1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

brake lines, Rubber or Stainless braided steel

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by nirrozero, Feb 2, 2011.

1. schnarr

schnarr Member

i had to get customs due to the over haul of the crap ass existing braking system provided by yamaha.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/

was the place don't worry about clocking because you buy your length of hose and buy your ends they screw together making fine adjustments with clocking easy!

my lines were 105 shipped to ontario canada, thats crush washers banjo bolts and everything.

best upgrade i did to my bike was the braking system.

2. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

I went and overhauled my 750J front brakes . Did the master cylinder, pads, lines, the whole 9 yards. The difference was incredible.

And, of course, I documented the experience here.

3. MaxFly

MaxFly New Member

Thanks for the link. I haven't installed the lines yet so it will be a great help. Where is a good sorce to get a Mityvac - sounds like the tool to use.

4. wrxg33k

wrxg33k Member

+1 for Z1 Enterprises.

I recently got a rebuild kits for my MC, SS brake lines, double banjo (eliminated the splitter to the dual discs), and crush washers for around $115. The difference is incredible!

5. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Chacal stocks them. :)

I'm starting to see a trend here...

6. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

I have heard alot about this upgarde and have emailed rennsportautoparts dot com to get some information about pricing etc..

7. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Hey guys
    I went with rennsportautoparts for my purchase. I got the set for my 85 XJ750XN Maxim-X, here's what it cost to get it to my door:

Merchant
    Raymond Chan
    sales@rennsportautoparts.com
    Note from merchant
    The merchant hasn't sent a note.
    Description Unit price Qty Amount
    85 XJ750, SS Brake Lines Set
    Item # $65.00 1 $65.00
    Subtotal $65.00
    Shipping and handling $12.00
    Tax $10.01
    Total $87.01 CAD

Well packed and all new bolts and crush washers, I'll go out to the garage later and take a picture of the kit.

8. rcracerguy

rcracerguy Member

I would like to order some of these. I wondered if I could get help figuring out what I need. I have a 82 xj650 maxim with the master cylinder that comes out the front. Everything else is stock.

9. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

10. rcracerguy

rcracerguy Member

ended up ordering venhill lines off of ebay. They have swivel ends on them.

11. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

I agree with fitz, plus rubber hoses rot and crack braded hoses will last the life of the bike if not longer.

12. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

Wound up picking up a set of stainless steel from rennsport... guy was friendly enough and helpful enough.... BUT

It took 3+ weeks in shipping to get here....

when it did arrive it didn't come w/ all that it was supposed to.....

their customer service guy that I dealt with after ordering was as useful as a dehumidifier in new mexico.

But I'm very happy w/ their brake lines... clean, black, chrome ends, exact length requested.... Pretty much a guy w/ a roll of line and the ability to crimp ends, but for 21 bux a piece I didn't complain

13. marshallnoise

marshallnoise Member

So according to their site, each line comes with the necessary hardware. I like the idea for sure.

Just go out to the bike, pull off the old lines, order the new ones and slap them on?

I just got my bike on the road and holy crap this bike has crappy brakes compared to my old YZF600R. It goes like stink but stops like it too!

14. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

When I got mine it came w/ new bolts, brass washers, lines, a sticker, and a bike cover for 9 bux, that's actually pretty guud, I went w/ an XL for my bike and I'm glad I did, rather have it sloppy then too small.

Pulled the lines off and let the new ones sit in the sun for awhile to get the round out of them from shipping. Front was pretty cake, rear was too though it was a tighter spot and was harder to bleed, or not harder just more uncomfortable due to the spot of it. Did my brakes at the same time but that isnt' necessary. make sure you got plenty of brake fluid handy and not old stuff. brake fluid is hydroscopic meaning it absorbs water and that's no joke.... better to buy a fresh bottle for a major job like this. Keep the resevoir filled while bleeding

15. LayItDown

LayItDown Member

whoa dead thread! for those of you who a running a single brake line up front what length are you using? im going to get one stainless hose for the whole thing and want to know what you guys have used.

16. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

Hey Layitdown, with an 82 maxim you need two: one from master to junction block between forks, and one from there to caliper.

I think I may go for the speedlinez for mine. I suppose you just measure them, and order the same, or slightly larger (rather than smaller)

17. LayItDown

LayItDown Member

So I can't just delete the junction block? My buddy has virago. Everything swaps but his only has one hose. Can't see why I can't just run one

18. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

Well, for rubber hoses its a pressure issue - why they made it that way in the 1st place, but search the forum - maybe braided steel are strong enough to handle the full stretch without a split

19. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

What's wrong with the junction block? When I upgraded to SS lines the junction block made it easy. XJ4Ever had the block to caliper SS line that had exactly the right angular configuration & length-Remember that SS lines will absolutely NOT twist or otherwise allow flexible rearrangement. You can bend them but they won't twist at all. The standard top line wouldn't work for my bike because I have much lower and somewhat shorter overall bars, but it was easy I just rode the bike to a shop that makes custom lines (their primary customer is airplane hydraulic lines) and we sized and fitted the top line with the right orientation. $35.00 customized, looks sharp, and very functional.

And yes I expect the bike to be a smoldering hunk of metal in the distant future but those SS lines will still be intact.

20. ken007

ken007 Member

have had braided lines for about 10 months i think, no comparison, just today when a stop light went orange i decided to stop instead of going thru it, just to practice an emergency stop, wouldnt have even tried with the old rubber lines, piece of cake, people need these.