1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Best place to buy parts

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jake750, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Jake750

Jake750 Member

New member here. Just picked up an 86' radian 600. Something I have noticed is that the part availability is SCARCE. I rebuilt a 78' cb750f recently and literally every oem part along with a massive selection of aftermarket goodies was available on a variety on different sites. When I google parts for my radian very little comes up unless I search for the specific part number, and even then alot of the time its a used part from ebay.

Anyone one know of a good site for parts and things like engine rebuild gasket kits so I dont have to buy each gasket individually? Is there a website similar to vintageSOHC4 except for yx's and xj's?

Thanks Guys, and looking forward to joining this awesome community!

2. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Click the "xj4ever" icon in the top right, and browse the awesome catalog of XJ parts!

3. dkavanagh

questions or ordering requires starting a conversation with the user "Chacal". Click "inbox", then "start a new conversation"

4. dkavanagh

There are other options like yamaha dealers and ebay. I find XJ4ever is an excellent source of parts and information though. Very fast service.

5. Jake750

Jake750 Member

Another thing I have to deal with is compatibility between my radian 600 and the xj model parts. I know that the radian is essentially a "parts bin" bike and a lot of the parts are interchangeable but identifying compatibility has already been very annoying. There's a decent selection for xj's but I havnt found a radian specific site yet.

6. Jake750

Jake750 Member

yea nevermind. I just checked out the XJ4ever site and it does a really good job of identifying which parts are compatible with the radian 600.

7. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Don't depend on ebay or amazon...I have been burned more than once with parts that were supposed to fit my xj550. XJ4ever is the place for parts.

k-moe likes this.
  8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

try
    www.partzilla.com

you can look up your bike then the parts click on the part number and it will tell you what other bikes use that part. very good for cross fitment

9. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

XJ550 Maxim frame, nice box swing arm, early FJ600/FZ600 motor, BS30 carbs, tiny fuel tank, odd ball wheels and instruments - that's about it right?

10. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yeppers. Quintessential Yamaha "parts room" engineering, one of the more extreme examples. Except that swing arm is a bit of a "poser." If compared side-by-side with a swing arm from a 550 Seca, it's clear that the older, round-tube Seca arm while not as sexy appearing, is the better piece. (Bean counters again, I'm sure...) I had originally planned a swap but quashed the idea when I studied the two closely. The box-section arm is clearly primarily a cost-reduction measure.

The Radian's a neat bike though; I just wished they'd used the Seca frame. Most valuable aspect of it is how it confirms certain interchangeability, your bike being a good example.

The Radian is still an XJ however; "unique" in spots but otherwise it's still an XJ.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  11. Jake750

Jake750 Member

The tiny wheels stick out the most to me. I think they're both 16inches? It kind of feels like the bike has what ever the opposite of torque steer is. Keeping the wheel strait when turning at low speeds requires more effort than I'm used to. It may also be due to the bike currently doesn't have a front fender or fork brace.

12. bigfitz52

13. Jake750

Jake750 Member

Whoaaa. Thank you bigfitz. I'll check out the drum break. Your profile says you live in south east Michigan. I'm in Royal Oak! Where are you from??

14. bigfitz52

Yep, 16" at both ends. And there was a fork brace as part of the stock front fender, as there is on virtually all of the older XJs. On the Radian, it was just more overt.

15. bigfitz52

I'm up in Capac, just into St. Clair County about 8 miles east of M-53/Van Dyke. And please look at your brake right away. I wrote that piece right after I got my '83 with 7100 miles on it, and went to replace the rear tire. And I'd been riding it! Not slowly! Still gives me pause when I think about what could have happened at 90-ish mph.

Tip: if you follow the procedure in the book, you'll maintain chain adjustment and rear wheel alignment and the wheel slides right out...

Jake750 likes this.