1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carbs leaking

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Nickxj4420, Apr 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Nickxj4420

Nickxj4420 New Member

I have an 85 xj700 recently bought. Ran ok needed work. I started with cleaning the fuel tank (rust) . After I cleaned the tank I hooked it back up and the carbs were leaking. Leaking from the over flow line between 3 and 4 carbs. I thought ok sticking floats or needs to be adjusted. I cracked them open adjusted them all to spec cleaned it out THOROUGHLY and replaced all o-rings for t-joints and fuel passages. The carbs were already rebuilt though ...new jets diaphrams float seats and needles. I thought weird but ok. Slapped it back together and its still leaking out of the needle jet area....with everything hooked up I can pull up on the piston valve and watch fuel coming out from underneath....the needles looked to be in great shape and all 4 are doing it....running out of ideas...help!!! Please!!!

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Was it the seller who claimed that the carbs were rebuilt?
    Did he provide proof?

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  3. Nickxj4420

Nickxj4420 New Member

It was the seller...no proof other than the packaging from the kit....however when I open the carbs up and compare it to the owners manuel diagram, everything looks the same except it looks as though the seller used a different needle jet. Seller told me some 1985 virago carb parts were interchangeable. So I'm assuming that's what's in there. Only thing it looks like he didn't replace was the washer under the needle jet. I will replace those today hook it up and hope for the best. If it still leaks I will purchase a full carb rebuild kit.

4. k-moe

hogfiddles likes this.
  5. Nickxj4420

Nickxj4420 New Member

I replaced the washers lifted the floats while they were open an connected fuel line an let er rip...no drips...floats an needle doing its job! Put everything back together an not a drip!! The links you posted are already bookmarked..such in depth information ...so happy I found this site and very grateful for your attention and info...Thanks much again man!!

k-moe likes this.
  6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yaaaay

7. Nickxj4420

Nickxj4420 New Member

So still no fuel leaks which is great. However when I installed the carbs to the bike and turned it on, which it fired right up...easiest start she's ever had started like a new bike it was awesome!!! She idled high....when I blip the throttle the rpm is slow to come down...but it still idles about 4000... Big idle screw does nothing. It seemed when I choked it, it would bog down but climb back to 4000....i strongly suspect the butterfly valves are not set correctly. I'll remove the pods and check the valves. Oil have not checked the idle mix screws yet. Tomorrow I will find out where those screws are set at. She also seemed to be backfiring more out of the left side exhaust...so carb 1 and 2. However I haven't adjusted valves or synced motor yet...i planned on just driving this summer since she ran just fine before all this...then in the winter do the valves synch the motor and synch the carbs. ...any other advice on this high rev situation ? Thanks in advance guys

8. k-moe

You have a vacuum leak.
    Throttle shaft seals are the prime suspect if they have not been replaced.

hogfiddles likes this.
  9. Nickxj4420

Nickxj4420 New Member

They definitely have not been replaced....would that kinda explain the backfire out of the left exhaust or is that the carb 1 or 2 fuel level too high possibly? I will inspect seals tomorrow

10. k-moe

Just order new ones from Chacal, and replace them. By the time you have the carbs torn down far enough to inspect the seals, you're at the point where they can be replaced. Backfiring when the throttle is closed is a sign of having a lean condition.