1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb cleaning adventure/questions thread!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kleraudio, Jul 24, 2013.

1. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Should I get those on amazon, or Len's got pretty much the same thing, minus the gasket, but the seats come with screens for 100 bucks. Kind of hate to spend 40 bucks more for screens, are they really necessary?

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

While you have the Jets and Main Nozzles (Emulsion Tubes) out; FLUSH the AIR and FUEL "Passages".

Use a Bubble Syringe.
    With the Syringe filled with a few ounces of Carb Cleaner:
    Flush the Main AIR Passage thru the Main AIR Jet down to the orifice at the inside diameter of the Bore housing the Main Nozzle.

Flush the Siphon Tubes thru the Enrichment Plunger hole.

Flush the Pilot AIR Jet Passage thru the Pilot FUEL Jet port.
    Flush the Pilot AIR Jet thru the Pilot MIXTURE orifice while plugging the Pilot FUEL Jet housing.

3. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Thanks Rick. I did all of this tonight. It was already very very clean and no jets were jammed up whatsoever.

The thing that troubles me is I sprayed the enrichment circuit section on the float bowl and got the big long stream of carb cleaner (not in my face, pointed that thing AWAY from me) on all four float bowls. I pulled all the pilot screws and all the plungers. Any idea why my bike won't start unless I push the start button AND throttle a few times at the same time? With the carbs this clean, why doesn't the bike just fire right up when I push start?

Thanks everyone for the help. Now I need to figure out how to remove these very stripped drain screws.....

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Theory, floats leak a little, that's richness, when u open the throttle at cranking rpm you add air and it starts. If u start with choke u add extra gas to what already leaked in and that makes it too rich.
    Fixing the floats may change how it starts

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

There's a writeup on kzrider.com about jis drivers in the tools forum, check it out
    I'm on a phone and links are just too hard

6. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Polock,

When you say fixing the floats, you mean the float height? Or the needle and seat?

Plugs are black. So it's definitely rich.

7. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

see the write-up in your other thread about removing stuck float bowl drain screws....propane torch & olive method was great....hopefully your screws aren't all buggered up....& you can get some meat of the Phillips on it....be patient...they will come off.....last resort...use screw extractor bit....

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Come on man, I'm old, typing on a virtual keyboard on a smart fone.
    Gimme a break. Floats to me is the black plastic things and everything associated with them.
    If all the parts don't work, nothing works and the floats leak

9. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Polock, you're a funny man. Ordering new seats and needles from Len. :)

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

did you take off the c clips off of the ends of the throttle shaft and have a look at the 2 outside seals?

11. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

I did not.... which one is the throttle shaft? Sorry man, i'm still learning. I'm assuming that's the thick shaft beneath the enrichment circuit shaft? How do I remove the c clips without damaging them?

Are those seals replaceable without breaking apart the rack?

12. fiveofakind

kleraudio....you can get to only 2 of them......1 each on the outside of carbs #1 & #4 only.....you must break the rack to replace all throttle shaft seals...there are a total of 8.....2 per carb.........

If you break the rack....you might as well replace the fuel rail o-rings as well.....there are 6 of them......3 tubes with 2 o-rings each.....

The throttle shaft is the shaft with the sync screws on it......you have to break the rack to separate the carbs........

Here is a tutorial on replacing the throttle shaft seals & fuel o-rings....

http://www.xj4ever.com/hitachi%20thrott ... 0seals.pdf

Dont get discouraged by all of this.....it can be overwhelming at first but stick with it.....you will rewarded in the long run........we are here to help......I have had my XJ750J Maxim for 30 years......they are a great bike.....I am currently resurrrecting & restoring it back to health...

13. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Jeez that looks like a nightmare. breaking the rack will have to wait till I actually have a workspace. My friends garage is no longer accessible (his g/f is back, she makes the rules, lol, poor guy)

14. fiveofakind

well, he needs a new girlfriend.......a garage is a man cave for working on bikes....

Breaking the rack is going the 1 extra yard.......after doing the Whole Nine Yards by Rick Massey......most owners do not go this extra yard......

but doing a complete teardown and replacing throttle shaft seals & fuel O-rings is nothing short of doing it right......

You can put it off for now......but if the bike does not vac-sync it could be a number of things......leaky throttle shafts letting air in.....

My suggestion to you is not break the rack for now.....you have your hands full as it is.....

15. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

when u move the throttle , u see the butterflies rotate, the shaft their on is the throttle shaft. on the outside of #1 and #4 carb you can see the end of the shaft, it has a c-clip on it. There should be a place on the clip to put a small screwdriver, right next to the shaft. put your screwdriver in there and twist it the clip will come off (catch it or it will go into orbit).
    Now under the washer is your seal. is it dry and hard, bad. is it melted and gooey, bad. those are the only 2 you can see without breaking the rack, you have to use those to judge the condition of the rest of them.

16. fiveofakind

(catch it or it will go into orbit).

Now that is funny....got a good laugh out of that one....we all have been there one time or another......

Beaver Falls.....I am originally from York, Pa.....go Nittany Lions....

17. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Polock, you never cease to make me laugh!

thanks guys, I'll check those out monday after work. Rack is at my desk at work right now.

18. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Breaking the rack to do Shaft Seals and Fuel Gallery O-rings is something you should should do at the end of ...

November! Not, ...

July.

Unless those Parts DESPERATELY need replacement ...
    (Keyword: Desperately)

Fuh-gedd-eh-bow-dit!

a) Don't make a Good situation ... Bad.
    b) Don't make a Bad situation ... Worse!

19. fiveofakind

Kleraudio,

Some of my best riding has been in Colorado.....bought my bike new in Grand Junction in '82.....rode all around western Colorado.......San Juans mtn range ( Million Dollar Highway ) was my favorite ride....from Montrose to Durango....prettiest part of the state....IMHO

20. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Yea man, that's awesome! I can't wait to get in the hills. MSF class is this weekend. instructor says im a really smooth rider, so hopefully those twisties are in my future. I was gonna ask how the carbs do in high altitudes, but you just answered that question!

I can't wait to try the million dollar hwy. You now live where I very badly want to live. How do you like it out there? I've been here a touch over 2 years now and really like it, but San Diego really grabbed me when I visited a long time ago.

Rick, thank you man, I really didn't want to make a bad situation worse right now! Maybe when winter comes and I can secure some sort of 'not' outdoor storage i'll try and tackle that job :)