1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

CAN ANYONE MAKE THESE BIKES TAKE A CORNER?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by HeWentForItSir, Jan 19, 2011.

?

Will PODS make my bike handle better?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HeWentForItSir

HeWentForItSir New Member

Wow. I must say. This was a very impressive, thorough and quick response on all your parts. Thank you for all being so receptive and understanding to my first post even though it was a bit of a rant! This really inspires me. It makes me feel all warm and tingly inside to know you all care so much about these bikes!

I will def look in to a PS spring and change the oil to something thicker up front and replace the rear dampers. My entire riding career has been on 2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes flying through rough rocky terrain on the mtn behind my house in upstate NY, so i consider my bike control and seat-of-the-pants sensor to be in good order. I have adapted my riding style to this bike, i have found the smooth and delicate rhythm of this bike through the corners, i just dislike that i cant make a sudden maneuver with out an extensive setup(which you usually don't have an opp. for in the real world when that 90yo women pulls out infront of you)

Im thinking that if i also change my riding position into something a bit lower and the bars a bit straighter, that it'll help substantially in quick maneuvers. Its just strange going to a shaft drive from a chain, that whole lift and drop thing being reversed is odd lol

I assume PODS are related to the carbs? independent air filters? PVC intake?

2. grinder

grinder Member

o dear.here we go again. :lol:

3. HeWentForItSir

i searched and didnt find much explaining it but can tell this is some sort of debate

4. HeWentForItSir

So, not to open a can of worms....but i assume pods...would be a pvc pipe running to all 4 carb inlets that intakes air thru a single or set of small cone shaped air filters? i also can assume that the argument against them is the extensive carb tuning it takes to get an even and adequate mix to all 4 carbs?

Wouldnt this net minimal gains without cams and some P&Ping? Ive learned from my VW crowd that have swapped individual carbs to their 4bangers that it is very hard to get them running correctly. Most use CV carbs over Mikuni and hitachi double carb sets.

As a simple(not really) solution, has anyone tried reducing the size of the inlet pipes and then routing 4 EQUAL length pipes with a oval or square filter on both sides of the bike? thus reducing the air flow to allow for easier tuning and still allowing equal airflow between all carbs?

personally, it seems like a "I wish it were faster" kinda thing...lol make the motor WANT more air before you force it to have more air...

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

"Pods" are individual air filters, installed directly on the carbs.

These bikes utilize CV carbs, which do not like an infinite, unrestricted air supply; they work best with a restricted "finite" amount of air.

The debate is between those who feel that they can make a bike run just fine on pods, without modification; and those who, aware of the science behind it, and based on experience, say it ain't so.

Just do a forum search on "pods" and read the debate, such that it is. There's a lot of "don't confuse me with the facts when I've already made up my mind" plus often extreme partisanship in regard to the issue. The answer is simple science.

And you're absolutely right; it does no good to try to force more into a motor than it wants to pull (unless you're turbo or supercharging.)

6. BillB

BillB Active Member

hilarious... you are trying to insight a riot

7. theadbrewer

theadbrewer Member

Pods? I thought this was about cornering not making your bike faster.

8. bobberaha

bobberaha Member

Didn't you get the memo everything is about pods on this site.

9. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

Attack Of The Pod People?

:wink:

10. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

whats a pod lol I thought it was a sack on a tree that holds seeds lol.

Ok will the starter of this post change the title to will pods make my bike corner better

11. theadbrewer

theadbrewer Member

Pod's do make your bike corner better by reducing weight and increasing HP to assist with tire slide when you really get into it.

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Don't overlook a good set of racing stripes and an "ACE Cafe" decal.

13. HeWentForItSir

Please vote...This is a pressing matter which needs to be addressed immediately.

14. venlis

venlis Member

they do, they make the bike suck more air in directly from the sides, thus smoothening the aerodynamics, balancing the bike and making it significantly more stable = better cornering.

you might want to listen to fitz on this matter also..

about the racing stripes i mean

15. HeWentForItSir

I shall be installing pods and racing stripes, maybe a bent plate too, helps the drag coefficient.

16. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Don't forget to take the baffles out, the extremely loud sound waves part the air in front of you, also reducing drag.

17. theadbrewer

theadbrewer Member

A flux capacitor increases the efficiency of the pods ability to increase handling at 88 MPH by 1 gigiwatt.

18. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Yes indeed by my calculations, the airbox wieght equipt with filter is substantially more to that of the pods, thereby lowering center of gravity, hence forthly, better cornering. Thats why I went with pods.

19. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

(sniff, sniff)........I smell sarcasm..........

20. grinder

grinder Member

i thought it was 1.21 gigawatts?...........or maybe its reduced to 1 gigawatt with pods???