1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bore sizes

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Hamish Brown, Jan 10, 2019.

1. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Well, that makes sense, but actually Yamaha specifies it being done in the same manner (inside , working your way outwards), so I'm wondering where you are getting this info from? I would follow the Yamaha proscribed sequence, as they are quick to point out that you MUST follow the factory procedure, values, and tightening sequence when installing your cylinder head, as: THE #1 CAUSE OF CYLINDER HEAD GASKET FAILURE AND HEAD WARPAGE IS DUE TO IMPROPER HEAD INSTALLATION PROCEDURES!

Franz likes this.
  2. daphnebroon

daphnebroon New Member

Thanks as ever, here is the manual I am using and the picture of the sequence in it. I will go on the premise that Yamaha and you guys know more about Yamaha engines than me and proceed with the advice and follow sequence below
    upload_2020-8-12_17-54-5.png upload_2020-8-12_17-54-36.png

3. chacal

Wow, you are correct daphnebroon, and I think that diagram is NOT correct, it is completely opposite from ALL of the other XJ/XS engines, which do indeed follow the "inside-out" sequence. Even the FJ600 manuals (which is basically a 550cc engine with larger jugs) show the inside-out sequence...........

Hmm......I'll change my opinion and say to use the inside-out sequence rather than what the Yamaha service manual shows!

ALSO:

Note that the 12 cylinder head-to-crankcase stud nuts are torqued before the head-to-jugs nuts are torqued. The typical sequence (all except the XJ700-X water-cooled engines) is:

1) the CYLINDER HEAD NUTS, center outwards in criss-cross pattern
    2) the REAR STUD NUT(S) on the cam chain tunnel.
    3) the two M8-SIZED REAR STUD NUTS (these are the fasteners just inside of the #1 and #4 intake ports on engines that use them…these are typically only used on “YICS” engines)
    4) the FRONT STUD NUT(S) on the cam chain tunnel.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    k-moe likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Another mislabled photo appears to have been found.
    How many errors are we up to now in the various service manuals? 20?

5. chacal

You're missing a zero............

k-moe likes this.
  6. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Hmmm, that would be for removal?? Ie removal and refitting are reversed sequence - are you sure you're not misreading it?

7. chacal

Minimutly is absolutely correct...........the image shown above is the REMOVAL sequence, and the install sequence is the inside-out sequence.

8. daphnebroon

daphnebroon New Member

Yes, I dismantled in this sequence but I can assure you the diagram is in the re assemble section of the manual.
    Luckily I asked you guys to confirm my instinct. I guess the manual writers just copied the dismantle procedure picture into the reassemble part.
    Anyhow I have torqued head down inside to out as everyone agrees this is the correct procedure.
    Thanks all once again.