1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

brake lines, Rubber or Stainless braided steel

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by nirrozero, Feb 2, 2011.

1. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Rubber lines expand when you apply pressure on them, the stainless ones don't. You get way better braking power and the brakes feel way better. You will feel the difference trust me.

MN

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Certainly you can delete the junction block. It's a concession to production flexibility, nothing more.

That being said, it does make it easier when changing bars, for instance.

I too have substantially lower bars than stock; I got my properly "clocked" custom shorter-length upper hose from XJ4Ever.

3. itjstagame

itjstagame New Member

As a note about the dangers of rubber hoses. I really thought I would have to rebuild my MC or caliper, pulling the front brake did nothing and while I could sort of bleed the line down to the caliper, I was not getting much pressure, but was baffled that I got tons of pressure directly at the MC. I then tested at the end of the first line and had less pressure, at the end of the junction was about the same and at the end of the 2nd was practically none.

So I got a custom SS single line, I saw no reason to keep the unnecessary junction box, it just seems to be a future point of failure to me. With the SS I have tons of pressure to the caliper and the front brake system works great with no other changes.

Keep in mind the rubber lines, dated 1980, did not leak or 'show' any problems, but through their flexing alone I had 0 braking power (I'm guessing there was an internal leak or cracking to be to this point of failure).

As for the line itself, I requested 42" (this is a 1980 Maxim), and it is about 1" too long. It looks fine, doesn't stick out at all and I just routed it a bit longer, but my guess would be 41" would fit just about exactly, so maybe go with 41.5" for a margin of error.

I went with Rennsports and he gave me a swivel head on one end so I didn't need to worry about twisting the SS or having it custom to the exact angle. It was something absurd like $40 shipped.

4. crewwolfy

crewwolfy Member

Just an FYI, I don't believe SS lines are lifelong parts, as someone suggested earlier. The outside is coated and protected, but the same rubber hose lies within, and is subject to the same degradation (perhaps at a slower rate). Additionally, that coating and protection can hide flaws and damage in the hose that would otherwise be noticeable.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of SS lines; they're a great upgrade that I'll be making myself. But they should still be replaced after several years of use. (I'll let someone more knowledgeable than myself suggest how many years that is.)

5. AndrewT009

AndrewT009 New Member

The key factor in the longevity of SS brake lines in relation to brake fluid is the PTFE(Teflon) polymer that the inner tubing is made out of. The PTFE's high electronegativity (resistance to electron's which hinders chemical reactions) as a result of the ionic bond between the Carbon and Fluorine molecules allows the PTFE tubing to remain intact for a very long time (much longer than the average lifespan on most automobiles) even in a harsh chemical environment. This material characteristic of the PTFE coupled with the strength and protection of the SS braid sheathing and (generally) a PVC or similar outer coating make these types of brake lines extremely durable.

6. aSECAwrencher

aSECAwrencher Member

front brakes were the first thing I ever had to do the '83 XJ9. Tried the rubber ones, still felt squishy. Fortunately for me, Spiegler factory is right down the road.