do the time averaging. (for those of you that drink and ride) compare the amount of time (miles) that you ride sober compared to ride drunk, toss in the number of people that don't drink and drive at all and you will see that my guess of 90% is probably accurate.... maybe even on the low side... I think this demonstrates how alcohol increases your chance to get killed... I think of it this way....

I have done my share of drinking, I have never noticed a decrease in reaction time... (I know there is one, but never noticed it while intoxicated) I have noticed that when I get intoxicated I lose my balance and stumble etc... while in a cage this doesn't matter on a bike one of the key skiils neccesary is balance.... while not as bad as when intoxicated I am sure 1 drink can effect my balance (just not as bad) therefore drunk driving on a bike is suicide.... (and I am not proud to admit it but I have done it....) I quit all drinking a few years ago.... I found that I have a allergy to alcohol... when I drink I have a tendancy to break out in a rash.... a rash of handcuffs.

Ron

8. xulf13

xulf13 Member

I'm still a noob when it comes to riding. I hope to enjoy this for as long as some of you here. One thing I still have in my Bathroom reading collection ( i don't know what you have, but a lot of people read on the toilet) is a copy of my motorcycle rider safety book. I read it at least once a week. I used to think that people that reved their bikes at stop lights were just showing off. Maybe some are. But it calls attention "I'M HERE", BEHIND YOU, NEXT TO YOU< ACROSS FROM YOU...etc. I try remembering to do that every now and then. Not furiously of course. I have a black jacket, black helmet and black gloves. I am surely going to add some reflective tape on my helmet this weekend. and be in search for another jacket ASAP.

9. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

NY state law requires 4 square inches of reflective material on the helmet.

10. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Really. That is way cool, do they specify WHERE? You could get to 4 sq/in with a thin stripe if it wrapped around, but it's still a good idea.

I assume that means you also have a law REQUIRING helmets, also a good idea since there are apparently still people on the planet DUMB enough to ride without one.

My Tourmaster jacket is black but it has reflective stripes/panels all over it.

11. midnightblu

midnightblu Member

xulf : "I used to think that people that reved their bikes at stop lights were just showing off. "

i am guilty of both showing off and calling atention if it were legal i would have my entire bike chrome. there are lots of idiots that drift across the dotted line and regularly ignore your presence on the road.... i have been seen riding the right side of the lane next to the dotted line right next to a car that was just drifting into me .... drop a gear or two to drown out their cell phone conversation that they were more into then preventing killing another driver.... so your asking your self what are you thinking midnight? the look on their face explains it all they have this overy exaggerated (WTF) look on their face and move to the other side of their lane. especially if your headig down into a corner side by side.... i have been also seen getting off the bike at a stop and chewing butt of another driver .... i dont like the idea that these people go around oblivious to bikes and nobody ever makes an impression on them.

12. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

With respect to the reflective material...Cycle Gear sells what they call a Helmet Halo.

http://www.cyclegear.com (search on helmet halo)

Adds a lot of visibility to your helmet at night. I don't have one...just saw it for the first time last night. Will probably get one.

13. tumbleweed_biff

tumbleweed_biff Active Member

That would be a PITA for me, I have a modular helmet ...

I am thinking about putting a number of LEDs on my bike running on a separate 10A circuit.

There is also a blade shaped stick-on light for helmets that I am probably going to get.

14. tumbleweed_biff

tumbleweed_biff Active Member

I have fantasies of carrying a paintball gun loaded with quick dry enamel florescent pink paint ... not just for the motorcycle, but a mounted on on the car too.

15. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

I miss informed you I looked it up and this is what my manual said.

"All motorcycle operators and passengers must wear approved motorcycle helmets as defined by USDOT federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS 218). To improve the motorcyclist's visibility, we recommend that helmets have at least four square inches of reflective material on both sides."

Still a good idea.

16. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Chacal my friend, I think you might have mis-understood the statistic. 50% of fatal accidents involve alchohol. It appears that you are assuming that the alchohol was consumed by the rider. From what I take from the study you quoted is that alcohol was involve by either the rider or the driver of the other vehicle.

If a car driver is impaired they may not make safe turns, lane changes, etc but if the rider is stone cold sober they might stand a chance of avoiding the accident.

Conversely, if the rider is impaired then the chances of being able to avoid an idiot move by a driver, impaired or sober, would be significantly lowered.

It would seem that the rate of injury/death for riders would go up significantly after cosuming intoxicants.

17. hurst01

hurst01 Member

midnightblu,

. "i have been also seen getting off the bike at a stop and chewing butt of another driver."

Not a good idea, my friend. We had a guy locally that got off his bike to chew a woman out for riding his rear, She shot him in the chest with a .38.
    NEVER a good idea to confront someone like that. You might wind up meeting someone more weird than you. :lol:

18. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Amen, hurst01. I'm a LOT more mobile on my bike than off it. A bike will lose against a cage, any cage, if push comes to shove (like getting shoved into cross traffic when you step off at a light). "Fight or flight" is a strong natural drive.

Disengage, cool off, move on with life.

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  19. Andy04180

Andy04180 Member

Since i started riding ( past week ) after my injury, i have had 1 person try to share my lane with me. ( Was riding in far left side of my lane, preparing to make a left turn with my 7 yr old on the back. Then 2 days later, a lady pulls out infront of me as I turn onto my street.

I wear a WHITE Scorpion EXO ( Camelon paint ) and my Icon Mil Spec vest ( Active duty requirements ) So i am pretty sure they can see my Neon Yellow! I never ride without my vest.

Buddy of mine ( also in the military ) rides about the same way, he keep s a 2 ft piece of rebar in the "blivit " of his R1.. ( Basically the blivit is about 2- 2liter bottles length and size, custom built, Looks sick. )

20. lorne317

lorne317 Member

I just received my Joe Rocket gear today.I got a decent deal on e-bay for a Meteor 6.0 jacket and Ballistic 7.0 pants.They seem very well made.Anybody else ride with Joe Rocket?