1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Beginner restoration of a 82 XJ550 Maxim

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Mancub, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The T bar connector the fuel line goes onto has O rings to prevent fuel leaking which are not visible with the carburettors assembled. Unfortunately the carburettors have to be split from the mounting rails to replace them.

2. Mancub

Mancub Member

Yeah I have the carbs all the way into pieces, cleaned and was in reassembly doing the wet setting and putting those fuel line connectors in when I found the T was leaking. When I had it apart I could see ridges but there were no O rings that would come off like the pieces between the other carbs.

I just need something to seal that, I’ve got them all apart so it would be easy. Maybe I can find an O ring at the hardware store I can just put on there?

3. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Some of the tees are rubber coated steal with ridges that acted as o-rings. Some tees had just o-rings. Get a new tee with o-rings. Do it right do it once.

chacal and Franz like this.
  4. Mancub

Mancub Member

Lostboy thats what it is, steal T rubber coated so those act like ridges, but yeah they aren't doing so great haha

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

600 fuel tee and it has orings , Len sells those too.

6. Mancub

Mancub Member

Hey guys I'm going to be putting the carbs back on and trying to get things to run now with what I think was the issue with the flooding fixed. I'm remembering how terrible the airbox experience is, I also think longterm I'll be pulling the airbox to clean things up. What would you guys suggest for this 82 xj550 in this area? I know Pods are options, just curious what you guys would suggest before I do anything.

7. Xj550newbie

Xj550newbie New Member

If you need parts for anything I've had a really good experience with Oldbikebarn