1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Can I just put different carburetors on my Seca 750 is there someplace or someone I can just go to a

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Reed whitehead, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Reed whitehead

Reed whitehead Member Premium Member

1 sets kind of in pieces and the other set is perfectly cleaned and tuned I thought and it still won't run and I really want to throw them in the garbage there's somebody can help me out with this I'd be more than happy to give them to you

2. Reed whitehead

Okay so that didn't work very well I'm really not into talking on the internet here's my phone number Redacted. Posting your phone number on a public forum is asking for trouble. if someone would just drop me a line call me and say yeah use these carburetors they work perfectly on the s e c a of 750 I'll mail you out those carburetors that I have right away

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2021
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I think that what you need is help with diagnosis, not another set of carbs.

What's happening when you try to start it?

4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I disagree with @k-moe here (not the first time). What you need is a carb rebuild by an expert, someone who has done these numbers of times before, so you can fit and ride, with only minimal tweaking to get perfect. See if @hogfiddles will swap you a set, assuming that number below your address says you’re in the US? Then at least you’ll have one thing right, before learning about the myriad of other things that could trip you up. Send him a message by clicking on inbox at the top right of the home page.
    If you’re in the UK I could do your carbs, but somehow I doubt it.

5. k-moe

Actually we do agree on this. I was heading in that direction pending more information. The teacher in me is reluctant to give advice without being satisfied that I understand the situation enough. Sometimes that leads to me seeming like an idiot though

6. Reed whitehead

At one point I could keep it running barely but it had to be on full choke and I had to constantly gas the throttle and now I can't get it to start if I shoot starting fluid in their it fires right up and then burn that off and dies I guess my problem is taking them off and put them back on probably 5 different time. You know I made the little stand to set the floats and the fuel level and then they don't work it's demoralizing but on a positive note I can take them off and put them back on in about an hour and 15 minutes but the first time I did it took like 10 hours as far as having somebody do it for me what you think of the fair price I understand there's extenuating circumstances and stuff might happen but ballpark me

7. k-moe

Please reply with a specific list of everything that you have done to the carbs, including what brand of replacement parts you used (If any).

As for price, @hogfiddles charges fairly, and does excellent work. I'd send my stuff to him instead of a local shop if I ever needed carb work done that was beyond my ability, or if I didn't have the time.

8. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Again I would recommend this solution. Having rebuilt 3 sets of very rough, gummed racks, I can say there are a number of things that could trip you up, even the bench syncing is important if you want it to run reasonably well.
    With one proviso - you must clean your tank...

k-moe likes this.
  9. 68vistacruiser

68vistacruiser New Member

Silly question, but are you carbs getting gas from the tank? Your petcock might be bad.

Noahsxj likes this.